Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The worst city squad

Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:13 pm

This is possibly the worst city squad in recent history.

0 pace, 0 creativity and it seems we can't even defend any more. Every game our bench is woeful with no attacking options and we are relying heavily on youngsters that should be getting bedded in slowly.

My question is, whens the last time we had a squad this bad in recent history (last 10 years or so)?

Re: The worst city squad

Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:55 am

Apparently not according to our manager Mick.

“It’s big, full of quality and strength in depth in all departments.”

Jack,
Is Mick talking about Fulham :lol:

It is one of our worst for years and will get weaker, I said this in the Summer.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:31 am

Annis. you’re right and Mick spouts all this shit but he obviously doesn’t believe it himself.

There’s no way on this earth he’s happy with either the quality or the depth it’s just something he has to live with.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:16 am

Probably the worst since we came back into the Championship nearly twenty years ago apart from the second season back when we nearly went down. Apart from that season the worst we have finished is 13th i think and i cant see this squad finishing higher than that. And so boring to watch.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:43 am

I think people got short memories I agree its not great football but we have had worse under Slade who was trying to do the same job and had more senior players to pick from he kept us just in the championship however we have had Oli Neil Harris Paul Trollop and sadly danny Gabbidon who would have taking us to league 1 too

Mick McCarthy has not had the support but is trying to keep us going with youth again something supporters on here have been crying for a young team but with Mick he trying to keep us in games not get a thumping.

We have not got the players to attack and pass about and If we tried against teams like Bournemouth Fulham or westbrom we get killed

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:44 pm

valleyrambill wrote:I think people got short memories I agree its not great football but we have had worse under Slade who was trying to do the same job and had more senior players to pick from he kept us just in the championship however we have had Oli Neil Harris Paul Trollop and sadly danny Gabbidon who would have taking us to league 1 too

Mick McCarthy has not had the support but is trying to keep us going with youth again something supporters on here have been crying for a young team but with Mick he trying to keep us in games not get a thumping.

We have not got the players to attack and pass about and If we tried against teams like Bournemouth Fulham or westbrom we get killed

I agree the blame doesn't necessarily lie with McCarthy but it doesn't detract from the fact that this is a pretty poor squad. I was no fan of Slade but he did get us to within touching distance of a play off spot before being sacked and replaced by Trollope.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:36 pm

If you look at this forum, it's like the days of Slade and Trollope never happened :lol:

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:21 am

We are going through a transition by bringing in the youngsters so yes the squad could be our worst one for a decade or so.

it does feel to me though that we have gone full steam into this where perhaps we should have brought in 2 or 3 of them this season and another 3 next season. We have gone full monty and that comes with all the risks. Lets see where we are January and if it is not working then we know what we need to do.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:45 am

Strange how we see statements about how poor our squad is after every defeat. ;)

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:04 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Strange how we see statements about how poor our squad is after every defeat. ;)

i was at the Forest game and quite a few old school told me they would rather give these fringe players the chance than the likes of Tomlin or Vassell. The following Tuesday night at Coventry they all felt difference. Thing is it was not the defeat but the nature of it.

Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:45 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:Strange how we see statements about how poor our squad is after every defeat. ;)

i was at the Forest game and quite a few old school told me they would rather give these fringe players the chance than the likes of Tomlin or Vassell. The following Tuesday night at Coventry they all felt difference. Thing is it was not the defeat but the nature of it.

The nature of any defeat is crushing. I'm the same as anyone else I slag the team off for losing, but a day later I will calm down and think things through objectively.

We scrapped home against a poor Nottingham F side. Everyone was full of beans but the clues to our shortcomings were obvious. Whilst I hoped for the best against Coventry and Bournemouth I can't say I am surprised we lost both.

Hopefully this season is all about bring the young players through and giving them good solid experience whilst we finish comfortably in mid table (or hopefully higher).

Trouble is having the patience and objectivity to see the longer bigger picture which is admittedly hard even for fans like myself.