Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ The road ahead for CCFC “

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:41 am

AS WE ALREADY KNOW TIME & TIME AGAIN FROM MICK WHO STATED THAT HE HAD A BIG / QUALITY SQUAD WITH STRENGTH IN DEPTH & ALL POSITIONS COVERED.

95% of us knew Mick was talking shite & saying only what his bosses wanted him to say.

And I said from day one, we will be lucky to have three quality youngsters, three for me was amazing anyway :bluebird: , 10 were thrown in to the squad , not because they were good enough, but they are cheap.

Then some fans and MICK himself praised our results at the beginning against the weaker clubs, where I actually believe we struggled against these teams.

It’s not just our results it’s, the football, hoof ball and dire.

The road ahead in my opinion is going to get tougher & tougher and if teams like Blackburn can actually hammer us, I dread what January will be like with injuries etc .

Sky money has virtually become peanuts compared to our last three years.

Sadly the board are not interested.

Tan has three more court cases to come and will soon be blaming these for our problems.

Tuesday Aug 24 Cardiff 0 Brighton 2 :cry: League Cup Rd 2 Crowd 6,013 Away Support ( 492)

Sat Aug 28 Cardiff City 1 Bristol City 2 :cry: :cry: Crowd 20,891 Away Support ( 2,440)

Sunday Sep 12 Nottingham Forest 1 Cardiff City 2 Crowd 24,153 Away Support ( 1,668) :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Sep 15 Coventry City 1 Cardiff City 0 :cry: :cry: Crowd Away Support ( 1,277)

Sat Sep 18 Cardiff City 0 A.F.C. Bournemouth 1 :cry: :cry: Crowd 19,090 Away Support (1,452)

Sat Sep 25 Blackburn Rovers 5 Cardiff City 1 Crowd 11,670 Away (940) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Tue Sep 28 Cardiff City v West Bromwich Albion

Sat Oct 2 Cardiff City v Reading

- Swansea City v Cardiff City – 12pm, Sunday 17th October (Sky Sports) £30,000 for Cardiff City :thumbright:

- Fulham (A) – 7:45pm, Wednesday 20th October

- Middlesbrough (H) – 12:30pm, Saturday 23rd October (Sky Sports) £150,000 for Cardiff City :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sat Oct 30 Stoke City A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ The road ahead for CCFC “

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:43 am

OPINIONS: :bluebird:

Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:05 am

I fear this model of using the kids/fringe players is going to be our downfall big time. I have felt this way since the Coventry game where we were just ripped apart.

The only way out of this is to change our tactics by playing out from the back on the ground and not hoof it up field. problem is I just don't think we are capable of that. I read people saying that is how the youngsters play the game in the U23s and below and we should give them the chance to do that in the first team BUT are they strong enough to apply that at the 1st team level? only way to find out is give them the chance. My fear is that it could get a lot worse before getting better.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:34 am

May be as well to take the hit now, even if it means relegation. In that case, they would be better off shifting Mick out now, unless they are not sure what they want do do with the Club.

How much we are worth?

Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:48 am

A lot on the message board was demanding that they give MM a contract after the first 10 games in charge- when we should have waited till the end of the season.Clearly it was the wrong decision and we should have parted company at the end of the season. No point getting rid now, let’s see how the season unfolds. If not going for promotion or relegation we can look at the situation just before the season ends.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:49 am

rumpo kid wrote:May be as well to take the hit now, even if it means relegation. In that case, they would be better off shifting Mick out now, unless they are not sure what they want do do with the Club.

How much we are worth?

With pending points deduction from 2 more clubs it just might be worth going for it. Even so, have we enough to avoid relegation? Then again, would a season or 2 in League one be good for us during this transition?

Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:51 am

I find the current position as alarming, Saturday underlines that the first team squad is not up to a standard to compete at the top end of the table. We have a conflict of styles, the first team has decended to just hit and hope and we have the position where the under 23s are trying to play a much more expansive game. We are asking the youngsters to step up to first team football when not only have they got to step up to the championship level but a totally alien method of play ( hmm Method Play ???) we also have too many inexperienced players on the park at the same time, that is not good for their development and certainly not good for the team.

The one thing that has dominated football in general and it seams that the championship is at the sharp end, is the financial state, (Just look at Derby and it should send a shudder throughout Football). WE have high earners not contributing to the first team (Tomlin, Vassell and to a lesser degree now Murphy- he is still costing City £10K a week in Preston taking a big chunk out of the playing budget). I think the club was sailing very close to the wind and the current cutting of cuts was always going to happen.

All of this points to one position - the Manager, I think he has overseen a totally on-co-ordinated approach which is resulting in a chaotic outcome and he is not making best use of what he has got. MM needs to go and as has been mentioned maybe the likes of a Gareth Anisworth needs to be appointed who can streamlined the club to get the best out of what players are already here. :old: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:07 am

When the Famous Committee actually use to attend our matches / now it’s every few years for all to attend , London is where the three of them are virtually every day
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:11 am

One thing is for sure we are in a right mess financially and the playing staff and closer to league 1 than the premier league.

