Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

VERY BAD NEWS:’HEAD OF CARDIFF CITY ACADEMY LEAVES '

Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:22 am

Has left after 8 years, part of the backbone of all the players like Rubin Colwill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' HEAD OF CARDIFF CITY ACADEMY LEAVES '

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:17 pm

Yes very worrying as to be fair to James players like Colwill etc etc were brought through by him.

I said a couple of months ago sadly Cardiff have some bad times ahead and we are losing all our best assets including a great Accademy Coach.

Mick McCarthy will continue to be a puppet as even though he had three players he agreed to sign in the last transfer window l, all got stopped at the last minute by Tan.
Also McCarthy is being told more players have to go , but he keeps saying big squad, strength in depth , full of quality etc

Plus he’s being told put up to 12 of the U23’s squad straight in to first team squad and he is doing it.

Many of these players are not ready or good enough and yes their is quality but 100% not all of them .

Janes does thank Mr Tan & Cardiff City for 8 successful years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: VERY BAD NEWS:’HEAD OF CARDIFF CITY ACADEMY LEAVES '

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:37 pm

Reply Twitter:

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:39 pm

This is not good news and James McCarthy will be a huge and disappointing loss to the Academy :cry:

Could he have been persuaded to stay or was he too easily allowed to go is the one question I have?

Either way, I wish him all the very best of luck in his next challenge :clap: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:39 pm

I thought it was widely said the academy has been useless over the last 10 years???

We need to make up our minds.

If Steve Morison leaves I’ll be gutted. Want him as next manager.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:42 pm

maccydee wrote:I thought it was widely said the academy has been useless over the last 10 years???

I don't think there have been many questions relating to McCarthy's role?

I may be wrong but I don't recall other than he was doing a decent job?

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:50 pm

maccydee wrote:I thought it was widely said the academy has been useless over the last 10 years???

Mate, I have met him several times and he was good at his job, money has not been being invested in to the Accademy that’s why we have lost so many coaches, it’s coaches like him we needed to keep as they were giving everything to the club, rumour has it he had been offered a better job. had to give his notice in first, which he did , it’s taken years like you said to finally get a couple of players to
finally make it

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:51 pm

Morrison’s results on the pitch in last two years not been good

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:02 pm

Sven wrote:

Head of the academy though isn’t he?

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:09 pm

maccydee wrote:
Sven wrote:

Head of the academy though isn’t he?

No Morrison’s main job is manager of the U23’s, don’t forget the U23’s majority had not really come through our young Accademy

James was head of the Accademy along with David Hughes.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:10 pm

Sven wrote:This is not good news and James McCarthy will be a huge and disappointing loss to the Academy :cry:

Could he have been persuaded to stay or was he too easily allowed to go is the one question I have?

Either way, I wish him all the very best of luck in his next challenge :clap: :ayatollah:

Chris these people move every so many years to enhance their reputation..... he looks to have sorted out the academy now but why as it taken 8yrs of his tenure to do it? So are we just lucky with youngsters coming into the academy or did he succeed where others failed......? Let's just hope tan as learned you need quality people in at academy to make it work so let's hope next incumbent as that quality.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:24 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:This is not good news and James McCarthy will be a huge and disappointing loss to the Academy :cry:

Chris these people move every so many years to enhance their reputation..... he looks to have sorted out the academy now but why as it taken 8yrs of his tenure to do it? So are we just lucky with youngsters coming into the academy or did he succeed where others failed......? Let's just hope tan as learned you need quality people in at academy to make it work so let's hope next incumbent as that quality.

Allan, it seems to me that there is a realisation within the club that things are not going to be too good going forward under the current regime and that saddens me, as I have tried to give Vincent Tan some leeway over the years...

With the events of this summer, it just seems to me that this is maybe not an asset-strip (who do we have on the playing side for him to be able to do that?) but it's certainly a massive cost-reduction exercise just when even a moderate investment might have seen us fight right at the top under this manager

I've said before we appear to be setting up for sale and I stand by that. Why else would he do what he has done?

