Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Points deduction for another Championship club "

Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:55 pm

9 point deduction.

All we need now is one other club to go deductionable and we are staying up.

Reading are set to become the second Championship side in quick succession to be handed a points deduction.

Last week, Derby County announced plans to enter administration. That will ultimately see the Rams hit with a 12-point handicap, as per league rules.

Now, the Telegraph claim that the Royals are in talks with the EFL over a points deduction which is likely to plunge them into a Championship relegation battle.

It relates to a breach of spending rules and it could see them hit with a nine-point deduction.

Reading currently have ten points from their first eight league games but a hefty deduction could see them embroiled in a dogfight, along with the beleaguered Rams.

Re: READING

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:40 pm

Yeah but we’ve got it worse... as I’m sure Barclay1 will explain :laughing6:

Re: " Points deduction for another Championship club "

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:10 pm

Reading are set to become the second Championship side in quick succession to be handed a points deduction.

Last week, Derby County announced plans to enter administration. That will ultimately see the Rams hit with a 12-point handicap, as per league rules.

Now, the Telegraph claim that the Royals are in talks with the EFL over a points deduction which is likely to plunge them into a Championship relegation battle.

It relates to a breach of spending rules and it could see them hit with a nine-point deduction.

Reading currently have ten points from their first eight league games but a hefty deduction could see them embroiled in a dogfight, along with the beleaguered Rams.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:12 pm

Another one that isn't a surprise. The EFL have been looking at Reading's situation for a while with a points deduction always likely.

They were another club who were only allowed to sign free transfers in the summer.

Reports that by the end of the season, it is likely that five other clubs will have points deductions (on top of Derby and Reading).

One thing we can be thankful of is that we're not one of them.

I'm no supporter of our ownership, but it's a blessing that we're not in the sort of mess that some other Championship clubs are.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:17 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Another one that isn't a surprise. The EFL have been looking at Reading's situation for a while with a points deduction always likely.

They were another club who were only allowed to sign free transfers in the summer.

Reports that by the end of the season, it is likely that five other clubs will have points deductions (on top of Derby and Reading).

I'm no supporter of our ownership, but it's a blessing that we're not in the sort of mess that some other Championship clubs are.

Ned
If what you say is true about 5 others it puts the tightening of our money belt into perspective.....
But more concerning Is premier league clubs relegated are now benefiting from parachute payments far behond what it was set up to do...soon be a closed shop top 6 it like premier league itself

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:12 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Another one that isn't a surprise. The EFL have been looking at Reading's situation for a while with a points deduction always likely.

Ned
If what you say is true about 5 others it puts the tightening of our money belt into perspective.....
But more concerning Is premier league clubs relegated are now benefiting from parachute payments far behond what it was set up to do...soon be a closed shop top 6 it like premier league itself

They'll say that you can look at teams like Brentford to prove it's not all about parachute payments.

Teams like Derby prove you can spend as much money as you want, but it doesn't guarantee success.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:26 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Ned

They'll say that you can look at teams like Brentford to prove it's not all about parachute payments.

Teams like Derby prove you can spend as much money as you want, but it doesn't guarantee success.

Brentford spent something like 80m. Past 8yrs but did get 170m? in transfer fees... doesn sound a lot
but you take size of club 10m a season is a fair amount to spend considering small stadium... as for derby always had big crowd income to use and silly owner but of course it's all come back to haunt them.... as I've said previously clubs have learnt need to keep squad and you'll get great chance of being promoted again .. last two seasons has shown that and this season be same... that's why parachute payments are going to unbalance championship which in fairness as been one of the complaints about it previously but teams like us never took advantage of it but teams are doing so now .

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:30 pm

Canton Kev wrote:Yeah but we’ve got it worse... as I’m sure Barclay1 will explain :laughing6:

Just because we have not had a points deduction does not mean we are not in a perilous state football wise.

I don't really care about anyone else. I do care where our Premiership money and parachute payments have gone. I do care when a club our size and with the money we have gleaned over the past 4 years appears to be poorer than everyone else in the division.

I care why our owner is content with us losing games because we play kids that are cheap. I care when our owner wont even sign a free transfer because we may have to pay them wages.

