We dont look special by any means

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Paul Keevil » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:50 pm

This is a bit of a misleading title I know but there is a point to it.

As I was watching the game, and particularly when we were 1-0 down, I thought we were nothing special. Not like the WBA or Fulham's or Bournemouth.

But then I see the table and we are only 3 points off the top.

So turning the title on its head - Imagine if we got 1 or 2 players in and we were special. This league could be ours!
Looking for a Photographer?

Accredited Champions League, Premiership and FL Photographer
Cover RL, RU, Motorsport etc
Accredited - 2012 Olympic Games
Attend "Celebrity Events" - papping
Weddings & Porfolio Work
Paul Keevil

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: We dont look special by any means

Postby welshrarebit » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:59 pm

We do work hard though. They play for each other. We are the sum of all parts. We got promoted with a side like that not so long ago.
welshrarebit

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:01 pm

Of course we’re not special.
We haven’t got the players to be special.
We have other attributes but pretty football or special are not part of those attributes unfortunately.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby wez1927 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:01 pm

We are very hard to beat and never give up ,these youngsters will only get better too .
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby Sven » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:02 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:This is a bit of a misleading title I know but there is a point to it.

As I was watching the game, and particularly when we were 1-0 down, I thought we were nothing special. Not like the WBA or Fulham's or Bournemouth.

So turning the title on its head - Imagine if we got 1 or 2 players in and we were special. This league could be ours!

Paul, you make a great point and it's one the manager needs to take to his Board :clap:

Am I right in thinking we can still get 'loan' players and non-contract players in? :laughing5:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:04 pm

Sven wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:This is a bit of a misleading title I know but there is a point to it.

Paul, you make a great point and it's one the manager needs to take to his Board :clap:

Am I right in thinking we can still get 'loan' players and non-contract players in? :laughing5:

Non contract certainly can but think loans no as they're part of transfer window..
pembroke allan

Postby keanoswinklepickers » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:07 pm

The football was shocking from both sides it’s gloss on gloss with a win. Bowen in my opinion totally out of his depth. Too many players going for the same ball and losing out with Forest picking up second ball. Relying on Bagan for width going forward but it’s like rugby we get up the pitch and rely on a throw. Mick is dire football!!
keanoswinklepickers

Postby Abergavenny » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:08 pm

No we don’t look special but 3pts off the top without playing well We have also given games to Colwill,Bagan,Sang, Harris,Bowen ,Evans , McGuiness and Brown in our first 6 games
Moore has not been match fit or sharpe as yet as well The more i look at it not bad position considering
Abergavenny

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:33 pm

keanoswinklepickers wrote:The football was shocking from both sides it’s gloss on gloss with a win. Bowen in my opinion totally out of his depth. Too many players going for the same ball and losing out with Forest picking up second ball. Relying on Bagan for width going forward but it’s like rugby we get up the pitch and rely on a throw. Mick is dire football!!

Beauty is in the eye of beholder same as performance on football field... nothing long about 2nd goal in fact well crafted.. as for 1st cannot score uf ball doesnt go into area somehow? If you watch football as much as I do you will see that the long throw in is very popular by lots teams even some in premier league.... we have 3 players over 6'3 very good idea playing it to them on ground isn't it..... at end day performance overall wasnt the worst seen under mick and as they say table doesn't lie and 3 off top is excellent if we are playing shocking football? You forget the players you mention are new to 1st team and like all players young or old they need time to adjust to championship football which is not like any league in world for its intensity and relentless pace not to mention its unpredictability ?
pembroke allan

Postby Blueman39 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:52 pm

Up to the substitutions, we played hoof football particularly in the first half.....awful to watch ..
But there’s no doubting the players attitude, we just don’t have any skill players in midfield.
We beat the worst Forest team in living memory....a win is a win and that’s that .
Blueman39

Postby New Day Rising » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:57 pm

You can only look special with funding and quality,M.M has inherited a physical tall disruptive type side , he can't replace all of them ,or convert them into ball carrying geniuses,
he has to play to thier strengths and supplemented the side with young Welsh lads ,and scrape wins , which is what is happening.
New Day Rising

Postby Crayfish » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:06 pm

A fit Tomlin and Vassell would make a difference but no one will be holding their breath waiting for that. Have to take into account that we were missing Giles too. All in all it was a very positive performance given how many youngsters were in the team.

