Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Mick McCarthy:”They were almost the perfect Championship”

Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:47 pm

Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy:

"It was a difficult result, we were playing against one of the teams that will finish in the top two I think.”

"They're an almost perfect Championship team, it was always going to be a tough ask but for 55 minutes I was delighted.”

"We had set up to frustrate them, we blinked once and they played it through us and then we got opened up a bit, but they kept going and fought to the very end."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Mick McCarthy:”They were almost the perfect Championship

Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:55 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy:

"It was a difficult result, we were playing against one of the teams that will finish in the top two I think.”

"They're an almost perfect Championship team, it was always going to be a tough ask but for 55 minutes I was delighted.”

"We had set up to frustrate them, we blinked once and they played it through us and then we got opened up a bit, but they kept going and fought to the very end."

We're at home Mick - try taking the game to them for a change instead of "setting up to frustrate them".

Such a conservative way to approach a home game which saw him starting the game with arguably eight or nine defensively minded players.

Constantly playing the percentages and unwilling to take any risks.

Keep it tight and hope something drops for us from a set piece.

Terribly limited way of approaching the game.

Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:03 pm

He has never had the mentality to take the game to an opponent.

Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:05 pm

davids wrote:

We're at home Mick - try taking the game to them for a change instead of "setting up to frustrate them".

Such a conservative way to approach a home game which saw him starting the game with arguably eight or nine defensively minded players.

Constantly playing the percentages and unwilling to take any risks.

Keep it tight and hope something drops for us from a set piece.

Terribly limited way of approaching the game.

Said this for ages he is to defensive it took until they scored for him to think about pushing forward ....we actually looked better when the 3 youngsters came on but need different players in defence and midfield to help them mature and cultivate their natural abilities.

Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:59 pm

If miracle of all miracles City stole a 0-0 today TRex Mick would have been dancing with joy.
If that’s the extent of our ambition then I fear for our future.
The last 2 games demonstrated how far we’ve dropped since that new manager bounce last season.
What is the point of McCarthy? Treading water.
If the board had any balls then him and his sidekick would be looking for another club to ruin.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:31 am

Text book old school manager deflection, at least he didn't blame the ref.

If Mick, Choo or Dalman came out and said, We have an aging, expensive, limited core group most of whose contacts are ending in 9 months and we just got to hang in there, then there would be murder. But IMO that's whats happening.

I think there are teams we will go at, some 50/50 and about 6 we'll park the bus. Bournemouth even at home was a park the bus although they didn't look clinical enough and there are a lot of mistake in there for top 2 at the end of the season.

Tomlin, Vassell, Murphy, Vaulks, Pack, Flint, Morrison and Ralls free up a lot of salary budget. If we can stay in the division then there are all possibilities. I think in the EFL we'll see a trend of players seeing out their contracts and few transfer fee's.

Micks doing his job, its just going to be a painful season.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:39 am

I agree if we opened up and lost 4 nil imagine the negativity then we have to face facts we were playing a top side as we are not any more we are building again.

Also getting battered 4 nil is no good to confidence either.

Mick is doing what he knows best with limits no manager can slag off their owners as its clear Mick didnt get the money he wanted or us

Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:32 pm

We set up to frustrate them,why don’t we set up to go at teams,and to try and win the game?,would understand if we were playing away,but we were the home team

Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:58 pm

Danny Says wrote:

If miracle of all miracles City stole a 0-0 today TRex Mick would have been dancing with joy.
If that’s the extent of our ambition then I fear for our future.
The last 2 games demonstrated how far we’ve dropped since that new manager bounce last season.
What is the point of McCarthy? Treading water.
If the board had any balls then him and his sidekick would be looking for another club to ruin.

A few supporters said To me yesterday before the game they would take a draw I can understand it if we had equalised late in the game but to take a draw even before the game started and we are at home I find that bizarre the thing is about our team when we are forced to start playing football and not the long ball tactic then we seem to get somewhere I felt when Rubin colwill came on he was getting behind them and causing a few problems

Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:07 pm

caerblue wrote:We set up to frustrate them,why don’t we set up to go at teams,and to try and win the game?,would understand if we were playing away,but we were the home team

Said reality is we literally haven't got the players to do it. Who's guna drive forward from the middle or out wide, beat a man and make something happen? We can't even put 2 passes together. Worst city squad in a very, very long time.