Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ JASON PERRY IS SPOT ON ABOUT CARDIFF “

Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:20 am

Jason Perry on the radio last night.

Jason Perry is right. Cardiff fans will back the youngsters & always support effort, NO matter what the result is.

But they wont support one dimensional aimless football, nor should they. It will drain our Academy players that they are rushing them all at once to save money whether they are Championship players or not they are all being put in the first team squad.

We could also ruin the few class players that are really their.

It’s not only dire football, 4 defeats from our last 5 games and the only win against bottom of the table Forest is also not good enough when your manager is continuing to state he has a big squad, with plenty of cover for all positions.

If in transition for the third year in a row , sort this football too as it’s dire and awful Mick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ JASON PERRY IS SPOT ON ABOUT CARDIFF “

Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:23 am

He is mostly right.

It’s aimless because we aren’t winning. If we were winning fans wouldn’t mind.

I do worry about the effect it will have on Colwill though. He’s gonna have a bad neck.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:32 am

by maccydee » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:23 am

He is mostly right.

It’s aimless because we aren’t winning. If we were winning fans wouldn’t mind.

I agree, but I am one who doesn't want the youngsters playing but not really developing. I want them and the team to develop into a football team and not another "hoofball" side. It's not enjoyable to watch and the better youngsters won't want to stay or even join us in the first place.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:48 am

Jason Perry is totally correct and I think people gave forgot that this is Mick Mccarthys style of football, Ipswich fans found this out and even when in charge of Ireland with premiership players his style never changed

Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:50 am

taxi and take tan with you

no ambition

MM cardiff city are paying you so ffs show some passion miserable as sin rubs of on squad and showing

style of game is dire :banghead:

Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:51 am

They are also being pushed in not because they are all suddenly brilliant, but because they are all cheap £400 a week.

Be lucky if 3 remain Championship players .

Also quality players like Rubin will get ruined by this awful football and surrounded by mediocre players.

Tans puppet and a manager who keeps just saying big squad, quality and strength in depth , what a planet is he on :lol: the same as Neil Harris.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:02 am

Reply FB:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:40 am

I have to disagree I thought Jason Perry's comments were mainly playing to the gallery after a poor 1-0 home defeat.

He seemed to defend MM by saying that it doesn't matter who you had in charge they would have the same squad of players to work with, which had some merit but missed the point he could try other options like play Sang in midfield as a creative player.

However, he seemed to put all the blame on the board. Several times he mentioned giving 'good' contracts to certain players because they (the board) lacked football knowledge. He didn't have the balls to say who that player was but it must have been referring to Lee Tomlin.

It wasn't football knowledge the board lacked it was a crystal ball. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if we go back to the time when LT was given that contract it was just after he had single handily dragged us into the play-offs and nearly pulled off a recovery win against Fulham if it hadn't been for injury.

Imagine if after that we said no to his wage demands and let him leave on a free? The board would have been hammered and accused of 'lacking ambition' etc. etc.

They backed the manager and showed ambition by signing him up but the player himself then returned to his selfish ways and hasn't been seen since. Given the circumstances every other team in the championship would have done the same as us no matter whether they had a 'football' man on the board or not. If Perry wanted to lay blame he should have been brave enough to put it where it belongs, with Lee Tomlin.

Now the board are taking a different route and using younger academy players rather than giving out £1m per year contracts to sick note journey men who only produce one good season in every 3. Surely that is showing that they are learning and not throwing good money after bad and getting us involved in a Derby or Sheffield Wednesday situation.
Last edited by Tony Blue Williams on Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:41 am

We got Moore up front but nobody to put crosses onto his head , TAXI for Mick

Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:08 pm

I said this about the youngsters a few weeks back and got shot down for it. My worry this season has never been that the kids aren't good enough individually it has been the "chuck them in at the deep end" type of way that we have this season. My worry is also that its Mick and TC developing the best crop of youngsters that I can remember.
Back then I hoped Steve Cooper could be persuaded to come here as despite his end with the Jacks I still think he is a decent coach and could make the most of them but now it looks like he is off to Forest and I am not sure I would like the idea of us giving the Jacks the reported £2m compensation for Cooper either or that Tan would even have paid it.
Sadly we are stuck with Mick and his dire tactics, blame the board or blame him (I blame him)....it doesn't really matter, we won't go down but we will finish middle of the table at best and as of next season and losing all the players who will be out of contract what happens to us is anyones guess.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:15 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I have to disagree I thought Jason Perry's comments were mainly playing to the gallery after a poor 1-0 home defeat.