A worry is Collins is not much cop up front on his own unless he is with a big guy and we don't want to be drawn into having to play Moore for 90 minutes of every single game. Maybe Simba will be another one who comes through the youth set up.
Crayfish

Postby keanoswinklepickers » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:01 pm

Im sorry Pembroke Alan but the majority of our play is hot potato, hoof it, hook it, head it. There must have been 15 -20 keepy up headers between both sides at one point in the game. Correct me if I’m wrong. Cloughy said gras is for playing football on.
keanoswinklepickers

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:14 pm

Absolutely Spot on Paul :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:20 pm

keanoswinklepickers wrote:Im sorry Pembroke Alan but the majority of our play is hot potato, hoof it, hook it, head it. There must have been 15 -20 keepy up headers between both sides at one point in the game. Correct me if I’m wrong. Cloughy said gras is for playing football on.

The first half was awful but after the subs we definitely had them on the ropes and deserved our win. We were far more effective after the substitutions.
The quality of football certainly isn’t for the purist and as I neutral I certainly wouldn’t watch us but I’ve supported the club for over 40 years and want to see us win….playing well when we do it comes second.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:50 pm

keanoswinklepickers wrote:Im sorry Pembroke Alan but the majority of our play is hot potato, hoof it, hook it, head it. There must have been 15 -20 keepy up headers between both sides at one point in the game. Correct me if I’m wrong. Cloughy said gras is for playing football on.

Both sides did it so not just us then?
Can pick holes all day long in citys style over past 6 yrs but we've managed to do what most haven't achieved in their history in those years..... yes football is meant to be played on grass ask swansea fans if they like playing football on grass 711 passes yesterday didn't score yet we had 21 shots on goal playing hoof it hook it head it football? heading goals we are the kings of in championship not surprised as got 3 players over 6'2 so best idea is to play on ground to them in area :D
football has many ways of playing it depending on the players you have that's what make teams successful playing to their strengths. :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Scoularite » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:55 pm

To be fair, Mick has been constrained by funds available, the team is much younger, works hard, and will only get better as they get more experience.

I also thought Rubin Colwill took both his goals really well, with the first just getting into the right place at the right time and making the most of it, while the second was almost a Harry Wilson special!
Scoularite

Postby cardiff 74 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:06 am

We are special .special in our own way of playing and we can play a bit our second goal his testament to that we got special fans as well mm can see that as well
cardiff 74

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:42 am

I might be on my own with this opinion but I love hoof ball football! It would drive me mad watching teams such as Swansea pass in around for 20 minutes only to end up back at the same place they started from.

The direct game is marvellous to watch provided it is done properly and has an end product. We played the game well yesterday and got an end product (a 2-1 win) :occasion5: so I for one am well pleased :ayatollah:
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Whistler » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:25 am

its interesting seeing the comments about young players starting to get game time, its something that this club has not done for a number of years, in fact some managers have not even taken a look at the kids, if you look 45 miles down the M4 our "quaint cousins" have certainly out paced us in bringing kids through. I have said it previously that maybe we are at a point that the City version of the MU class of 92 are starting to emerge at last and this could be quite a turning point. This spreads hope and ambition throughout all levels at the club, and what a lively chant it is "Hes one of our own"

The furture is bright the future is Blue :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
Whistler

Postby Bluebina » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:27 am

I love watching every opposing Manager we've played basically saying.

That was hard there are not many teams in this division like them, they test you with constant balls into your box they are all over over six foot three and batter you for 97 minutes, thank God we don't have to play them again for another four months :lol: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:
Bluebina

Postby Bluebina » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:33 am

Bluebina wrote:I love watching every opposing Manager we've played basically saying.

