Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE CARDIFF CITY TRANSFER GAMBLE THAT IS

Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:20 am

My View:

WOW: Good to see Glen Williams finally being honest and saying the squad is thin, we never strengthened, bringing in 10 players are making out all quality, when not.

I got slaughtered on here for saying NO way have we 10 quality Championship players from our U23’S suddenly after they themselves had had a bad season.
I wanted players to come through and do the job, 2 I finally expected after 11 yrs of waiting, but suddenly 10 and the posters now suddenly gone in to hiding slating me for being realistic and honest.

We are so luck regarding Derby & Reading.

Five defeats in our last six games and only win v bottom of the Championship then Forest.

The Bluebirds have seen their form slump in recent weeks but changes must be made if they are to pick themselves up and get their season back on track

The Transfer gamble of not spending anything, not strengthening bringing in ten players from the U23 Squad seems not be paying off.

By Glen Williams

Monday 27th September 2021

Mick McCarthy joined thousands of Cardiff City fans in admitting his concern over the Bluebirds' ugly form in recent weeks.

Saturday's demolition job by Blackburn Rovers means Cardiff have lost five of their last six games in all competitions and the momentum has been knocked clean out of their sails in the process.

It is the most challenging moment of Mick McCarthy's Cardiff City reign.

The Bluebirds' excellent form under the manager after he was brought in back in January served as some encouragement heading into this campaign. Indeed, with a few good additions and players surplus to requirements being shipped out, blended with the emergence of promising youngsters, there was hope that Cardiff could be in and around the play-offs this season.

Of course, it is too early to write them off entirely, being mid-table after nine fixtures and still only five points off the play-offs is no catastrophe, but far more needs to be shown to convince the increasingly frustrated fan base that this squad is capable of taking a promotion push deep into the season.

Concerns were voiced after the transfer window closed because while form, at that particular point, was palatable, the football was not.

McCarthy's remit when he was brought in at the start of the year was to steer the club to safety. Of course, he went above and beyond that and even made an unlikely end-of-season push for the top six.

It was percentage football. The ball was cleared as far away from Cardiff's goal as quickly as possible and City looked to capitalise on counter-attacks or from set-pieces.

And that worked and yielded results last season, the manager and his coaching staff deserved all the credit they received for it. But what was the strategy coming into this season?

It is clear the club had no money to spend in the window. Despite letting 13 players leave - some of whom were on chunky wage packets - Cardiff dealt in only loans and free transfers as they brought four players into the building (one of whom was swiftly shipped out on loan).

That is quite the player deficit. Whether that was borne of financial necessity or the management genuinely believing they had enough talent within their youth ranks to sustain a promotion challenge only they will know, but one suspects it is probably a bit of both.

There is no question, though, that transfer window strategy was a big gamble.

The club must be commended for coaxing through the likes of Rubin Colwill, Sam Bowen and Kieron Evans this season, complementing Mark Harris, Joel Bagan, Tom Sang and Ciaron Brown, who had already established themselves in the first-team squad after coming through the youth ranks.

Indeed, for many supporters, it has been the highlight of their season, watching these young tyros make their first steps in senior football.

But the other side of the coin is that not all of them are going to have an immediate impact and when there are so few experienced options available to facilitate easing them in slowly, you quickly back yourself into a corner.

The squad looks particularly thin now, especially at the top end of the pitch. Quality, attacking bench options are few and far between and it means they are left hoping that Colwill produces a stunning debut season or Harris' attacking output quadruples this term.

There is a real dearth of options out wide and the deficiency in quality wingers was laid bare when Ryan Giles was forced to sit out of the last three-and-a-half games due to Covid. The reliance Cardiff have already on a 21-year-old Premier League loanee is becoming clearer by the match.

The Bluebirds have put all their eggs in one basket when it comes to how they play and there has been no evolution in that sense from last season.

Cardiff have scored 12 goals in the league this term, only two of them, Colwill's against Nottingham Forest, have not been headers. Drink that in.

Cardiff's unashamedly direct, set-piece football is fine as an option. It can clearly work and they have the personnel to be really effective with it, but if it is all you have then it is no wonder that opposition teams will figure you out. Winning ugly is fine, but losing ugly can quickly dig you into a mire.