He seemed to defend MM by saying that it doesn't matter who you had in charge they would have the same squad of players to work with, which had some merit but missed the point he could try other options like play Sang in midfield as a creative player.

However, he seemed to put all the blame on the board. Several times he mentioned giving 'good' contracts to certain players because they (the board) lacked football knowledge. He didn't have the balls to say who that player was but it must have been referring to Lee Tomlin.

It wasn't football knowledge the board lacked it was a crystal ball. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if we go back to the time when LT was given that contract it was just after he had single handily dragged us into the play-offs and nearly pulled off a recovery win against Fulham if it hadn't been for injury.

Imagine if after that we said no to his wage demands and let him leave on a free? The board would have been hammered and accused of 'lacking ambition' etc. etc.

They backed the manager and showed ambition by signing him up but the player himself then returned to his selfish ways and hasn't been seen since. Given the circumstances every other team in the championship would have done the same as us no matter whether they had a 'football' man on the board or not. If Perry wanted to lay blame he should have been brave enough to put it where it belongs, with Lee Tomlin.

Now the board are taking a different route and using younger academy players rather than giving out £1m per year contracts to sick note journey men who only produce one good season in every 3. Surely that is showing that they are learning and not throwing good money after bad and getting us involved in a Derby or Sheffield Wednesday situation.

This is a great post and the point about Tomlin is spot on.

Couple of things I would add:

1. The board could and should have put someone in charge who does have more football knowledge - it may have seen some better decision made over the years and I don’t think it is too late for them to do this now.
2. It is Micks job to get the best out of the players and find a style and formation that works…not the boards. Putting Sang in midfield is exactly the type of thing that he should be trying to address give us the chance to play through the middle more or playing Colwill in there rather than sticking him out on the wing. The fact he doesn’t is on him and his approach that frankly means he doesn’t even bother to try and have us playing any kind of football.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:32 pm

He just blamed the board time and time again he said it! Board is to blame..... what they are to blame for is employing the same type of manger on numerous occasions hence the style and players we have... cannot blame the board for not investing in team.... have said it previously we need to get rid mick at end season get in a manager who does not play defensive long ball game getting a manager is not likely to be a problem except ones who think to good to be in championship... city are an excellent project with 8 players out contract to bring in own players..... what we need is the board to realise it's now or never to change direction because keeping mick is going to mean same type football for another season and possibly have 7or8 journey men on 2yr contracts again to hinder a new man when mick goes...

Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:00 pm

Replies FB:

Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:27 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I have to disagree I thought Jason Perry's comments were mainly playing to the gallery after a poor 1-0 home defeat.

Great post Tony.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:33 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Replies FB:

Those Facebook replies don't reflect what Jason Perry said? JP main point was the board didn't have a 'football' man and as a result certain players were given contracts which don't reflect the value they bring to the team.

Therefore there was investment in the team (i.e. Tomlin's new contract) but with hindsight we now know it was a mistake. The trouble is if we hadn't given that contract at the time fans would have gone ballistic!

A lose, lose situation.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:35 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

Those Facebook replies don't reflect what Jason Perry said? JP main point was the board didn't have a 'football' man and as a result certain players were given contracts which don't reflect the value they bring to the team.

Therefore there was investment in the team (i.e. Tomlin's new contract) but with hindsight we now know it was a mistake. The trouble is if we hadn't given that contract at the time fans would have gone ballistic!

A lose, lose situation.

I have said very similar.

It’s the same people too who would moan either way.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:37 pm

Blue78 wrote:
This is a great post and the point about Tomlin is spot on.

Couple of things I would add:

1. The board could and should have put someone in charge who does have more football knowledge - it may have seen some better decision made over the years and I don’t think it is too late for them to do this now.
2. It is Micks job to get the best out of the players and find a style and formation that works…not the boards. Putting Sang in midfield is exactly the type of thing that he should be trying to address give us the chance to play through the middle more or playing Colwill in there rather than sticking him out on the wing. The fact he doesn’t is on him and his approach that frankly means he doesn’t even bother to try and have us playing any kind of football.

I'm not against a football man being on the board to give advice. I don't think it would have stopped Tomlin getting a new contract but it may have avoided other mistake signings like Issacs, Madine etc.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:38 pm

maccydee wrote:

A lose, lose situation.

I have said very similar.

It’s the same people too who would moan either way.

Very, very true

Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:41 pm

I’m lost here??

