Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CARDIFF CITY V LEICESTER CITY PLAY-OFF SEMI-FINAL 2010

Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:41 pm

Just watched a replay of one of the most thrilling games witnessed at the CCS (and probably Ninian Park, too)

I think we went through every emotion after winning the first leg at their place and then going ahead through Michael 'over the hill' Chopra in the home leg

What a game; one we would eventually lose in open play but thankfully recover to see us go through via a nerve-racking penalty shoot-out

One of the most nervous, rollercoaster nights I've ever experienced. We went from highs to lows almost by the minute; but watching it back (now in the safe knowledge we won the game) I was able to appreciate the attacking brilliance of the team Dave Jones put together and the flair with which we were able to play

How I'd love to see a Bluebird team that played like that now... :clap: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Re: CARDIFF CITY V LEICESTER CITY PLAY-OFF SEMI-FINAL 2010

Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:52 pm

Cardiff 2 - 3 Leicester (agg 3 - 3)
*Cardiff win 4-3 on penalties

Cardiff advanced to the Championship play-off final against Blackpool after a dramatic penalty shoot-out win.

Goalkeeper David Marshall was Cardiff's penalty hero saving twice as the Bluebirds beat Leicester 4-3 on spot-kicks after a 3-3 aggregate draw.

Michael Chopra struck first before Matt Fryatt, a Mark Hudson own goal and Andy King put Leicester ahead overall.

Peter Whittingham's penalty levelled it before Leicester's Yann Kermorgant and Martyn Waghorn missed in the shoot-out.

Bruno Berner, Steve Howard and Nolberto Solano had scored in the penalty shoot-out for the Foxes while Michael Chopra, Ross McCormack and Joe Ledley had kept their cool for Cardiff.

But Kermorgant was Leicester's villain as the 28-year-old Frenchman chose the wrong time to try a cheeky chip, which Marshall comfortably saved.

Mark Kennedy fired in from 12 yards for the Bluebirds before Scottish international Marshall kept out Waghorn to leave Cardiff a possible 90 minutes from the Premier League and an estimated £90m jackpot.

It was the first time Leicester had lost a Championship play-off semi-final after succeeding in their previous four attempts.

Whittingham was Cardiff's goal hero from the 1-0 first-leg triumph and the in-form winger should have added to his 24 goals this season inside four minutes.

Chopra's beautifully weighted pass took out covering Leicester defender Solano, but the former England under-21 international dragged his shot wide when one-on-one with visiting keeper Chris Weale.

Whittingham's wonder goal on Sunday was the toast of the Welsh capital and he went close with another free-kick, but Weale saw this 20-yard effort all the way.

Cardiff City Team:

01 Marshall
02 McNaughton (Quinn 97yellow card)
05 Hudsonyellow card
03 Kennedy
07 Whittingham (McCormack 91)
10 McPhail
11 Burke (Etuhu 60)
16 Ledley
23 Blake
08 Chopra
09 Bothroyd

Substitutes
20 Enckelman
06 Gyepes
14 Quinn
12 Capaldi
28 Wildig
17 Etuhu
44 McCormack

Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:14 am

I was at both games.

That first leg was a brilliant performance and what a free kick it was from the late, great Peter Whittingham.

We weren't as good in the second leg at home but our first leg performance was that good, we deserved to go through.

Great moment when Kermorgant messed up his penalty in the shootout. Probably up there with the best atmosphere we've had at CCS. I think a Leicester fan even made a joke video about Kermorgant's miss :lol:

.. Just a shame it was all for nothing in the end with the result against Blackpool in the final.

I will say that we played brilliant attractive football under Dave Jones.

But ultimately, he was a failure because we didn't get promoted. He was a bit like Billy Davies.

It's the fine line between attractive football and success. We played great football under Jones but weren't as successful as we should have been. Particularly given the squad he had the following season.

Whereas our football under Malky and Warnock wasn't attractive but we achieved great success with both of them in getting promoted and, in Malky's case, getting to a cup final and only losing on penalties against as big a club as Liverpool.

Our football when Harris was in charge was poor but even he came close to achieving success when he got us in the play-offs before it fell apart last season.

Unfortunately, right now, we don't play attractive football and we are a long way off being successful in this division.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:18 am

You only got look at the line up to see the difference in quality to today. Chopra, Boothroyd, Burke, Whittingham, Ledley, McNaughton etc. McCormack on the bench!!

And though we lost Ledley, next season we added Bellamy, Olifinjahna and had Drinkwater, Ramsey and Koumas for part of the season. What a side!

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:14 am

JJ1927 wrote:You only got look at the line up to see the difference in quality to today. Chopra, Boothroyd, Burke, Whittingham, Ledley, McNaughton etc. McCormack on the bench!!

And though we lost Ledley, next season we added Bellamy, Olifinjahna and had Drinkwater, Ramsey and Koumas for part of the season. What a side!

Ye that side would rip our current team to shreds if they played each other

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:47 am

JJ1927 wrote:You only got look at the line up to see the difference in quality to today. Chopra, Boothroyd, Burke, Whittingham, Ledley, McNaughton etc. McCormack on the bench!!

Imagine what DJ would have done if he had the backing Malky had. He built that squad with pennies.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:54 am

darran1927 wrote:

Ye that side would rip our current team to shreds if they played each other

That side would probably still beat this lot now !!!!

Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:42 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:I was at both games.

That first leg was a brilliant performance and what a free kick it was from the late, great Peter Whittingham.

We weren't as good in the second leg at home but our first leg performance was that good, we deserved to go through.

Great moment when Kermorgant messed up his penalty in the shootout. Probably up there with the best atmosphere we've had at CCS. I think a Leicester fan even made a joke video about Kermorgant's miss :lol:

.. Just a shame it was all for nothing in the end with the result against Blackpool in the final.

I will say that we played brilliant attractive football under Dave Jones.

But ultimately, he was a failure because we didn't get promoted. He was a bit like Billy Davies.

It's the fine line between attractive football and success. We played great football under Jones but weren't as successful as we should have been. Particularly given the squad he had the following season.

Whereas our football under Malky and Warnock wasn't attractive but we achieved great success with both of them in getting promoted and, in Malky's case, getting to a cup final and only losing on penalties against as big a club as Liverpool.

Our football when Harris was in charge was poor but even he came close to achieving success when he got us in the play-offs before it fell apart last season.

Unfortunately, right now, we don't play attractive football and we are a long way off being successful in this division.

You mentioned the atmosphere in the ground and I have to say you were spot on. When people talk about an electric or charged atmosphere, thanks to this game I know exactly to what they're referring. It felt tangible, a unique feeling that I've not experienced before or since, although the atmosphere at the Hamburg and Real Madrid games came close to it.

I've seen the game itself several times since and we were great to watch, although a tad lucky not to concede a killer goal right at the end of the game. I also recommend the second leg of the League Cup semi against Palace. We were pretty awesome in that game too.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:11 pm

I recall that era very well. We definitely played the best football we have done over the last couple of decades but we were not consistent enough. e played some football that could be matched with what we are playing now.

For me it was a wasted opportunity as we had a quality squad but we failed to get promoted. We we had got promoted we could still be in the premier now with an established squad.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:41 pm

Agree with everything said. Best times supporting ccfc.
Other reflection is how Bothroyd changed after his England cap.