Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“The Cardiff Striker that could soon be in the first team ‘

Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:53 am

The next Cardiff City youngster on his way into first-team fold amid white-hot form

The striker has enjoyed an excellent start to the season and is hoping to benefit from Mick McCarthy's policy of having promote youth in the first team.

With Cardiff wanting to loan out Mark Harris and Kieffer Moore sold in January?
James Collins likely to be the main striker backed up by Chanka Zimba.

By Glen Williams

Thursday 23rd September 2021

While Cardiff City's senior strikers continue to misfire, within their youth ranks they have a forward in white-hot form.

For ardent followers of the Bluebirds' under-23s side, Chanka Zimba is someone who has impressed not only this season, but for the last 12 months or so.

What is important to note now is that these kids have a real opportunity to graduate into the first team, which has been evident this year more than ever.

Academy products Sam Bowen, Kieron Evans, Tavio d'Almeida, Oli Denham, Mark Harris and Rubin Colwill have all played this season, while Isaak Davies was meant to make his first-team debut in the final game of last season against Rotherham, but a cruel injury on the eve of the match prevented that from happening.

Ironically, it was Davies who was stunting Zimba's progression last season.

Zimba started the 2020/21 campaign as Steve Morison's first-choice striker, before he lost his spot to Davies around the turn of the year. It was at that time Mick McCarthy noticed Davies and he seemingly usurped Zimba in the pecking order, for both the first team and under-23s.

This season, though, Zimba looks to have come on leaps and bounds.

Davies' pre-season injury has taken its toll and the young Welshman is just taking his time in getting back up to full speed, but he is certainly still in the mix when it comes to McCarthy's thinking.

But while Davies edges himself closer to full form and fitness, Zimba has grabbed his opportunity with both hands.

Morison's young Bluebirds have won their opening four games of the Professional Development League 2 season and Zimba, who joined Cardiff after being released by Blackburn Rovers in the summer of 2020, has been central to that.

The 19-year-old has netted four times in the last three games and is now surely banging loudly on the for for a first-team call-up. His latest goal, in the 2-0 win over Sheffield United earlier this week, was an absolute peach, smashed into the bottom corner on the half volley from 20 yards.

Importantly, he offers something different to McCarthy's current second option, James Collins.

Zimba has shown that he has pace to burn, knows where the goal is and, as was the case late on against the Blades, can hold-up play and link with others brilliantly.

Kieron Evans was always considered to be the next cab off the rank and with him now having two first-team appearances under his belt and really integrated in that senior setup, it seems as though Zimba is likely the next candidate to make the step up.

Even as far back as when the club decided to allow Marley Watkins to leave, Zimba, and Davies, was on McCarthy's mind when shaping his squad in the final dealings of the transfer window.

“I’ve decided Marley Watkins won’t be staying with us and we will be using our youngsters," McCarthy said last month.

“Mark Harris, Rubin Colwill, Chanka Zimba if he gets there, Isaak Davies when he gets back and the lads we have got here. And I’m happy with them.”

It seems almost a matter of time now, especially given his own impressive numbers and the lack of form of both Kieffer Moore and James Collins at the minute, until Zimba gets his chance and you wouldn't bet against him to make an instant impression given how he has started the season.

And under-23s boss Morison hammered home that point after the win over the Blades on Tuesday.

"I think what has helped is that the gaffer has been so good with us. And TC (assistant Terry Connor) as well. They involve us all the time and involved the players, so they feel like they're wanted," Morison said.

"They know if they do well out there, when the opportunities open up with the First Team, the Gaffer will put them in.

"Last week, Kieron Evans plays for me on the Friday, scores two goals. I have to wake him up on the Saturday morning to get him in to travel, and he makes his debut on the Sunday, and then makes another appearance against Coventry.

"The proof is in the pudding. We're doing our work and the manager sees it and is a part of it. It all goes hand in hand. So, it is excellent."

The coaches must be applauded for their hard work, yes, but it is Zimba who cannot stop putting the ball in the back of the net at the minute.

And it is throwing up a healthy conundrum for McCarthy as he bids to get his side's season back on track this weekend against Blackburn Rovers.

Re: “ The Cardiff City Striker that could be in the first te

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:25 pm

Very difficult for a young striker to break into the 1st team.

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:36 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Very difficult for a young striker to break into the 1st team.

Ian,

I have been told the Committee want virtually the whole first team ne t season from last seasons U23’S & this seasons U23’S & they’ve told the Accademy managers this. It’s not about quality it’s about how cheap it will be.

Thankfully this season we will be safe from relegation as to next season can only see relegation.

These players need real quality around them to make them even better :thumbright: :thumbright:

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:58 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Very difficult for a young striker to break into the 1st team.

Ian,

I have been told the Committee want virtually the whole first team ne t season from last seasons U23’S & this seasons U23’S & they’ve told the Accademy managers this. It’s not about quality it’s about how cheap it will be.

