Seasons are not determined in September

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby cs_original » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:02 pm

It’s all well and good sides passing the ball around and playing “nice football” in august and September. Let’s see who can tough it out over Christmas and those cold Tuesday nights from
November to February.

I would fancy us to make it difficult for many sides later on in the season. Let’s just keep around mid table for now, and push on when the time is right for a play off spot.

I think the seasons going ok so far. Couple of points off 6th, only lost by 1 goal so far against some decent enough teams.
cs_original

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Seasons are not determined in September

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:54 pm

cs_original wrote:It’s all well and good sides passing the ball around and playing “nice football” in august and September. Let’s see who can tough it out over Christmas and those cold Tuesday nights from
November to February.

I would fancy us to make it difficult for many sides later on in the season. Let’s just keep around mid table for now, and push on when the time is right for a play off spot.

I think the seasons going ok so far. Couple of points off 6th, only lost by 1 goal so far against some decent enough teams.

This theory comes around most seasons because of the way we play, I should know I have posted it before a few times myself ;)
Tony Blue Williams

Postby castleblue » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:26 pm

cs_original wrote:It’s all well and good sides passing the ball around and playing “nice football” in august and September. Let’s see who can tough it out over Christmas and those cold Tuesday nights from
November to February.

The measure of how the season will go will be the same this season as any Championship season, Where will we be after 12 games? Now win the next 4 games and we will be on 23 points which is 1 point less than the season we finished runners up under NW. Will we win ALL 4 I very much doubt it so lose them all and we will be on 11 points which history says will see us finish in the bottom 3rd. A win and a couple of draws would see us on 16 points good enough for mid table, 2 wins and a draw would see us likely finish top 3rd.

By 12 games we will have played half the teams in the league and the Championship has an uncanny habit of giving a good indication of our final finishing position.

Your right so far we have had an OK start but these next 4 games are not easy and they are followed by Fulham, Middlesbrough and Stoke as they say no easy games in the Championship.

For me no chance of playoffs but mid table should be possible.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
castleblue

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:37 pm

castleblue wrote:
November to February.

The measure of how the season will go will be the same this season as any Championship season, Where will we be after 12 games? Now win the next 4 games and we will be on 23 points which is 1 point less than the season we finished runners up under NW. Will we win ALL 4 I very much doubt it so lose them all and we will be on 11 points which history says will see us finish in the bottom 3rd. A win and a couple of draws would see us on 16 points good enough for mid table, 2 wins and a draw would see us likely finish top 3rd.

By 12 games we will have played half the teams in the league and the Championship has an uncanny habit of giving a good indication of our final finishing position.

Your right so far we have had an OK start but these next 4 games are not easy and they are followed by Fulham, Middlesbrough and Stoke as they say no easy games in the Championship.

Great post.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Bluebina » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:56 am

castleblue wrote:
November to February.

So far we look like a 10th best kind of team, I think that's out it will average out.
Bluebina

Postby cs_original » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:39 am

castleblue wrote:
November to February.

Well put.

I wouldn’t say no chance of playoffs though, I think any side who is around the mid table mark with 10 games left to play has a chance. Hit form at the right time and maybe a couple above to have a blip and it can soon swing around.
cs_original

Postby Crayfish » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:53 am

They sort of are though by now not even the end of September the table will give you a good idea of where teams will finish by the end of the seasaon. As for the top six Fulham WBA and Bournemouh are there and will be at the end of the season with at least one and possibly two of the other teams in the top six. If you are in a relegation position now you may well be there at the end of the season.

As for Cardiff coming through in the winter I see zero evidence for this happeNing. In Warnocks promotion season we were in the top two for all of the season. Granted that season someone started poorly and came through strongly Fulham but that is very much the exception rather than the rule.
Crayfish

Postby Bluebird-in-Jackland » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:41 pm

Whilst I agree with the OP that it’s not decided in September, we mustn’t forget that we’ve got a good idea as it stands. If you look at who we’ve played so far, we lost to every team above us, and the only the teams we’ve won/drawn against are all currently in the bottom 7.
So you could say we’ve had a very easy start playing 5 of the bottom 7 teams, and we’re still outside the play offs. Unfortunately we’ve only played one team that was expected to do well, and we got played off the park although we were always in the game. The Blackburn game should be a good gauge of where we’re at, as they’ve had a decent start but similarly to ourselves they’ve had a relatively easy start looking at the current table. Without a change in tactics or management I think we are looking at mid table finish.
Bluebird-in-Jackland

Return to General Chat