Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Mick McCarthy taking them seriously:

Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:28 am

Mick McCarthy was once again watching the NEW Cardiff U23’S which are now mainly 17,18 & 19 year olds and have properly come through the Cardiff Accademy :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird:

Citu won their fourth consecutive match yesterday v Sheffield United U23’S 2-9 and undefeated this season.

Mick was asked what did he think: “Was impressed and is looking to bring a few more of them in to the first team squad in January.” :bluebird: :bluebird:

My View:

This new squad of young players are very talented way way more players from our actual Accademy , a few have joined from from other clubs but the majority are actually Accademy players.
Plus these are the ages that really look like making it :bluebird: :thumbright:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Mick McCarthy taking them seriously:

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:28 pm

Can only bear well for the future Annis, personally I wouldn't mind just floating in the Championship for a couple of years if we can hang on to these youngsters and form a good young team from them with obviously a few older pros to give some stability.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:38 pm

JulesK wrote:Can only bear well for the future Annis, personally I wouldn't mind just floating in the Championship for a couple of years if we can hang on to these youngsters and form a good young team from them with obviously a few older pros to give some stability.

Im with you on this,would be fantastic if the spine of our team was from our academy!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:43 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
JulesK wrote:Can only bear well for the future Annis, personally I wouldn't mind just floating in the Championship for a couple of years if we can hang on to these youngsters and form a good young team from them with obviously a few older pros to give some stability.

Im with you on this,would be fantastic if the spine of our team was from our academy!!

Some of us are old enough to remember the last bunch Paul :old:

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:00 pm

Our young players are the only thing that gives me hope at the moment. From what I've seen and read I believe Semenyo, Zimba and D'Almeda are not far away from the first team squad and young Cian Ashford at 16, is a real prospect. Heard good things about Keenan Patten too and we know that Mick likes Kieron Evans and Isaak Davies. Throw in Colwill, Bagan and McGuiness and you have virtually a full team of young and very young players. Now I'm not suggesting that we throw them all in at the same time, but in a season where we look like a middle of the table team, I think it's in the long term interests of the Club to blood as many as we can during the season.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:36 pm

JulesK wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

We are, Julesk; and we would love to see it again, so long as the style of play was as as progressive... :thumbright:

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:45 pm

Sven wrote:
JulesK wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

We are, Julesk; and we would love to see it again, so long as the style of play was as as progressive... :thumbright:

This is the problem Chris.

Most clubs I would imagine have a system of play that starts with the very young age groups and goes through to the u-18s, u-23s and first team.

But what chance have the decent young kids coming through who are playing a different system to McCarthy’s hit and hope style of football?

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:15 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Sven wrote:
JulesK wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

This is the problem Chris.

Most clubs I would imagine have a system of play that starts with the very young age groups and goes through to the u-18s, u-23s and first team.

But what chance have the decent young kids coming through who are playing a different system to McCarthy’s hit and hope style of football?

Sadly, very little, mate and (dare I say it) the working model for me would be Leeds United under Bielsa

They play his style at all levels and their preparedness shows when they are given a chance at each progressive level into the first team

It's also why his signings are specific and often from left-field; he knows exactly what he wants in terms of style, effort and mentality

It's one of the reasons I would have accepted the under appreciated (by the Jacks) Steve Cooper as our manager had he not gone to Forest. I think he could have been the ideal man to bring our new crop through playing attractive football

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:40 pm

Keep MM well away or they will be destroyed. Their style will get beaten out of them. He will need to go to have any hope of them playing front foot football.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:10 pm

A golden generation of young players in 1970-71 when City were in the FA Youth Cup final v Arsenal, 2 legs. Sadly we lost 2-0 on age after a 0-0 at Highbury in the first leg

Those of a certain age will recognise some decent names in there, especially club legend Phil Dwyer. Billy Kellock and Nigel Rees decent too, then McInch, Couch and Impey were ok.

1970–71: Arsenal v. Cardiff City

First leg - 28 April 1971

Arsenal 0–0 Cardiff City
Highbury Stadium, London
Referee: Derek Nippard

Arsenal
No. Pos. Player
1 GK Graham Horn
2 DF Dave Donaldson
3 DF Micky Shovelar
4 MF David Price
5 DF Brendon Batson