Thankfully this season we will be safe from relegation as to next season can only see relegation.

These players need real quality around them to make them even better :thumbright: :thumbright:

Relegation next season Annis? Lets at least get this one finished 1st!
Who knows w hd st will happen before then??

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:14 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Ian,

Relegation next season Annis? Lets at least get this one finished 1st!
Who knows w hd st will happen before then??

I do try to be positive it’s hard to be, but I am we won’t be relegated this season :thumbright: :bluebird:

Thanks to Derby, Reading and a couple more to come plus a couple of very week clubs that have just come up from League 1.

Some real quality with our 17,18 & 19 yr olds very positive about that :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Re: “The Cardiff Striker that could soon be in the first tea

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:19 pm

Replies FB:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:36 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Ian,

I share your concerns. If you get one a season coming through from the development team you will have done well , two would be very good and three exceptional. But it seems if you are right that we are looking at getting around half a dozen. Their results to date are reasonable and good luck to them but its very early days.

For those of us with very long memories the best young side we ever had was the side which unluckily lost the FA Youth cup final to Arsenal in the seventies (I think it was the year Arsenal won the double) And yet of that side I can only think of Phil Dwyer who had a long and sucessful career. A few did alright -Derek Showers- but most most of them never made the grade.

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:42 pm

Surely it can't be true they want all under 23s next season, that is basically guaranteed relegation and that would hit tan even more in the pocket being in league 1, they may be clueless about football but even for them that would be reaching a new level of stupidity

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:43 pm

If it was to happen this way then it would be a terrible amount of pressure stepping into Moores shoes.Doesn't matter how talented he is the idiots will soon be on his back if he doesn't get a few goals strait away.

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:47 pm

Given that between them Harris Moore and Collins have scoored precisely one league goal between them I can't really think of a way the youngsters could be any worse. Think I would have both Simba and Evans on the bench Saturday with a view to bringing them both on at some stage. Getting red up of watching Collins missing chance after chance.

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:49 pm

danielrees17 wrote:Surely it can't be true they want all under 23s next season, that is basically guaranteed relegation and that would hit tan even more in the pocket being in league 1, they may be clueless about football but even for them that would be reaching a new level of stupidity

I wouldn't bank on it. After all, didn't Tan reportedly state that Marshall should score more goals :lol:

Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:41 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Replies FB:

Replies FB:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:21 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
danielrees17 wrote:Surely it can't be true they want all under 23s next season, that is basically guaranteed relegation and that would hit tan even more in the pocket being in league 1, they may be clueless about football but even for them that would be reaching a new level of stupidity

I wouldn't bank on it. After all, didn't Tan reportedly state that Marshall should score more goals :lol:

True :lol:

Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:44 pm

If the board really do want a team full of youngsters I hope they bring a new manager in and give him three seasons, even if relegated. I’d rather have a team of youngsters with a promising manager trying hard and playing some decent football with a risk of relegation that what we have now. Nothing against Mick, he’s been fine, but we need a new direction and his football isn’t suited to young inexperienced players

Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:47 pm

Jimmykingz wrote:If the board really do want a team full of youngsters I hope they bring a new manager in and give him three seasons, even if relegated. I’d rather have a team of youngsters with a promising manager trying hard and playing some decent football with a risk of relegation that what we have now. Nothing against Mick, he’s been fine, but we need a new direction and his football isn’t suited to young inexperienced players

If Mick leaves and more U23 make the first team surely its Steve Morrison as Mgr

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:22 am

Im really positive about the future and the new cheaper way for the club. The majority of our high earners of upto 30k per week will be gone or on much lower reasonable wages.

As a club we should not be paying these huge contracts and a reminder that Derby and Reading to an extent Bury FC should be a warning to everyone.

Football needs to get with reality and salaries of players for me is the reason why my own connection with football isn't the same as it was in the 1990s when players really fought for the shirt...if they didn't aka Tony philliskirk then they would soon be told.

Maybe our future leads to league one but as long as the club is there and not spending money we don't have I am more than happy to do the brilliant trips to the lower league clubs. That is were true football is not the premier league.

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:41 am

boyo1927 wrote:Im really positive about the future and the new cheaper way for the club. The majority of our high earners of upto 30k per week will be gone or on much lower reasonable wages.

As a club we should not be paying these huge contracts and a reminder that Derby and Reading to an extent Bury FC should be a warning to everyone.

Football needs to get with reality and salaries of players for me is the reason why my own connection with football isn't the same as it was in the 1990s when players really fought for the shirt...if they didn't aka Tony philliskirk then they would soon be told.

Maybe our future leads to league one but as long as the club is there and not spending money we don't have I am more than happy to do the brilliant trips to the lower league clubs. That is were true football is not the premier league.

They may have fought for the shirt in the 1990s but there were very few people watching them doing so as crowds were abysmal.i not a big fan of today's football but it's played in front of the highest crowds since the 1960s.