Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Last minute penalty

Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:12 pm

Here's a scenario:

We get a last minute penalty in an important game, with the chance to get a late winner/late point.

But our two most senior penalty takers (Moore and Ralls) aren't on the pitch.

Moore is suspended and Ralls is on the bench.

We have one substitute left so the choice is to either let the next ranked player to take the penalty (who has missed recently) or bring on Ralls to take the penalty.

As manager, what would you do?

If you bring on the substitute and he misses then you don't look good. If he scores you've made a great decision.

Re: Last minute penalty

Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:34 pm

Got to be somebody who's on the pitch for me mate.

You can't expect somebody to come on in the last minute and expect them to be 100% switched on for the game when they have been sat on the bench and preparing themselves to go and get changed

I agree with what Keane and Souness said.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:02 pm

No recognised pen taker on pitch ... premier leagues 4th best record penalty taker on bench a goalie that as not saved a pen in7yrs?? Only one choice to make bring him on....... unfortunately didnt come off some gambles work some dont. :old:
Ps VAR officiating total mess today as bad as anything we saw last season in decision making.. :D

Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:04 pm

England brought on Rashford and Sancho in the 120th min and the both missed pens. Give it to someone on the pitch that’s ready and had more than 30s cameo in the game.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:49 pm

I know where you're coming from, Ned...

West Ham brought on Noble to take one for a draw versus ManUre in injury time and he royaly messed it up...

I was actualky surprised it could be done but I guess David Moyes took a chance and it failed...

Not for me, tbh; I think any penalty taker should be on tbe field at the point of award

Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:42 am

Sven wrote:I know where you're coming from, Ned...

West Ham brought on Noble to take one for a draw versus ManUre in injury time and he royaly messed it up...

I was actualky surprised it could be done but I guess David Moyes took a chance and it failed...

Not for me, tbh; I think any penalty taker should be on tbe field at the point of award

Definitely. You need to be warmed up and into the swing of the game before you can do what Noble attempted.
He was under even more pressure than normal which also didn’t help.

Had to laugh when he missed though :laughing6:

Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:17 am

Choose someone already on the pitch.

Pack I'm guessing would be next in line?

But I'd be more than happy with a defender or even keeper to just wallop it!!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:26 pm

Didn't quite work out for england did it :D