Who gave out all these huge contracts, surely there should have been a relegation clause built in? Dalman and Choo are both culpable.

For someone who has watched us for many a year, we looked completely out of our depth on saturday. Probably been decades since we last looked so poor.

Hopefully a 1 off , but lose against WBA with a poor performance and the board may well have something to think about sooner rather than later.

The whole scenario has been brought about by mismanagement at the top.

If they think the youngsters are the answer well good luck with that.

And lastly it would be nice to hear some honesty from someone at the top and MM.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:13 am

Replies FB:

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:14 am

Forever Blue wrote:When the Famous Committee actually use to attend our matches / now it’s every few years for all to attend , London is where the three of them are virtually every day

I wonder when was the last time Dalman came to a match at leckwith. Covid did not stop directors from attending matches.

Smacks of a total lack of interest at the top, minimal outlay and lack of investment only leads to 1 thing, whatever league you are in.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:21 am

Bakedalasker wrote:I fear this model of using the kids/fringe players is going to be our downfall big time. I have felt this way since the Coventry game where we were just ripped apart.

The only way out of this is to change our tactics by playing out from the back on the ground and not hoof it up field. problem is I just don't think we are capable of that. I read people saying that is how the youngsters play the game in the U23s and below and we should give them the chance to do that in the first team BUT are they strong enough to apply that at the 1st team level? only way to find out is give them the chance. My fear is that it could get a lot worse before getting better.

Agree I said in another thread, I'm all for youngsters coming through but that many all at once is asking for trouble especially as Bagan is our 1st choice lb lot of pressure on him . youngsters need to be blooded in properly not chucked in the deep end

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:26 am

darran1927 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:I fear this model of using the kids/fringe players is going to be our downfall big time. I have felt this way since the Coventry game where we were just ripped apart.

Agree I said in another thread, I'm all for youngsters coming through but that many all at once is asking for trouble especially as Bagan is our 1st choice lb lot of pressure on him . youngsters need to be blooded in properly not chucked in the deep end

:thumbup:

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:27 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
rumpo kid wrote:May be as well to take the hit now, even if it means relegation. In that case, they would be better off shifting Mick out now, unless they are not sure what they want do do with the Club.

How much we are worth?

With pending points deduction from 2 more clubs it just might be worth going for it. Even so, have we enough to avoid relegation? Then again, would a season or 2 in League one be good for us during this transition?

I think getting relegated would be a disaster look at Sunderland they were expected to come back up bye still there and Ipswich could go down to league 2

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:30 am

darran1927 wrote:

I said this at the start of the season about Bagan and I got shot down saying I was singling out one player. I wasn't, I like him....but I think he should be brought through sparingly and not chucked in 90mins of every game as he is still young and makes mistakes which is ok as he hopefully learns from them. At the moment we are at risk of damaging the confidence of all the youngsters coming through, they have been chucked in and are doing their best but Mick isn't giving them a chance to "play" thanks to his awful tactics.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:32 am

CantonStandBob wrote:
darran1927 wrote:

I said this at the start of the season about Bagan and I got shot down saying I was singling out one player. I wasn't, I like him....but I think he should be brought through sparingly and not chucked in 90mins of every game as he is still young and makes mistakes which is ok as he hopefully learns from them. At the moment we are at risk of damaging the confidence of all the youngsters coming through, they have been chucked in and are doing their best but Mick isn't giving them a chance to "play" thanks to his awful tactics.

Agree, I think we could ruin a few of the youngsters by playing our tactics instead of the more passing style they had in the academy/u23

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:37 am

The road ahead unfortunately is a dead end.
Even if we changed the manager the players will still be there.We've got some players who would struggle in league 1 let alone the championship.How come nobody comes in for our players(Keiffer Moore apart).Our squad are worth peanuts,our owner thinks the club is a hindrance,chairman and ceo never turn up at games,our most creative player(Tomlin) never playes,the list goes on and on.We need football people running our club full stop.The way we play is shocking,never in over 45 yrs of watching city have i seen such crap.The players get a "HARD-ON"when we win a throw-in.!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:43 am

fred keenor wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:When the Famous Committee actually use to attend our matches / now it’s every few years for all to attend , London is where the three of them are virtually every day

I wonder when was the last time Dalman came to a match at leckwith. Covid did not stop directors from attending matches.

Smacks of a total lack of interest at the top, minimal outlay and lack of investment only leads to 1 thing, whatever league you are in.

I actually can’t remember.

Dalman is just a costly Chairman on our pay roll and talks complete shite.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:50 am

A plan to move forward is required which has more joined up thinking and a common purpose, the key to this is a Manager who can develop a purpose with the Board to back that up (this does not mean throwing lots of money at it). At the moments its totally disjointed!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:01 am

Annis, I've said this for a good few years. There are trends in football and certain things go hand in hand.

I've been highlighted as a moaner, as negative, as knowing NOTHING about football and our club, that I've been desperate for us to fail so I can say 'I told you so'. I've never once wanted to be right in my judgement/ accusations of the club because I can see where it will take us.

Trends in football are easy to spot if you have followed a team for as long as we have.