Despite the protestations of certain people, we know as a fact that there were a number of players lined up to sign for Mick McCarthy this last transfer window and each and every one was blocked by the owner at the last minute; just before this cost-cutting exercise started and the manager was ordered to play the youngsters (some of whom will make the grade but not if they haven't got on-field support to develop properly)

Going to be some tough times ahead (maybe beyond this season) and we will find out (a) what the owner's real intent for us is, and (b) who the 'die-hard' supporters are that some so flippantly mocked a few day ago

I won't necessarily like it but it's all part of the journey of being a Bluebird and in our time we have seen a lot worse; it's just incredibly sad that we have had opportunity and seemingly wasted it :cry:

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:31 pm

former Bluebirds defender David Hughes was appointed Academy Head of Coaching in November 2020.
Things do seem to have moved on since Hughes and Morrison joined the club

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:54 pm

stickywicket wrote:former Bluebirds defender David Hughes was appointed Academy Head of Coaching in November 2020.

For better or for worse?

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:55 pm

Reply FB:

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:57 pm

JAMES McCarthy:

"I can now confirm that today signals my last day as Academy Manager at Cardiff City as I move on to explore new and exciting opportunities," he wrote on Twitter. "It brings to an end a long affiliation with the club in many roles and nearly eight years as Academy Manager since leaving teaching.

"The role itself has been most enjoyable and thanks to my amazing staff, and our shared vision, the Academy has progressed beyond recognition and is now widely respected across the UK and Europe. Due to the hard work of everyone involved we now have a consistent pathway into the first team for our young players and this has been highlighted recently with the number of players regularly involved first-team match squads.

"Nothing has given us more satisfaction than seeing many of the Academy players we have worked with since they were eight years old run out onto the pitch at Cardiff City stadium in front of the fans!

"I would like to take the opportunity to thank Mr. Tan for giving me the opportunity eight years ago to develop and drive the Academy forward. I would also like to thank Steve Borley for his consistent guidance and support.

"A big thank you to all the first-team managers (seven in total!). I’ve learned lots from each of them. I have to say a massive thank you and well done to all the Academy staff who have helped me to shape and mould the programme into what it is now. Without your support none of it would have been possible.

"Finally thank you all current Academy players and parents for your constant support. The commitment required to be an Academy player and parent is growing all the time and all the staff appreciate the sacrifices you continue to make. I look forward to watching and hearing about how all the young players continue to develop in the future and hopefully see them gracing the pitch at Cardiff City Stadium. A huge thank you to all my family for their support, patience and understanding."

Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:29 am

Not sure why people are upset by this news

Not 1 academy player has become a first team regular in the 8 years he has been here. Doesn’t that mean he has been a failure?

Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:40 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Not sure why people are upset by this news

Not 1 academy player has become a first team regular in the 8 years he has been here. Doesn’t that mean he has been a failure?

Yes, I am getting really confused !!

Many on this site, including the OP, have criticised tha Academy and the lack of players coming through.

Now the Head of the Academy who has overseen this level of performance has left and there is outcry on here :? :roll:

I'm just waiting for the claim that James McCarthy had no say in anything and it's all Tan's fault :banghead: Or that Tan hasn't put enough money in, and then claim the club is leaking money :lol:

I have no problem in people being worried about the progress of the club, etc., but you have to be objective and consistent. The Academy has either performed poorly over the last 8 years and therefore this isn't a huge loss, or it's performed well and this is a big loss !!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:29 am

Ninian27 wrote:

Morrison’s results on the pitch in last two years not been good

He's come in though and suddenly we have loads of under 23's breaking into the first team, there weren't any before he arrived.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:31 am

stickywicket wrote:former Bluebirds defender David Hughes was appointed Academy Head of Coaching in November 2020.

True for the better :thumbup:

Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:33 am

Not sure what to make of this because the guy seems to have been doing a decent job but having said that during his tenure there have been 2 investigations into complaints of bullying in the academy. One complaint was against Bellamy and the 2nd was about 6 months ago when 2 unnamed academy staff were suspended.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of those complaints they appear to have happened on James McCarthys watch as Head of the Academy and in my opinion that is not a positive thing. Is this just the result of the latest investigation into bullying allegations?

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:36 am

piledriver64 wrote:

Many on this site, including the OP, have criticised tha Academy and the lack of players coming through.

Now the Head of the Academy who has overseen this level of performance has left and there is outcry on here :? :roll:

I'm just waiting for the claim that James McCarthy had no say in anything and it's all Tan's fault :banghead: Or that Tan hasn't put enough money in, and then claim the club is leaking money :lol:

I have no problem in people being worried about the progress of the club, etc., but you have to be objective and consistent. The Academy has either performed poorly over the last 8 years and therefore this isn't a huge loss, or it's performed well and this is a big loss !!

