Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Mick McCarthy not happy at all '

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:22 am

MICK MCCARTHY ISSUES VERDICT ON CONTROVERSIAL FLASHPOINT DURING CARDIFF V BOURNEMOUTH

"If Lerma had been sent off, we could of been looking at a different result."

Monday 20th September 2021,

By Justin Peach

Cardiff City boss Mick McCarthy believes Bournemouth should have been reduced to ten men before Phillip Billing’s opener in their 1-0 defeat at the Cardiff City Stadium.

The Bluebirds slipped to their fourth defeat in their last five games against the Cherries and they were dominated in both possession and with the number of chances they were limited to.

Cardiff struggled in large parts of this game in a difficult afternoon for the Bluebirds, but it was a key moment in the game before the opening goal that left McCarthy fuming.

Cardiff looked second best through out the match and at times, the result flattered Cardiff to only lose 1nil at home.

Cardiff City’s Ciaron Brown was on the receiving end of a challenge from Bournemouth midfielder Jefferson Lerma that McCarthy thought should have been a red.

Lerma has struggled with discipline in the past and it seems as though his eagerness got the better of him once again as he flew into a tackle against the Northern Irish defender.

The Colombian was booked by referee Keith Stroud however that wasn’t a worthy punishment according to McCarthy who believed that it should have been a more severe one.

MICK McCARTHY:

“I’ve just seen the Lerma tackle and I’ve told the ref to have a look at it.

“It’s a red card in my mind, he’s gone over the ball, and when they see that on the video they will agree with me.

“I’m not saying for a minute that he meant it, but if you go in like that without control and you catch a player on the shin then it’s a red card.

“The referee made his decision, I’m not complaining, we all get things wrong, but it’s not easy when you concede afterwards.”

"If Lerma had been sent off, we could of been looking at a different result."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Mick McCarthy not happy at all '

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:40 am

TBH that is a pretty weak attempt at deflection by MM. We lost the game under his stewardship but he is trying to pretend the result depended on one bad tackle which wasn't punished properly.

Sounds like he is getting a bit desperate.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:48 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:TBH that is a pretty weak attempt at deflection by MM. We lost the game under his stewardship but he is trying to pretend the result depended on one bad tackle which wasn't punished properly.

Sounds like he is getting a bit desperate.

All managers revert to this talk when things are not quite going right.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:49 am

Yes, no excuses we weren't good enough and got beat by the better team. Even against ten men we would have struggled to create a chance so the best we would have got was a point.

That said, McCarthy is right about that tackle. I thought it was a straight red when it happened, certainly higher than the Coventry sending off on Wednesday. Didn't show it on the Sky highlights on Sunday but would be interested to see it again.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:19 am

A bad workman always blames his tools.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:59 am

Big Hill Blue wrote:A bad workman always blames his tools.

I would suggest the referee is not part of MM's toolbox.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:14 pm

We certainly didn't lose because of the officials on Saturday but I thought the ref was poor and the linesman in front of the Ninian Stand, who only seemed to discover his flag in the second half, gave a few baffling decisions including a couple of offsides that looked questionable to say the least.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:25 pm

Wayne S wrote:
Big Hill Blue wrote:A bad workman always blames his tools.

I would suggest the referee is not part of MM's toolbox.

:lol:

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:33 am

We lost because bournemouth stood up to our predictable long ball over the top, before out playing us by keeping the ball on the deck and playing around us with skill and a bit of thought.. Playing the way most of us fans in Cardiff can only dream of