With that in mind, changes need to be rung for the visit of West Brom on Tuesday evening. The playbook must be ripped up to an extent.

McCarthy's penchant for employing a back five must surely be built on the premise that the defence is solid and acts as an almost impenetrable base from which counter attacks can be launched. It must be a system which ensures Cardiff are tough to break down and goals for the opposition come at a premium.

Well, nine games in and only three teams have conceded more goals than the Bluebirds, so packing the back line is clearly not working and is something which needs addressing for when the Baggies come to town.

While Bagan is clearly a talent and will blossom into a fine footballer in the years to come, he has struggled in that wing-back role at times this term. Given one of Tom Sang or Perry Ng are left on the bench, which is a shame given how talented both are, it might be time for one to make the switch over to the left and have a run in the side.

The above, of course, is further proof that not signing a back-up left-back after the departure of Joe Bennett is looking a potentially dangerous decision.

Given one is the captain and the other is still the club's top goalscorer, it is unlikely McCarthy will drop either of Sean Morrison or Aden Flint. If that is the case, they have to drop their defensive line deeper. Too often have Cardiff been caught cold with easy balls around the corner or lofted balls over the top, only for strikers to hare away and score.

If City do insist on playing a higher line, a potentially dynamic combination of Mark McGuinness and Curtis Nelson might be interesting to see. Again, it seems unlikely, though.

A back four does leave room for an extra body in midfield and, boy, do Cardiff need it.

Marlon Pack has been Cardiff's best midfielder so far this season, but he needs two others in there with him because good footballing teams, and West Brom are one, find it so easy to navigate around City's core at the minute.

With Joe Ralls injured, which is a blow for Cardiff, Will Vaulks and Leandro Bacuna both have to buck up their form and start contributing meaningfully in there.

With that in mind, Bacuna's experiment on the left wing has to be nipped in the bud. He has become a lightning rod for criticism from some, but the vast majority of his football of the past two years has either come at right back or on the left wing. Let him do his job in the middle and his athleticism in there will doubtless be an asset.

Giles is nailed on as the left-sided player on the wing, while one of Colwill or Harris must be given the opportunity on the right. They are the only players left in this squad with any pace to burn and Cardiff need more output down the flanks, getting in behind defenders and creating more chances for Kieffer Moore.

Moore, of course, is still the club's kingpin up front. He looks out of sorts ever-so-slightly, but while McCarthy suggested that it might be down to Covid and isolation, one suspects it is probably due to the lack of quality service, which he was getting towards the back end of last season.

McCarthy has always insisted he has strength in depth all over the pitch and was happy to have conducted all of his business so early in the window. But with the need for change more pertinent now than ever, Cardiff look inexperienced and light when it comes to having to alter the system to get back to winning ways.

But while it might be tough for some to see the light in this situation at the minute, there is certainly still quality there and there are positives, too.

Once Moore gets up and running, which he undoubtedly will, that will provide a huge lift. Giles is back fit now and has been a cut above so far. Colwill has scored his first two goals and will be more confident now than he was at the start of the season. James Collins hasn't even scored yet and he is proven at this level - once he gets on the scoresheet he will settle, too.

The landscape can quickly change, we all know that from having watched this division for so long. But changes must be made if the Bluebirds are to kickstart their season once again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: THE CARDIFF CITY TRANSFER GAMBLE THAT IS

Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:31 am

To be fair that’s a great article by Glen Williams and I very rarely agree with some of the stuff he says. And the paragraph on Bacuna being out back in the middle is definitely right. His best games for us have been when he’s played in the centre. I know he gets a lot of stick as the new scapegoat of the team but Bacuna has had great games for us in the middle of the park and I’d like to see that again, because he’s certainly not a winger!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:35 am

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:To be fair that’s a great article by Glen Williams and I very rarely agree with some of the stuff he says. And the paragraph on Bacuna being out back in the middle is definitely right. His best games for us have been when he’s played in the centre. I know he gets a lot of stick as the new scapegoat of the team but Bacuna has had great games for us in the middle of the park and I’d like to see that again, because he’s certainly not a winger!

