Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

For me this is the worst

Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:20 pm

Thankfully, as I live in Wigan, I was not one of the fans inside the stadium last night. However, I did watch the game on Sky.

The following line, from Wales Online, says it all:

"Cardiff City boss Mick McCarthy said he opted to play five centre-backs against West Brom because his side was in desperate need of a clean sheet".

In other words, we went into the game without any intention of scoring or winning the game

In my view any manager who takes this view shouldn't be in any way associated with our club.

Like most of us, I don't mind losing games. It happens. But not even trying to win is a disgrace.

Several years ago I remember being one of the Clubs Photographers when we lost 6-2 at home to Liverpool. Yes it was a heavy defeat and yes they did score 6 - but you know what - In that game, we tried. We made an effort. We showed the supporters that their hard-earned money was worth it - and because we tried we scored two goals.

And to be honest I don't blame the players last night.

If I were a professional footballer I wouldn't want to play for a clueless manager who thought so little of the team's ability that he thought it appropriate to play with 5 Central Defenders.

And I know some have criticised Kieffer at the end of the game. Maybe he was thinking exactly the same as us.

Re: For me this is the worst

Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:57 pm

Yep, the Players have given up on the Manager. The fans have given up on both, and Tan on all three.

Re: For me this is the worst

Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:53 pm

'In other words, we went into the game without any intention of scoring or winning the game'

Although I agree the selection was far too defensive I think you are reading something in the quotes that isn't there, I don't think we had no intention of winning (though we certainly played like it).