Tell you what, Luton brought in some decent freebies. They are not being deducted points just like we're not. They have though managed to be competitive and play half decent football.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:59 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
Canton Kev wrote:Yeah but we’ve got it worse... as I’m sure Barclay1 will explain :laughing6:

Just because we have not had a points deduction does not mean we are not in a perilous state football wise.

I don't really care about anyone else. I do care where our Premiership money and parachute payments have gone. I do care when a club our size and with the money we have gleaned over the past 4 years appears to be poorer than everyone else in the division.

I care why our owner is content with us losing games because we play kids that are cheap. I care when our owner wont even sign a free transfer because we may have to pay them wages.

Tell you what, Luton brought in some decent freebies. They are not being deducted points just like we're not. They have though managed to be competitive and play half decent football.

Poorer than everyone else in championship? With possibility of 7 clubs being docked points for financial reasons by end season that does not make us appear to be poorest team in championship by a very long way..... as for Luton well maybe they brought in players because they needed them to fill 1st team places? We certainly did not need 1st team replacements unless you mean putting 4 or 5 high paid players on bench so wasting money club does not have ..... we brought in a couple one premier club brought in exactly 000000 players and they're got £90m income this season... why cant you accept there is little or no money in EFL and city like many others havent spent money they dont have.... our premier league money wasted by managers from malkie onwards on donkeys journeyman and load of crocs ... if we get relegated you can whinge about playing youngsters not working until then it is what it is and points deduction is not for us.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:26 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:

Poorer than everyone else in championship? With possibility of 7 clubs being docked points for financial reasons by end season that does not make us appear to be poorest team in championship by a very long way..... as for Luton well maybe they brought in players because they needed them to fill 1st team places? We certainly did not need 1st team replacements unless you mean putting 4 or 5 high paid players on bench so wasting money club does not have ..... we brought in a couple one premier club brought in exactly 000000 players and they're got £90m income this season... why cant you accept there is little or no money in EFL and city like many others havent spent money they dont have.... our premier league money wasted by managers from malkie onwards on donkeys journeyman and load of crocs ... if we get relegated you can whinge about playing youngsters not working until then it is what it is and points deduction is not for us.

Well said Allan.

Another ridiculous bash at our club from Victor.

“Our owner is content with us losing games” how pathetic a statement and a guess is that.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:03 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Reports that by the end of the season, it is likely that five other clubs will have points deductions (on top of Derby and Reading).

Any idea who those 5 could be? Could be sneaking into 6th place after all ;)

Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:10 pm

Maybe the penny is finally starting to drop with those who think VT is cost cutting for no reason. We have to stay within the P&S Rules otherwise we face sanctions. Reading will now see their season torpedoed and may even have to resort to a fire sale in order to avoid another points deduction next season.

VT is doing what is best for this club at this time and should be respected for his efforts.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:28 pm

Even if 10 teams have a 20 point deduction EACH, our MM will still set up not to be beaten.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:30 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Maybe the penny is finally starting to drop with those who think VT is cost cutting for no reason. We have to stay within the P&S Rules otherwise we face sanctions. Reading will now see their season torpedoed and may even have to resort to a fire sale in order to avoid another points deduction next season.

VT is doing what is best for this club at this time and should be respected for his efforts.

Totally disagree Tony, and I do know a lot, Tan is doing what’s best for himself, not for our club.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:37 pm

Glad someone else is seeing through our rebranded Roathie. :lol:

Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:53 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:

Well said Allan.

“Our owner is content with us losing games” how pathetic a statement and a guess is that.

Paul, I'm aghast at that comment from him...! :o :shock: :roll:

I've long been a believer that many of Barclay1's opinions are not his own and this doesn't dampen that view :oops:

Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:07 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:

Well said Allan.

Trouble is some people have a pathological dislike of our board and if anyone puts an alternative viewpoint its rubbished... because they know best and are right...... anybody think we are only club cost cutting....... could say more but know what response will be..? :laughing6: :laughing6:

Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:35 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:Maybe the penny is finally starting to drop with those who think VT is cost cutting for no reason. We have to stay within the P&S Rules otherwise we face sanctions. Reading will now see their season torpedoed and may even have to resort to a fire sale in order to avoid another points deduction next season.

Totally disagree Tony, and I do know a lot, Tan is doing what’s best for himself, not for our club.

Until there is proof of your statement in official published accounts you don’t “know” this, it’s merely your opinion.

Somebody with inside knowledge telling you something is just hearsay. You may believe it but that doesn’t make it fact. There’s a reason why hearsay isn’t given much weight in legal proceedings, it’s because it can’t be directly challenged or examined.

So you can, of course, have your opinion but at the moment it is no more valid than the person you’re arguing with !!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:21 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Annis go and look at the club accounts. We lost £12m in the 2019/20 season which is just short of the £13m maximum allowed by Profit and Sustainability Rules. During that season we received £36m in parachute payments. We are no longer in receipt of parachute payments and that has to be made up by cutting costs.

If we don't balance our books then we become the next Reading, Sheffield Wednesday or Derby County and receive a points deduction.

You say that 'you know things'. It could be that what you have been told has been misinterpret by you and others in your echo chamber as keeping this club solvent and avoiding fines, points deductions or other sanctions is in the best interests of both CCFC and Vincent Tan.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:27 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Annis go and look at the club accounts. We lost £12m in the 2019/20 season which is just short of the £13m maximum allowed by Profit and Sustainability Rules. During that season we received £36m in parachute payments. We are no longer in receipt of parachute payments and that has to be made up by cutting costs.

If we don't balance our books then we become the next Reading, Sheffield Wednesday or Derby County and receive a points deduction.

You say that 'you know things'. It could be that what you have been told has been misinterpret by you and others in your echo chamber as keeping this club solvent and avoiding fines, points deductions or other sanctions is in the best interests of both CCFC and Vincent Tan.

I look at the club accounts all the time and you know a lot of our expenses and over heads don’t appear individually, the club is run on a shoe string in places like the ticket office etc and sadly now the team, but the life of our committee in London etc is all
Down to our club and £millions upon £millions have been wasted by the lot of them totally unnecessary.
A FACT

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:29 am

piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Until there is proof of your statement in official published accounts you don’t “know” this, it’s merely your opinion.

Somebody with inside knowledge telling you something is just hearsay. You may believe it but that doesn’t make it fact. There’s a reason why hearsay isn’t given much weight in legal proceedings, it’s because it can’t be directly challenged or examined.

So you can, of course, have your opinion but at the moment it is no more valid than the person you’re arguing with !!

My opinion and beliefs are their very very strongly and I stand by them for the good of our club.
The people running our club have totally mismanaged us a d we are suffering badly because of them.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:32 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I look at the club accounts all the time and you know a lot of our expenses and over heads don’t appear individually, the club is run on a shoe string in places like the ticket office etc and sadly now the team, but the life of our committee in London etc is all
Down to our club and £millions upon £millions have been wasted by the lot of them totally unnecessary.
A FACT

How is it FACT when you admit that there is no documentary evidence in the accounts? In any case you haven't addressed the loss of parachute payments and the balancing of the clubs books to avoid a points deduction.

Shit stirring about people proves nothing and adds nothing to your argument. If you want to be credible then explain how CCFC can balance the books without cost cutting in all areas?

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:37 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

A FACT

How is it FACT when you admit that there is no documentary evidence in the accounts? In any case you haven't addressed the loss of parachute payments and the balancing of the clubs books to avoid a points deduction.

Shit stirring about people proves nothing and adds nothing to your argument. If you want to be credible then explain how CCFC can balance the books without cost cutting in all areas?

Although the books have all what we have to go on do you really believe they tell the truth and the whole truth?

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:40 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

A FACT

Although the books have all what we have to go on do you really believe they tell the truth and the whole truth?

1,000% NO

A big question and I know the answer, have the Committee taken cut backs and are they living of our club on our shoe string???

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:01 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:

Well said Allan.

Sorry, but my dads name is victor(rip) please dont tarnish his name, by giving it to this constant whinger!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:35 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:

Well said Allan.

Sorry, but my dads name is victor(rip) please dont tarnish his name, by giving it to this constant whinger!!

Just a Victor Meldrew joke.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:11 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:

Well said Allan.

Just a Victor Meldrew joke.

Was going to explain but dont think it would matter....I've used his name countless times to describe certain people on here? It best describes them .. :o

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:55 pm

Contentious statement. But I’d rather have the opportunity to go watch our team play badly and moan about it … than have no team to watch. So I agree with tbr sentiments regarding what tan is doing cost cutting wise. I’ll take a year or so of what we have if it means our club survive to fight for more later. Ask derby fans what situation they would ratwher have.