What’s Lee Tomlin got to do with this topic :lol: :lol:

Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:35 pm

he was just having a go at the ‘board’, having a go to stir up enough calls in the knowledge that they will want him back on again, and that means £££’s to him.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:42 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I’m lost here??

Well if you listened to what Jason Perry said he made reference to "players being given highly paid contracts" because there was no-one on the board with football knowledge.

He didn't mention Lee Tomlin specifically but I think it fair comment that he fits the bill of a player who was given a highly paid contract but has given little or nothing back since. As this thread is about JP comments then again I think it is fair to speculate on who he was talking about.

If you disagree that Tomlin doesn't fit the profile then I would be interested to know why :lol:

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:00 pm

When MM came on board he tried one or two of the fringe players and we went on that fantastic run that pulled us away from a relegation fight and nearly got us in the play offs. So going into this season you can understand the board wanting more of this where they must have encouraged MM to play more of the fringe players.

All the board are interested is doing is remaining in the Championship and reducing the wage bill. If this mark of £400 pw they are paying for these fringe players is true then it will be mission accomplished if we remain in this league. As for the style we play I don't think they will care.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:17 pm

I agreed with some of Jason's comments.
But I can't help thinking that with a fit Joe Ralls and Ryan Giles along with Lee Tomlin playing football for us for a change and back to his best, things could look a lot more rosy.
I think Mick has been unlucky with the loss of those three lately.
But we so badly need a midfield general who can thread that special pass opening up defences. Possibly an experienced premiership player willing to drop down a division.
Not easy to come by without splashing the cash in the transfer window.
Finally, I personally want to see Mick continuing to give the younger lads plenty of game time. Obviously they will make mistakes, but the current experience will benefit them in the future.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:29 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:When MM came on board he tried one or two of the fringe players and we went on that fantastic run that pulled us away from a relegation fight and nearly got us in the play offs. So going into this season you can understand the board wanting more of this where they must have encouraged MM to play more of the fringe players.

All the board are interested is doing is remaining in the Championship and reducing the wage bill. If this mark of £400 pw they are paying for these fringe players is true then it will be mission accomplished if we remain in this league. As for the style we play I don't think they will care.

Where has the £400 figure come from? Is it the same place £600 million incoming and £160 million debt came from?

Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:59 pm

maccydee wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:When MM came on board he tried one or two of the fringe players and we went on that fantastic run that pulled us away from a relegation fight and nearly got us in the play offs. So going into this season you can understand the board wanting more of this where they must have encouraged MM to play more of the fringe players.

Where has the £400 figure come from? Is it the same place £600 million incoming and £160 million debt came from?

Read the thread.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:37 pm

maccydee wrote:

£600 mill :lol: :lol: you don’t half exaggerate

It’s been explained ten times before the wages for our under 23’s are £400 a week and just look at my past posts :thumbright: :bluebird:
And this is a fact.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:39 pm

MR BIRCHGROVE wrote:I agreed with some of Jason's comments.
But I can't help thinking that with a fit Joe Ralls and Ryan Giles along with Lee Tomlin playing football for us for a change and back to his best, things could look a lot more rosy.
I think Mick has been unlucky with the loss of those three lately.
But we so badly need a midfield general who can thread that special pass opening up defences. Possibly an experienced premiership player willing to drop down a division.
Not easy to come by without splashing the cash in the transfer window.
Finally, I personally want to see Mick continuing to give the younger lads plenty of game time. Obviously they will make mistakes, but the current experience will benefit them in the future.

Every club gets injuries

Plus Micks own words we have plenty of strength in depth our squad :thumbright:

Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:40 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I’m lost here??

Well if you listened to what Jason Perry said he made reference to "players being given highly paid contracts" because there was no-one on the board with football knowledge.

He didn't mention Lee Tomlin specifically but I think it fair comment that he fits the bill of a player who was given a highly paid contract but has given little or nothing back since. As this thread is about JP comments then again I think it is fair to speculate on who he was talking about.

If you disagree that Tomlin doesn't fit the profile then I would be interested to know why :lol:

He certainly fits the Bill :roll: :lol:

Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:55 pm

We could have Wenger, Mourhino or Alex Ferguson in charge. If the kids aren't good enough, they aren't good enough.

If a board simply refuses to pay a transfer fee, or even wages for a free transfer, there are few managers who could save us this year, and I really mean that. No being pessimistic, just reality. This is serious.

We might play a more attractive brand, but if there ain't quality, there ain't quality..... no matter what MM says, or is told to say (or believes)

Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:44 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Read the thread.

I mean in the thread.