A VIEW FROM SOMEONE WHO WAS THERE: COVENTRY V CARDIFF

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Bakedalasker » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:04 pm

Well talk about coming back down to earth with a bump. Everything about the Forest game had the opposite tonight. Our support was subdued and the performance on the pitch was worrying.

From the start it was clear who was going to play football on the ground and who was going to play it in the air. The team that played it on the ground got it off to perfection while the team trying to do it acrobatic style need to go back to the drawing board. Coventry, no prizes for guessing they play it on the ground, ripped us apart and deserved their lead. Besides stunning the Cardiff side it knocked the wind out of the Cardiff supporters.

We tried to reply with our aerial threat but it just was not there tonight. Be in a throw in or corner we just never troubled their keeper. In fact our targets were all on their knees trying to get to the ball. The quality of the deliveries was very poor. Adding to that take the battle in the midfield the home side were coming out 90% on top. The worrying part for me as we came up to half time was who did we have on the bench to change things?

It was no surprise that Colwill never returned for the 2nd half. He went from hero to zero. He joined Harris on zero as both were substituted by Collins and Bowen who then both returned zero. In fact Collins hits the negatives but a bit about that later. These 2 changes made no difference as the game went into the second half. Coventry just seemed more in control and it felt like it was only a question of tie before they got their second.

So as the game went on it was clear to me our only chance was if the home side made a mistake and we capitalised on it. Well the chance came as we went into the last quarter of the game. What look like a comfortable situation for the home side with their left full back in control of the ball by the touchline he then slipped allowing Ng to collect and send a pinpoint cross into the 6 yard area that look like it just needed a tap in. This happened at the far end from us supporters and the disbelief on everyone's faces when the header from Collins went over could be felt in our section. A massive cheers echoed around the stadium from the home support and you just knew that was our chance gone.

You could hear a pin drop in the away end and the only thing that woke us up out of our despondency was when the home fans starting singing at us "You're f%^&ing shit you're f%^&ing shit". We replied "We're f%^&ing shit, We're f$%^king shit". Yeah it was painful watching to the dire end.

Their sending off at the end was the only cheer you heard from us. Absolute a stupid tackle by their guy as the ball was in our half by the corner flag and he went in 2 footed from behind. It was right in front of us so watching him walk to the changing room was little consolation.

The final whistle blew and I had witnessed on of the quite performances by our fans for a long time. There was a lot of booing and thumps down as some of our players came over to us. They quickly realised that was not a good thing to do.

To be honest I'm expecting some poor performances as we go from this transition with the youngsters. This performance was too low for my liking and you could feel the worry as we left the stadium.
Bakedalasker

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: A VIEW FROM SOMEONE WHO WAS THERE: COVENTRY V CARDIFF

Postby worcester_ccfc » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:50 pm

Thanks Ian, another great report.

Keep these coming when you're at games :thumbright:
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby AfricanBluebird » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:40 am

Thanks Ian. A really disappointing but not surprising result.

We are an extremely poor side with the cracks being papered over by our set pieces or on Sunday, Colwills goals.

I thought for the first 20 minutes of the second half Bowen changed us for the better. We had more of the ball and his passing was excellent. We looked less disjointed. However, cleverly Coventry dropped an extra man in there and that completely mitigated Bowens impact and once again the team were hoofing the ball to on one.

There will be plenty of games like this, sadly, as we don't have the guile or intelligence on the pitch.
AfricanBluebird

Postby Canton104 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:47 am

Forrest fan told me walking out of stadium we were one of the loudest that’s been to them in years. Last night the atmosphere before during and after was terrible. I can’t remember when we last played that bad. McCarthy is laughable.
Canton104

Postby blemmy » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:59 am

Outpaced, outthought, out of energy and ideas - just about summed us up last night sadly.

Also out of money to do anything about it.

:( :( :( :( :(
blemmy

Return to General Chat