Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Players out of contract who would you keep?

Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:43 am

These are the players out of contract next summer.. who would you keep and offer an extension?

Alex Smithies
Ciaron Brown
Josh Murphy (technically already gone)
sean morrison
aden flint
marlon pack
will vaulks
joe ralls
lee tomlin
issac vassell

i would 100% let tomlin, smithies, brown, murphy, vassell go

we really need a change in our slow hoofball defence.

wouldn't be surprised to see vaulks go

Re: Players out of contract who would you keep?

Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:49 am

BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:These are the players out of contract next summer.. who would you keep and offer an extension?

Alex Smithies
Ciaron Brown
sean morrison
aden flint
marlon pack
will vaulks
joe ralls
lee tomlin
issac vassell

The big question is which players will want to stay? None of the players looked happy last night, It's a frightening prospect but the fact is we could lose all those players next summer. With Tan hell bent on bringing the wage bill down that's a huge chunk of the hig earners gone in one fell swoop!

Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:51 am

I doubt we will keep any of them 10 as they would have to be offered alot lower wages and if other clubs have offered them pre contracts on more than we may offer they be gone for sure. Replaced with youngsters and the odd freebie as we are clearly going down that route then the real moaning will start on here if that don't work out results wise next season. I'm only guessing as we are told is going to be cost cutting galore as it is today. :bluescarf:

Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:12 am

Ralls is the only one who would get a comparable contract IMO

Morrison will be closer to 32 at the start of next season than 31
Flint will be 33
Marlon Pack will be a very slow 31 year old
Even Ralls will be nearly 29 at the start of next season

The thought of those players not starting next season doesn't concern me at all. It's who is recruiting their replacements that does.

They are all playing for their contracts so I don't think they have downed tools. Just Mick is setting us up to fail.

Professional football is a brutal business. It has great riches, but it is cutthroat and these players no longer have an asset value and need to have contracts that reflect the current climate

Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:38 am

Neokutai wrote:
BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:These are the players out of contract next summer.. who would you keep and offer an extension?

Alex Smithies
Ciaron Brown
sean morrison
aden flint
marlon pack
will vaulks
joe ralls
lee tomlin
issac vassell

The big question is which players will want to stay? None of the players looked happy last night, It's a frightening prospect but the fact is we could lose all those players next summer. With Tan hell bent on bringing the wage bill down that's a huge chunk of the hig earners gone in one fell swoop!

Yes but if get new manager he will be able to get in players just as good who play better passing football at less cost than what the present players like Morrison cost so automatically making savings ... players wage demands will not be as great as previously so plenty of room for negotiations.

Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:46 pm

None of them. Clear out needed.

Philips
NG
Paddy
Other
Bagan

Little
Other
Bacona

Collwil
New Striker
New winger

Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:58 pm

BigBearBlue1974 wrote:None of them. Clear out needed.

Philips
NG
Paddy
Other
Bagan

Little
Other
Bacona

Collwil
New Striker
New winger

As the gaps in that team are likely to be filled by youth players or free transfers from lower league clubs that team would struggle in League One.

Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:07 am

davids wrote:
BigBearBlue1974 wrote:None of them. Clear out needed.

Philips
NG
Paddy
Other
Bagan

Little
Other
Bacona

Collwil
New Striker
New winger

As the gaps in that team are likely to be filled by youth players or free transfers from lower league clubs that team would struggle in League One.

Yep then people will have something to really moan about no doubt if we don't win 5 on the spin every 6 games. The club will never win, manager or players :lol:
You can't cost cut galore let 22 players go within 18 months which is around what it will be and expect better results along with millions of pounds signings but that's what our fans expect or the doom starts.

Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:36 am

pembroke allan wrote:Yes but if get new manager he will be able to get in players just as good who play better passing football at less cost than what the present players like Morrison cost so automatically making savings ... players wage demands will not be as great as previously so plenty of room for negotiations.

That's a big "IF" there mate, As another poster said it'll likely be we lose all the high earners and start promoting the u23's.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:13 am

I think we could be in for a rough season or two. No money is going to be pumped in for players by Tan by the looks of it. Wouldn’t be so bad if it was entertaining to watch. Anyone else get bored after watching 10 minutes of lumping it forward??

Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:18 am

Alex Smithies - I'm a big fan but probably don't need two first team keepers, he should be playing somewhere
Ciaron Brown - definitely keep, young and will improve
Josh Murphy (technically already gone) - never did much for us anyway
sean morrison - I would keep one of Morrison & Flint, both are great but are too similar. Morrison is younger and I think better so keep him
aden flint - as above
marlon pack - I would keep, he can play on the ground and is a leader, will be useful if we change styles
will vaulks - I would keep as might have resale value, also a different option in midfield
joe ralls - keep as a good footballer and still young-ish
lee tomlin - let go as always injured
issac vassell - let go as always injured

Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:31 am

none of them, ship them out :old:

and a few others

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:40 pm

Flint Pack and Ralls depending upon wages. Wouldn’t really shed a tear if they all went though tbh.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:19 pm

Only
Smithies
Brown
Pack
Ralls

All the others need to move on really especially Tomlin.
As much as he did make wonderful memories I think its time for Mozza to go.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:22 pm

Neokutai wrote:

Alex Smithies
Ciaron Brown
sean morrison
aden flint
marlon pack
will vaulks
joe ralls
lee tomlin
issac vassell

I think this is the bigger question...! :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:26 pm

I think we have to work within a budget to stay FFP compliant and currently our budget is taken up by high earners with little or no return. That budget is probably quite high.

The year Malky took over and we had loads of loan players and basically had to start afresh albeit around a good spine of DJ signings we were able to get a lot of good free transfers (Gunnarrson the most notable). Play offs next year and a base to work from.

Next year we could be pretty good and have pick of the free transfers when all that money is off the wage bill.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:58 pm

All depends who the manager is and what his football philosophy is, think next season will be a big clearout and the team built around the youngsters, how that will pan out I have no idea. I think we have a few years of of non directional football and if we dont buck up maybe a relegation battle.

But those who have been on the Cardiff City crazy train for a number of years will know we blow hot and cold. One minute brilliant the next totally shocking and I personally cannot see that changing anytime soon. When you have a chairman who was interested in buying another club not so long back and he is still our chairman it does not inspire confidence in what they are doing day to day.

Now I am no mathematician but yes VT may be putting 3 million a month in but how do the supporters put in every month to the revenue stream. Knowing Cardiff we will win Saturday and beat the Jacks and everything will be all rosy again :ayatollah: :bluebird: :old:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:35 pm

It'll be a similar situation to when Malky Mackay joined as manager in the 2011-2012 season, We lost a lot of players due to releases and expired contracts after the Dave Jones era and Mackay was given the remit of building up the squad and gaining promotion. We signed the likes of Aron Gunnarsson, Don Cowie, Craig Conway, Joe Mason, Ben Turner, Kenny Miller etc for very little money. A blank slate is never a bad thing but I hope that Mick McCarthy leaves after this season after securing Championship status and someone progressive is brought in. Someone who can find these gems that we've had in the past and also progress the club and its ambitions.