Glen has done a very honest and well Written article , finally :thumbright:

But then he is now being bombarded by fans to say what’s really happening, No more Dalman articles

Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:41 am

Annis you might be right or wrong about the youngsters but I’m not giving up on them until we try to play some football.I just think we to changer approach to the game,it’s just so negative.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:49 am

theclaw wrote:Annis you might be right or wrong about the youngsters but I’m not giving up on them until we try to play some football.I just think we to changer approach to the game,it’s just so negative.

Two or three look quality :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: And that’s great news :bluebird:

When was the last time any club has suddenly produced all Of a sudden 10 in one season?

I know they say miracles can happen, but surely you can see that players like Mark Harris, Ciaron Brown etc etc would of made it by now in the Championship?
I personally don’t see players like Tom Sang suddenly being Championship quality , we could on and on.
Many of these players will end up in League 1 & League 2.

It’s not just down to Micks awful football , it’s when these lot come up against better opposition they can’t cope.

The proof is their not one point from a team that’s outside bottom 7.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:54 am

theclaw wrote:Annis you might be right or wrong about the youngsters but I’m not giving up on them until we try to play some football.I just think we to changer approach to the game,it’s just so negative.

Me too trouble is I can't see us trying to plays much football until MM goes. He simply isn't flexible enough to change the way we play and wouldn't want to anyway.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:05 am

Our transfer policy wasn't a 'gamble' it was a necessity. We lost £12m according to the last accounts which is a whisker away from the £13m maximum allowed by Profit and Sustainability (aka FFP) Rules.

During that period we were in receipt of £36m in parachute payments which have now ended. Therefore we have to make cuts in our outgoings of at least £36m in order to comply with P&S/FFP rules or we will face repeated points deductions until we do.

Therefore we had no option but to reshape the squad by relying on free transfers and promoting academy players in order to balance the books. Trying to portray this policy as some kind of mismanagement by the owners/board members is misleading and a bit dishonest.

However, what the above article does get right is the observation that we are not getting the best out of the players we have. As already mentioned by Bluebird in Jackland Bacuna is being totally wasted in his current position. Glen Williams is also correct in identifying the problem of playing slow central defenders in a high line.

Personally I would play Sang on the right wing with Giles on the left. Both are capable of supplying quality crosses for KM.

What we can all agree on is the present playing system and personnel selection is not working and something needs to change pretty dam soon.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:24 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Our transfer policy wasn't a 'gamble' it was a necessity. We lost £12m according to the last accounts which is a whisker away from the £13m maximum allowed by Profit and Sustainability (aka FFP) Rules.

During that period we were in receipt of £36m in parachute payments which have now ended. Therefore we have to make cuts in our outgoings of at least £36m in order to comply with P&S/FFP rules or we will face repeated points deductions until we do.

Therefore we had no option but to reshape the squad by relying on free transfers and promoting academy players in order to balance the books. Trying to portray this policy as some kind of mismanagement by the owners/board members is misleading and a bit dishonest.

However, what the above article does get right is the observation that we are not getting the best out of the players we have. As already mentioned by Bluebird in Jackland Bacuna is being totally wasted in his current position. Glen Williams is also correct in identifying the problem of playing slow central defenders in a high line.

Personally I would play Sang on the right wing with Giles on the left. Both are capable of supplying quality crosses for KM.

What we can all agree on is the present playing system and personnel selection is not working and something needs to change pretty dam soon.

Glen Willians headlines not mine.

We had three years of good parachute payments coming in and money once again not used wisely and now we have nothing coming in, that’s the truth and reality.

Where we are

Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:24 am

Thats a decent article but the truth is that we`re trying to make something out of nothing.
Four things everybody knows about this team is
The midfield is uncreative and packed full of the same players added to by Wintle who was immediately sent out on loan
Going forward we have apart from Giles a loan player we have absolutely no pace and consequently don`t look like scoring from open play and have`nt done so at all in the first half
The youngsters some might make it but most of them won`t and the reason why we`re playing most of them is because theyre cheap.
The bench is a joke, offers no threat and no opportunity to change things round.