Sadly, It doesn't have to be this way. The club can be put in a better position with a little money spent, a bigger squad capable of covering injuries, and more Importantly a new manager who is able to manage without interference.

MM has been a huge disappointment. Never thought he was a puppet or willing to compromise his status or standards for a dictator.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:06 am

C0F8D854-85D7-410D-8084-899731C2541D.jpg

I wonder if they will be allowed to comment anytime soon :lol:

Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:25 am

Our problems at the moment are due to poor tactics and personnel choices. MM needs to be bold. Strangely the solution might be to pick more young players rather than dropping them.

Bacuna is not a forward/winger in any shape or form. He is a defensive midfielder and if we want to get the best out of him then that is where he needs to play.

I would revamp central defence and find a place for Mark McGuinness as we need more pace. Upfront Giles is nailed on for the left wing and I would try Sang on the right wing to supply KM with quality crosses into the box.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:34 pm

Even if McCarthy went the odds on City getting a progressive modern day football manager would be negligible given Dalman & Choo don’t know anything about football.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:40 pm

Dalhman has no interest and no feeling for cardiff he was trying to get to charlton a few seasons ago shocking that we have people at the top who really could' nt give a sh.t
And if they did we would not be in this position along with the manager who keep saying he is happy with the squad ffs.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:34 pm

Rather play in a division down with a good Chairman and Manager who was at least enthusiastic.. even Mick looks distraught at watching this rubbish ..

Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:27 pm

By any standards - at least apart from the top 6 or 7 PL clubs - we've been on a wonderful, eventful, thrill-filled 20 year roller-coaster. For every good owner in football there are probably at least as many bad ones, if not more. Relegation, COVID, and an increasingly remote owner and board have probably contributed to the general malaise and lack of optimism around the club & supporters, but I'd count Tan amongst the 'good owners'.
With a squad that has become weaker and weaker it's a situation where many clubs would start to spiral downwards until they find a level where they stop falling and can start to plan and rebuild. I doubt that Tan has that in mind however. It would almost wipe his investment out, and I don't doubt, damage his reputation, especially in Asia.
So I agree with Tony Blue's assessment. We have to keep withing FFP rules to avoid points deductions, which would be the nail in our Championship coffin. We all agree how money's been wasted, how we have a dreadful squad which at times looks like they should be playing at Pontcanna, but McCarthy for all his faults is a safe pair of hands. If we finish 21st this season, he'd have done his job. I'm sure next season would then be an opportunity to start building slowly whilst retaining our Championship status.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:00 pm

There was obviously a plan to get rid of as many high paid players as possible in the summer with the others to go next summer. The kids were there to subsidise the playing staff and hopefully shine with no expectation whatsoever that we would gain promotion. So the plan this year was to survive and that should be achieved, if only because clubs are being penalised through points deduction. So what was the plan for next year??

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:10 pm

bluelover wrote:There was obviously a plan to get rid of as many high paid players as possible in the summer with the others to go next summer. The kids were there to subsidise the playing staff and hopefully shine with no expectation whatsoever that we would gain promotion. So the plan this year was to survive and that should be achieved, if only because clubs are being penalised through points deduction. So what was the plan for next year??

Sell our youngsters for a profit and replace them with fringe players.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:14 pm

Forever Blue wrote:OPINIONS: :bluebird:

My honest opinion on the points you raise

Mick McCarthy is recently evidencing that he is out of touch with modern football but , like Neil Warnock before him is too stubborn or proud to admit it and falls back on the old adage of how he has many many years of experience in football. Unfortunately the football both he and NW had experience of has moved on considerably over the years and largely left them behind.

The fault I put on the CCFC board is they didn`t move NW out as soon as we reached the Premier League or at very least when his "questionable" dealings with a disgraced former football intermediary came to light. They were also at fault in rushing into an extended contract for MM. To me that demonstrated their lack of a decision maker with current football knowledge on the club board - a weakness which needs to be addressed urgently if we are to progress as a club.

Our current style of football at first team level is , in my opinion, appalling. I am at a total loss as to why players paid several thousands of £ a week cannot even do the basics of controlling a ball properly when passed to them or passing the ball accurately themselves. Every team we have played so far this season can do that , as can our u23 side - they go two steps further in that they can receive and control a pass whilst moving and can move into space to receive a ball.

The youngsters we now have in or on the fringes of the team have the skills but some are being asked to change their game plan, negating the skills they have, or are being played out of position (e.g Tom Sang who is a better midfielder than any of our current central midfielders). Also those youngsters will have spells of bad form (e.g Joel Bagan) and need to be occasionally rested. Must be demoralising for them though when they see the senior pros playing so poorly but with seemingly little chance of being dropped because that would mean MM having to admit that he is getting it wrong.

On the legal case front, of the three cases you refer to , the Michael Isaac one has already failed at first instance at court and the Sam and Nantes ones almost certainly wont come to court until next year when I fully expect the club to win both of them (only time will tell ).

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:34 pm

Re: trapping the ball, you’re right mate. I can’t understand how some players struggle. Same as the ‘weaker foot’ commentators speak of. They’re pros, they should be competent with both..