Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Worst performance of all time

Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:07 pm

After last night perhaps we should discuss if our performance was the worst you have ever seen as a Cardiff fan and, if not, what was worse?

Before last night the worst performance I have seen was Rotherham home around new year 2014/15 under Slade, a game devoid of any quality whatsoever with 0-0 the result. At least Rotherham were just as bad. Last night we were utterly dreadful, a terrible style of play executed terribly but unfortunately for us WBA were class and the end result was 0-4.

Does anyone remember worse games?

Re: Worst performance of all time

Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:26 pm

Burton away under Trollope springs to mind. Although I’m not sure if the toxic atmosphere from that day has amplified the poor performance in my mind.

Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:46 pm

Maidstone home New Year’s Day will take some beating

Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:47 pm

Canton Kev wrote:Burton away under Trollope springs to mind. Although I’m not sure if the toxic atmosphere from that day has amplified the poor performance in my mind.

That game got him the sack as well I believe. Slade lasted another 18 months after the Rotherham game and we did end up chasing playoffs in 15/16, would be well happy if that was the result this season if MM stays. I suspect this is heading the Trollope direction rather than the Slade one though.

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:04 pm

Losing 7-2 at home to Cambridge has to be up there. 5 nil away to Preston for a 12pm kick off on new year's day was bad too. Ian Rogerson came on as a sub and subbed again as he was that bad

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:46 pm

Darlington away in 1986 when Durban was our manager and we lost 4-1 is was terrible like so many games that season but having travelled so far the lack of basic effort was sickening. It got worse later that season losing 5-0 away at Bolton but as bad as we were we NEVER played 5 CB in one game together with 3 holding midfield players.

Durban was a rubbish manager but he did set up to at least try to win. The fact that we were shite made it very very difficult to win but Durban never waved the white flag before a ball was kicked like MM did last night.

For me unforgiveable from MM.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:21 pm

In 1977, we were hit for 6 in two successive games over Christmas. The season after Luton hit us for 7. As already mentioned, Maidstone fired 6 past us, and Cambridge 8.

The Durban years were the worst though. Closely followed by the Hibbit/Osmon reign. What a wierd set up that was!

Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:21 pm

boyo1927 wrote:Losing 7-2 at home to Cambridge has to be up there. 5 nil away to Preston for a 12pm kick off on new year's day was bad too. Ian Rogerson came on as a sub and subbed again as he was that bad

I thought Cambridge scored 8 against us?

Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:29 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:Losing 7-2 at home to Cambridge has to be up there. 5 nil away to Preston for a 12pm kick off on new year's day was bad too. Ian Rogerson came on as a sub and subbed again as he was that bad

Definitely 7 mate. The ref was the bald guy who always gave us nothing. Can't remember his name but sure someone will

Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:38 pm

mjw6150 wrote:
Canton Kev wrote:Burton away under Trollope springs to mind. Although I’m not sure if the toxic atmosphere from that day has amplified the poor performance in my mind.

That game got him the sack as well I believe. Slade lasted another 18 months after the Rotherham game and we did end up chasing playoffs in 15/16, would be well happy if that was the result this season if MM stays. I suspect this is heading the Trollope direction rather than the Slade one though.

Just checked and you’re right, that was his last game for us. Then the club appointed Warnock and the rest is history :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

So a small smidgen of thanks to Trollope for being bad enough to be sacked when Warnock was still available at the time :laughing6:

Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:37 pm

boyo1927 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:

Definitely 7 mate. The ref was the bald guy who always gave us nothing. Can't remember his name but sure someone will

Of course, the famous Barry Knight!

Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:42 pm

theclaw wrote:Maidstone home New Year’s Day will take some beating

Ha - I remember that one - Old Div 4. 0-5 on a bleak New Year’s Day 92 :o I’m sure our crowd were chanting “we want 6” :lol:

Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:33 pm

Of late when we lost 6-0 at Preston. We missed a penalty and scored a cracking own goal.

Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:51 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:

Of course, the famous Barry Knight!

That's him notoriously gave us nothing every game

Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:01 pm

boyo1927 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:

Hard to defend a 7-2 defeat but wasn't that the last game of the season and we had just played something like 7 games in 15 days avoiding relegation the game before? Players were exhausted and just wanted to get the season over. Everything Cambridge hit that day went in. Still pretty poor result though.

Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:22 pm

mjw6150 wrote:After last night perhaps we should discuss if our performance was the worst you have ever seen as a Cardiff fan and, if not, what was worse?

Before last night the worst performance I have seen was Rotherham home around new year 2014/15 under Slade, a game devoid of any quality whatsoever with 0-0 the result. At least Rotherham were just as bad. Last night we were utterly dreadful, a terrible style of play executed terribly but unfortunately for us WBA were class and the end result was 0-4.

I'd certainly say that Tuesday was up there with the worst City performances I've ever seen at Championship/Div 1 level.

Having said that, I'm an old git that has followed them since 1971 and, believe me, some seasons in the 80s/90s we didn't even get as good as Tuesday even in the old Div 3 and Div 4 :oops: :roll: :lol:

Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:02 pm

85/86 was the worst.. a 1-3 defeat by Bristol City sticks out, mainly because it was them. But that season stank

Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:13 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:

Hard to defend a 7-2 defeat but wasn't that the last game of the season and we had just played something like 7 games in 15 days avoiding relegation the game before? Players were exhausted and just wanted to get the season over. Everything Cambridge hit that day went in. Still pretty poor result though.

Great memory far too long ago for me to remember that detail. Just remember Bob bank laughing as goals went in.

Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:29 pm

boyo1927 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:

Brian Stevens (from Stroud)...? :?:

He used to make my heart sink when I saw his name as referee on the team sheet... :cry:

Ann odd fact about Brian was that he officiated well in excess of 3000+ games, was given an extra 5 years grace on the Football League (retirement was 47 but he went on until 52) before he continued in thr lower leagues and (reluctantly) retired from refereeing at the grand old age of 80 years...! :shock: :clap:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:40 am

I’ve watched City lose 7-1 away to Luton, 6-1 away to Port Vale , hammered at home to Cambridge etc etc

These are by NO way the worst times :bluebird: :bluebird:

try 9 years in League 4 and losing to Stockport County who were bottom and we go 2nd from bottom

Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:50 am

Forever Blue wrote:I’ve watched City lose 7-1 away to Luton, 6-1 away to Port Vale , hammered at home to Cambridge etc etc

try 9 years in League 4 and losing to Stockport County who were bottom and we go 2nd from bottom

:thumbright: :roll: those were the days ................... :old: :lol:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:52 am

piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I’ve watched City lose 7-1 away to Luton, 6-1 away to Port Vale , hammered at home to Cambridge etc etc

But they were bad, but we enjoyed those days and fans were together United :bluebird: :bluebird:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:16 am

boyo1927 wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:

Great memory far too long ago for me to remember that detail. Just remember Bob bank laughing as goals went in.

Think it would have been late eighties, early nineties. And yet I cant remember what i did last week!

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:31 am

What’s the lowest we have ever finished?

Is it third from bottom of division 4? I remember that the year we had loads of draws but can’t remember if that was the lowest ever.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:00 am

maccydee wrote:What’s the lowest we have ever finished?

Is it third from bottom of division 4? I remember that the year we had loads of draws but can’t remember if that was the lowest ever.

23 draws in 46 games in 1997/98. I think Swansea were 20th and we were 21st that year. How times have changed.

Coincidentally, Hartlepool also drew 23 of 46 games as well that year.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:00 am

piledriver64 wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:After last night perhaps we should discuss if our performance was the worst you have ever seen as a Cardiff fan and, if not, what was worse?

I'd certainly say that Tuesday was up there with the worst City performances I've ever seen at Championship/Div 1 level.

Having said that, I'm an old git that has followed them since 1971 and, believe me, some seasons in the 80s/90s we didn't even get as good as Tuesday even in the old Div 3 and Div 4 :oops: :roll: :lol:

My first game was 1997 and then our season tickets started in 2002/03 so I was lucky enough to miss some of the worst times :lol:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:01 am

I am lucky enough to have missed some of the worst times but all I'll say is wherever we end up in the future, I'll still be supporting as avidly as I do now :bluescarf:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:11 am

Forever Blue wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

But they were bad, but we enjoyed those days and fans were together United :bluebird: :bluebird:

Yes, enjoyed the days but not sure I could ever admit to enjoying the football back then :lol: :lol: