Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The players out of contract

Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:20 pm

I wonder how the clubs philosophy of getting rid of players out of contract is affecting performances.

Joe Bennet who worked diligently to get fit, but moved on and in the process asking a teenager to play every game.

Many of these players know they have no chance of another contract regardless of how they perform.

It cant be a happy place to be at the moment and will get worse on Tuesday without doubt.

Thinking we are in no danger of relegation is optimistic.

Any team who can pass quickly and has pace outplays us everytime.

Hard to see where the improvement is going to come from given the lack of quality in the squad.

Re: The players out of contract

Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:05 pm

fred keenor wrote:I wonder how the clubs philosophy of getting rid of players out of contract is affecting performances.

Joe Bennet who worked diligently to get fit, but moved on and in the process asking a teenager to play every game.

Many of these players know they have no chance of another contract regardless of how they perform.

It cant be a happy place to be at the moment and will get worse on Tuesday without doubt.

Hard to see where the improvement is going to come from given the lack of quality in the squad.

Will be interesting as if micks still here how much will he take from committees puppet or not? regarding who he will want to keep from old guard... will they get rid of him after having an epiphany about way we play and our youngsters needing better managing.?

Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:34 am

pembroke allan wrote:
fred keenor wrote:I wonder how the clubs philosophy of getting rid of players out of contract is affecting performances.

Will be interesting as if micks still here how much will he take from committees puppet or not? regarding who he will want to keep from old guard... will they get rid of him after having an epiphany about way we play and our youngsters needing better managing.?

With a huge cull in June it would be a brilliant opportunity to get a new man with fresh ideas in. Give him a bit of cash bring Wintle back and so begins the rebirth of the way we play.
Ah well, sounds good.

Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:37 am

The youngsters may be a breath of fresh air at the club, but to think they can all step up to the championship table is a leap of faith which will see us in league 1.
Asking teenagers to play every week against the physicality and technical ability of proven players is madness.
Rest is just as important as playing at their age.

Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:02 am

fred keenor wrote:The youngsters may be a breath of fresh air at the club, but to think they can all step up to the championship table is a leap of faith which will see us in league 1.
Asking teenagers to play every week against the physicality and technical ability of proven players is madness.
Rest is just as important as playing at their age.

Very true the dilemma is do you keep mick and hope he doesnt keep or bring in similar players that suits his style play? Because if do wont be surprised to see several of our better youngsters like colwill going to top championship or lower premier league clubs as playing for city will ruin their confidence and development

Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:16 pm

The one good thing about our youngsters they are used to playing above their age group
Right through the academy
Think a lot of comments on here about them
Comes from fans not even seeing them play
History is full of 17/18 year olds playing in the premier
If good enough old enough comes to mind
Remember 92 how many of them came through together
You.omly have to look at the young ones best games for its when
They have another youngster along side of them
Some say bagan has made mistakes far enough but hes young and will learn
Morrison flint nelson all making mistakes and there learning days are well over
Just my opinion but 6/7 from the under 23s with 4/3"old heads would not be any worse than
What we are playing with so called older experienced players

Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:55 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:The one good thing about our youngsters they are used to playing above their age group
Just my opinion but 6/7 from the under 23s with 4/3"old heads would not be any worse than

Sounds good

Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:53 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:The one good thing about our youngsters they are used to playing above their age group

Dont think the problem is playing youngster even 6 of them the problem lies with way we play football? Is there anyone who thinks micks way is good for their development or even suits them? Tbh the more pressing thing is to change way we play as I've said previously end season perfect time to do this with so many out contract but a big BUT is mick the man to bring in right players to supplement the youngsters we have? Given his view if cant win musnt lose attitude can only see defensive minded players to suit his style coming in so back to square one..... unless new man comes in and their are lots managers who would swap clubs to come here? Despite what people say we are a good catch in comparison to fair few championship clubs

Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:10 am

The Man Utd team of ‘92 was somewhat of a statistical anomaly in that not many, if any team has ever replicated it to such a high standard, at such a high level of football in just one season. Added to this the hustle and bustle of the Championship, meaning physical development is also important, I personally think having as many as 7 youngsters in the staring 11 is a big risk and would prefer to see some of them being introduced more gradually.

Then again, admittedly I’m one of the people commenting without seeing much of them playing (although it’s sometimes hard to gauge at youth level), plus it’s hard to disagree with you after a 5-1 drubbing. :thumbup:

Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:01 am

103 Barmy Army wrote:

The Man Utd team of ‘92 was somewhat of a statistical anomaly in that not many, if any team has ever replicated it to such a high standard, at such a high level of football in just one season. Added to this the hustle and bustle of the Championship, meaning physical development is also important, I personally think having as many as 7 youngsters in the staring 11 is a big risk and would prefer to see some of them being introduced more gradually.

Then again, admittedly I’m one of the people commenting without seeing much of them playing (although it’s sometimes hard to gauge at youth level), plus it’s hard to disagree with you after a 5-1 drubbing. :thumbup:

I think that would be the sensible approach. Trouble is, there’s not many fit ‘older’ players left at the club in key positions such as wing and left back.

Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:05 am

The problem with the youngsters is that they are coming into a poor side with a style of play which isn't particularly conducive for their development.

Also we all know the problems we have - no pace, flair and creativity... the youngsters who are natural in these positions are not yet ready for the first team, and it is unfair that ALL pace, flair and creativity falls on their shoulders.

Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:57 am

Don't think its as dramatic as the players contract running down, in fact, that should make them try harder and look worthy of another championship contract.

No, for me its every club has a team of video analysts, and the blueprint to 3 points against Cardiff is well and truly out there. Play in between the channels of the 3 centre halfs, they and the sitters are so slow it's a free for all. They will drop to a back 5 to close those gaps so you push up as you are playing a back 5, two slow sitters and they have no pace up front. So crowd the midfeild they can't hit you on a break/transition

Its Mick that's all. The team is more than capable of 433 he just doesn't want to drop one of the three centre halfs.