We`ve got here because of the committee. Two seasons ago we were blessed with Pace out wide Hoillet, Mendez Laing, Harris and Murphy. Now we`ve got Giles on loan and thats it , who thought of that?
The midfield the same old same old no pace, backwards and sideways. A poor transfer policy of permanent players has left us look better than we are plastered by loan players like Wilson and Ojo. Again no long term policy.
hence the bench being what it is.
The committee need to quickly address what we need out wide and in midfield next year half this team will leave. There are more free agents than ever now so the choice should be pretty wide. Tomlin and Vassell would have made a difference but again two crocks signed. Went for Marley Watkins scored two goals then rejected ? Why have him in the first place ? Seems all disjointed and amatuerish and we are seeing the results on the pitch.
West Brom and Reading up next and two defeats could see McCarthy gone. To be replaced by whom , the club has tried young managers Harris, Solsjaer,Trollope, old heads Slade, McCarthy. Its not the managers who are at fault its the core of the club that lurch from crisis to crisis that is. Short, medium and long term planning is needed , we won`t get it though from this set up.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:36 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:Our transfer policy wasn't a 'gamble' it was a necessity. We lost £12m according to the last accounts which is a whisker away from the £13m maximum allowed by Profit and Sustainability (aka FFP) Rules.

We had three years of good parachute payments coming in and money once again not used wisely and now we have nothing coming in, that’s the truth and reality.

No Annis we had TWO years of parachute payments as we only stayed in the PL for one season hence we didn't qualify for the third year.

Yes the truth is we don't have Parachute Payments coming in anymore hence we need to cut our costs. Do you think that the club are wrong to do this to comply with P&S/FFP?

The article was written by Glen Williams but you have constantly moaned the club has played too many young players. If these players hadn't been used who would you have played instead?

Please remember we can't spend money we don't have even if Vincent Tan did find an extra £100m down the back of his sofa it would make no difference. So how would we fund replacements for the academy players without spending money we don't have?

Re: Where we are

Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:44 am

biglad6 wrote:Thats a decent article but the truth is that we`re trying to make something out of nothing.
Four things everybody knows about this team is
The midfield is uncreative and packed full of the same players added to by Wintle who was immediately sent out on loan
Going forward we have apart from Giles a loan player we have absolutely no pace and consequently don`t look like scoring from open play and have`nt done so at all in the first half
The youngsters some might make it but most of them won`t and the reason why we`re playing most of them is because theyre cheap.
The bench is a joke, offers no threat and no opportunity to change things round.

We`ve got here because of the committee. Two seasons ago we were blessed with Pace out wide Hoillet, Mendez Laing, Harris and Murphy. Now we`ve got Giles on loan and thats it , who thought of that?
The midfield the same old same old no pace, backwards and sideways. A poor transfer policy of permanent players has left us look better than we are plastered by loan players like Wilson and Ojo. Again no long term policy.
hence the bench being what it is.
The committee need to quickly address what we need out wide and in midfield next year half this team will leave. There are more free agents than ever now so the choice should be pretty wide. Tomlin and Vassell would have made a difference but again two crocks signed. Went for Marley Watkins scored two goals then rejected ? Why have him in the first place ? Seems all disjointed and amatuerish and we are seeing the results on the pitch.
West Brom and Reading up next and two defeats could see McCarthy gone. To be replaced by whom , the club has tried young managers Harris, Solsjaer,Trollope, old heads Slade, McCarthy. Its not the managers who are at fault its the core of the club that lurch from crisis to crisis that is. Short, medium and long term planning is needed , we won`t get it though from this set up.

Addressing wing positions and midfield now will cost money we don't have. I would suggest that the club DOES have a medium to long term plan which is to make this club self sufficient and balance the books.

What they definitely must not do is throw money we don't have on journeymen free agents or panic buys. Our current problems can be addressed by the manager tweaking his tactics and picking square pegs in square holes rather than using defensive midfielders as wingers and having 3 slow centre backs playing a high line for starters.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:21 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

No Annis we had TWO years of parachute payments as we only stayed in the PL for one season hence we didn't qualify for the third year.

