A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Robert Glatzel “

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:22 am

Top German League / playing football on the ground

And we lost a fortune in Glatzel

6 goals in 9 appearances

TLG:

Glatzel doing well at Hamburg

Robert Glatzel scored twice today in Hamburg’s 2-2 draw with Nuremberg in Bundesliga 2. Both goals were headers, as was his goal last weekend in a 2-0 victory at Werder Bremen.

So far, Glatzel has scored 6 goals in 9 appearances for Hamburg. His team has only lost once so far this season, but they’ve drawn 4 of their 8 league games

Re: “ Robert Glatzel “

Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:25 am

I’ve been keeping an eye on his progress over there. Whilst I doubt the league is as physical as the championship the standard is arguably better or similar. It was unfortunate that we did not play to his strengths at all during his time here and that obviously dented his confidence when he was giving the odd appearance. We did see glimpses of what he could do in games, the finish against Leeds comes to mind. I know that I would prefer him to any of our strikers at the minute on current form. But with the style Mick plays he was never going to be given a chance and would never look good. I’m happy for him that he is now thriving.
In regards to the transfer fee another one signed by Warnock for a ridiculous fee. Our only decent business over the last few years has to be for people we had on free transfers (Moore is the only one I can think who’s come good)

Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:22 am

I suspect Bundesliga 2 is nowhere near the standard of the Championship

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:07 pm

[quote="mjw6150"]I suspect Bundesliga 2 is nowhere near the standard of the Championship[/quote

Really? The football played there is as good as the best teams in the championship imho,played on the floor! And a lot more finesse than many teams in the championship, all opinions of course!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:45 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:I’ve been keeping an eye on his progress over there. Whilst I doubt the league is as physical as the championship the standard is arguably better or similar. It was unfortunate that we did not play to his strengths at all during his time here and that obviously dented his confidence when he was giving the odd appearance. We did see glimpses of what he could do in games, the finish against Leeds comes to mind. I know that I would prefer him to any of our strikers at the minute on current form. But with the style Mick plays he was never going to be given a chance and would never look good. I’m happy for him that he is now thriving.
In regards to the transfer fee another one signed by Warnock for a ridiculous fee. Our only decent business over the last few years has to be for people we had on free transfers (Moore is the only one I can think who’s come good)

You'd prefer him than Moore?

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:57 pm

mjw6150 wrote:I suspect Bundesliga 2 is nowhere near the standard of the Championship

I wouldn't have thought there is a lot of difference. I am no expert but there are some big old German names from the past in that league- Hamburg, Werder Bremmen, Shalke, Dynamo Dresden, Fortuna Dussledorf to name but a few

Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:34 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:I’ve been keeping an eye on his progress over there. Whilst I doubt the league is as physical as the championship the standard is arguably better or similar. It was unfortunate that we did not play to his strengths at all during his time here and that obviously dented his confidence when he was giving the odd appearance. We did see glimpses of what he could do in games, the finish against Leeds comes to mind. I know that I would prefer him to any of our strikers at the minute on current form. But with the style Mick plays he was never going to be given a chance and would never look good. I’m happy for him that he is now thriving.

You'd prefer Moore who has done nothing all season?

Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:49 pm

nubbsy wrote:

Yes as I said in the post in current form I would. Moore has had a very bad start to the season. In my opinion one of our worst performers along with Ng and Collins. I don’t know whether that’s due to being out with covid and so on or whether his heads been turned.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:08 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:I suspect Bundesliga 2 is nowhere near the standard of the Championship

I wouldn't have thought there is a lot of difference. I am no expert but there are some big old German names from the past in that league- Hamburg, Werder Bremmen, Shalke, Dynamo Dresden, Fortuna Dussledorf to name but a few

I don’t think that really says anything about the quality of the league. Sunderland and Bolton are pretty big names in English football but they’re still League One quality. Fortuna Düsseldorf’s best years were around the time Nottingham Forest were winning European trophies yet they’re sitting in the relegation zone these days.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:18 pm

Everyone said Glatzel wasn’t good enough - answer in reality is that we just didn’t play to his strengths. In hindsight it is not a surprise that Mick was quick to drop him and move him on as he is even less likely to play to his strengths

Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:20 pm

The defending is much looser there.. you’ll probably get twice as many chances in B2 than our league .. saying that, we wasted Glatzel who I thought was a good player..

If you don’t hoof and hod carry, you don’t last long at CCFC..

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:09 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

Yes as I said in the post in current form I would. Moore has had a very bad start to the season. In my opinion one of our worst performers along with Ng and Collins. I don’t know whether that’s due to being out with covid and so on or whether his heads been turned.

Moore is getting zero service. Thats why he isnt scoring. He runs himself into the ground chasing shadows and aimless long balls. There's not a lot he can do when all we seem to do is kick it long and hope to win a throw-in in their half. Glatzel wouldn't do any better with the way we play.