Exactly what I alluded to above. I couldn’t be arsed continuing the debate though.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:59 am

I think there are two things to consider here.

The coaching and also the culture.

Did McCarthy improve the quality of coaching at Academy level... the answer to that, in my opinion, is yes.

However, from what I am hearing (ex coaches and parents) - the culture at the Academy wasn't good and ultimately that wasn't addressed by McCarthy.

So this isn't a cost cutting exercise - or so it seems, but let us see who City appoint as his replacement.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:24 am

castleblue wrote:Not sure what to make of this because the guy seems to have been doing a decent job but having said that during his tenure there have been 2 investigations into complaints of bullying in the academy. One complaint was against Bellamy and the 2nd was about 6 months ago when 2 unnamed academy staff were suspended.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of those complaints they appear to have happened on James McCarthys watch as Head of the Academy and in my opinion that is not a positive thing. Is this just the result of the latest investigation into bullying allegations?

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Very interesting and puts a different perspective on why James McCarthy is moving on.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:40 am

piledriver64 wrote:

Great post! Like you I am also becoming fed up with the lack of objectivity and consistency contained within posts about Vincent Tan. Obviously he can't be perfect but at the same time he can't be to blame for everything that doesn't work out.

Our last accounts showed we lost £12m which is a whisker away from the maximum loss allowed by Profit & Sustainability rules (aka Financial Fair Play). The loss was incurred even though we were in receipt of £36m in parachute payments.

I would think it was dead raving obvious that we would need severe financial cut backs this season to avoid going over the £13m per season maximum loss and face a possible transfer embargo/points deduction or heavy fine because we now receive no parachute payments at all.

Just imagine the outrage if Tan had sanctioned the 3 signings he allegedly vetoed and then in 12 months time we were deemed to have broken FFP/P&S Rules and faced sanctions?

We need to stop looking at things in isolation. There is a bigger picture and that is what we need to be looking at and at the same time use more objectivity.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:44 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

Great post! Like you I am also becoming fed up with the lack of objectivity and consistency contained within posts about Vincent Tan. Obviously he can't be perfect but at the same time he can't be to blame for everything that doesn't work out.

Our last accounts showed we lost £12m which is a whisker away from the maximum loss allowed by Profit & Sustainability rules (aka Financial Fair Play). The loss was incurred even though we were in receipt of £36m in parachute payments.

I would think it was dead raving obvious that we would need severe financial cut backs this season to avoid going over the £13m per season maximum loss and face a possible transfer embargo/points deduction or heavy fine because we now receive no parachute payments at all.

Just imagine the outrage if Tan had sanctioned the 3 signings he allegedly vetoed and then in 12 months time we were deemed to have broken FFP/P&S Rules and faced sanctions?

We need to stop looking at things in isolation. There is a bigger picture and that is what we need to be looking at and at the same time use more objectivity.

How can we use objectivity when we want to blame Tan for whatever decisions he makes.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:50 am

piledriver64 wrote:

How can we use objectivity when we want to blame Tan for whatever decisions he makes.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:51 am

maccydee wrote:

Exactly it's impossible to be objective when there is an agenda. Sadly there is an agenda by some posters who want to paint Tan in the worst light possible.

The fact they contradict themselves to do that proves the total lack of objectivity.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:05 am

maccydee wrote:

Exactly it's impossible to be objective when there is an agenda. Sadly there is an agenda by some posters who want to paint Tan in the worst light possible.

The fact they contradict themselves to do that proves the total lack of objectivity.

Yep, I'm no expert but I understand that, even if he wanted to, VT couldn't plough even more money into the club. The Football League financial rules preclude that, as they are all geared to prevent clubs building up huge debts to individuals and in years gone by.

I'm happy to be corrected on that but I'm pretty sure that's the case. Probably why clubs like Derby and others try to circumvent the rules with loopholes like ground naming rights, etc., although even those tend to come a cropper after a while.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:31 pm

It was only a few months back people were saying how badly run our Youth Academy was.

If I am honest, I've not been overly excited by any of the younger players yet, bar Colwil after he came on against Forest. Harris is okay, Bagan looks like he could become a good player but is probably not quite there yet, Bowen also not done too much. I don't want to sound negative though, it's great to see so many academy players in the squad, even if it probably has been forced as a result of the pandemic.

I don't personally know how good he was as a coach though, so can't really comment on that, but it is funny how quick things can change.