Yes the truth is we don't have Parachute Payments coming in anymore hence we need to cut our costs. Do you think that the club are wrong to do this to comply with P&S/FFP?

The article was written by Glen Williams but you have constantly moaned the club has played too many young players. If these players hadn't been used who would you have played instead?

Please remember we can't spend money we don't have even if Vincent Tan did find an extra £100m down the back of his sofa it would make no difference. So how would we fund replacements for the academy players without spending money we don't have?

Tony,

I will stand by this Tan has wasted £mill upon in £mill on rebrand, lost all court cases, wasted on so many duff players, nearly as many managers as his 11 yr ownership, 6 CEO ‘s etc etc and a badly run club.

And you know that’s all true.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:24 pm

I agree Tan as wasted money , on all the things you mentioned . Put in simplistic terms its his money to waste , CCFC would not be where we are today , without him . No taxmen after us , no threat of going bust . Tan is keeping our heads above water , and as people have said previously he doesnt know a lot about football , he's not even a fan of CCFC , but he's a bloody good supporter (financially ) !!!!

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:41 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Tony,

I will stand by this Tan has wasted £mill upon in £mill on rebrand, lost all court cases, wasted on so many duff players, nearly as many managers as his 11 yr ownership, 6 CEO ‘s etc etc and a badly run club.

I agree the rebrand was a mistake, we have bought some awful players (on the recommendation of the managers) and there have been court cases.

But all that is retrospective.

My question to you is what should the club do with regard to the future? Should we cost cut to make up for the loss of parachute payments or should Vincent Tan break P&S/FFP rules and sign more players with money we don't have and therefore face a points deduction?

Personally I think the club have made the correct decision all facts considered. Breaking P&S/FFP is not an option so cutting costs and playing academy players is the only way ahead.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:59 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Tony,

I agree the rebrand was a mistake, we have bought some awful players (on the recommendation of the managers) and there have been court cases.

My question to you is what should the club do with regard to the future? Should we cost cut to make up for the loss of parachute payments or should Vincent Tan break P&S/FFP rules and sign more players with money we don't have and therefore face a points deduction?

Personally I think the club have made the correct decision all facts considered. Breaking P&S/FFP is not an option so cutting costs and playing academy players is the only way ahead.

What should the owners do?

My view cut their losses and sell at fair price.

I know 100% what happened with the last two offers / deals.

The American group pulled out after see the books etc

And the other group Tan stopped due to his hatred.

That’s all I can say.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:30 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Tony,

That’s all I can say.

To be fair i'm guessing there aren't many clubs the American's would have been happy with after seeing the books. Any investor would have to be made to invest in a football club. And hatred is a strong emotion and there aren't many of us who would be prepared sell to our enemies if we didn't have to sell

Out of interest Annis, would you have been happy with either buyer in terms of them being able to make a success of things?

Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:43 am

Forever Blue wrote:

That’s all I can say.

OK say the club is sold what do the next owners do about our financial situation? They will inherit the same problems i.e. we have to cut costs after losing £36m in parachute payments and we have to keep our losses below £13m per season.

Selling the club is not a silver bullet that will solve our problems. So back to square one how would YOU suggest the current or possible future owners should deal with the predicament we are in. Should we spend money we haven't got and get a points deduction or should we find a way to balance the books as the current owners are doing?

Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:51 am

bluelover wrote:
To be fair i'm guessing there aren't many clubs the American's would have been happy with after seeing the books. Any investor would have to be made to invest in a football club. And hatred is a strong emotion and there aren't many of us who would be prepared sell to our enemies if we didn't have to sell

Out of interest Annis, would you have been happy with either buyer in terms of them being able to make a success of things?

Totally agree.

Any perspective buyer would first need to cough up a very large purchase price (guess £70m) and might also have to pay off our historical debt. On top of that they would also have to operate within the same restrictions the present owners have to i.e. they would need to cut costs due to the loss of £36m in parachute payments and must keep operating losses under £13m per season.

Frankly I can't understand why anyone would want to take us on.