That was hard there are not many teams in this division like them, they test you with constant balls into your box they are all over over six foot three and batter you for 97 minutes, thank God we don't have to play them again for another four months :lol: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Houghton this week

"Cardiff are a very direct and physical side, as big a side as I've seen in this division.

"We found it difficult to deal with that physicality, we had to deal with it better, then only way to overcome that is to be better on the ball.

"We lost that game in that period of time where they had the upper hand.

"When they ramp the game up we had to do the same, it's not easy, but you've got to try and stop that source into the box.

"We weren't able to do that." :thumbup:
Bluebina

Postby Escott1927 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:58 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Can pick holes all day long in citys style over past 6 yrs but we've managed to do what most haven't achieved in their history in those years..... yes football is meant to be played on grass ask swansea fans if they like playing football on grass 711 passes yesterday didn't score yet we had 21 shots on goal playing hoof it hook it head it football? heading goals we are the kings of in championship not surprised as got 3 players over 6'2 so best idea is to play on ground to them in area :D
football has many ways of playing it depending on the players you have that's what make teams successful playing to their strengths. :thumbup:

It not a simple case of playing like Swansea or playing like us. You can play passing football without playing like Swansea currently are. Without Moore we are very poor as we are so reliant on the longball. If we lose him for any significant period of time, we are going to struggle. No issue with playing to our strengths but hate how we give away possession so often by pumping it out of defence at every opportunity, especially when there are simple passes available.
Escott1927

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:53 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

It not a simple case of playing like Swansea or playing like us. You can play passing football without playing like Swansea currently are. Without Moore we are very poor as we are so reliant on the longball. If we lose him for any significant period of time, we are going to struggle. No issue with playing to our strengths but hate how we give away possession so often by pumping it out of defence at every opportunity, especially when there are simple passes available.

Always say football is about different styles and my response is to suggestion we are a hoofball team when clearly we play to our strengths and do score good goals like 2nd one.....and yes will struggle without moore as I put he is only striker who can actually play our so called system past 3yrs or so no striker as been able to play in it... funny part is if we don't hoof it upfield we just spend time passing back and forth between defenders and midfield and going nowhere until make mistake or lose possession..
pembroke allan

Postby Bakedalasker » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:15 pm

Shame we never pulled off the Bale deal.
Bakedalasker

Postby maccydee » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:20 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Shame we never pulled off the Bale deal.

Would have made us special.

Speaking of lying berks where is Daya lately?
maccydee

Postby New Day Rising » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:15 am

Being special isn't a guarantee of success, hardwork, fitness,team togetherness, determination , discipline and a dash of skill usually delivers success.
New Day Rising

Postby wez1927 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:51 pm

maccydee wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Shame we never pulled off the Bale deal.

Would have made us special.

Speaking of lying berks where is Daya lately?

:lol:
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby piledriver64 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:23 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

I might be on my own with this opinion but I love hoof ball football! It would drive me mad watching teams such as Swansea pass in around for 20 minutes only to end up back at the same place they started from.

The direct game is marvellous to watch provided it is done properly and has an end product. We played the game well yesterday and got an end product (a 2-1 win) :occasion5: so I for one am well pleased :ayatollah:

I don’t think you are alone, football is about goal mouth action and physical contact.

On Sunday we got stuck in and had over twenty attempts on goal.

Warnock used to say his teams got the ball in the box and created some excitement. I can see that.

I remember being bored to tears by Slade and, to some extent, Mackay because it was all about control.

Give me a bit of passionate football over control any day !! Mind you, a combination of the two (like Klopp demands) would be even better !!
piledriver64

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:15 am

piledriver64 wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:

I don’t think you are alone, football is about goal mouth action and physical contact.

On Sunday we got stuck in and had over twenty attempts on goal.

Warnock used to say his teams got the ball in the box and created some excitement. I can see that.

I remember being bored to tears by Slade and, to some extent, Mackay because it was all about control.

Give me a bit of passionate football over control any day !! Mind you, a combination of the two (like Klopp demands) would be even better !!

Good post :thumbup:
bluebirdoct1962

Return to General Chat