Have we ever really supported good football?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby maccydee » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:37 pm

Last time I remember it long term was under DJ and he used to get so much stick for a variety of reasons. His teams played really good football but were quite soft when it wasn’t going our way. Ole tried to install that as did Trollope and neither of them had much success. We don’t really have the patience I think.

Every manager since then has played functional football. Must be a reason for this.

Any ideas why we know something different to what Malky, Warnock, Harris and McCarthy know?
maccydee

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Have we ever really supported good football?

Postby piledriver64 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:08 pm

maccydee wrote:Last time I remember it long term was under DJ and he used to get so much stick for a variety of reasons. His teams played really good football but were quite soft when it wasn’t going our way. Ole tried to install that as did Trollope and neither of them had much success. We don’t really have the patience I think.

Every manager since then has played functional football. Must be a reason for this.

Any ideas why we know something different to what Malky, Warnock, Harris and McCarthy know?

I think you make a very good point.

To be honest the football under DJ was up there with the very best I've seen in 50 years supporting this lot.

But I know there were plenty on here that didn't like DJ (understandably) but I still say that if we had beaten Blackpool that team had a very real chance of staying in the Prem for a good few seasons. Unlike the Mackay and Warnock promotion teams that simply needed too many additions to keep up the spirit and momentum.

I loved both promotion years.

But Mackay played truly awful, boring football but as it's the first time we got up, those memories will live long in my memory, including doing virtually every away game too. It was a great experience if not great football.

Warnock was different, to be fair, whilst his football was basic and direct there was a degree of excitement because of us just throwing it into the box !! Couple that with the togetherness of the squad that spilled over into the crowd and that was some ride :bluebird: But nobody would claim it was great football.

At the moment the Warnock's football was like Barcelona with Messi compared :roll: :lol: to McCarthy's idea of the "beautiful" game.
piledriver64

Postby JJ1927 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:34 pm

maccydee wrote:Last time I remember it long term was under DJ and he used to get so much stick for a variety of reasons. His teams played really good football but were quite soft when it wasn’t going our way. Ole tried to install that as did Trollope and neither of them had much success. We don’t really have the patience I think.

Warnock played some good football in the first half of the season that we got promoted. It was when we lost 4 games on the bounce over Christmas that he changed the style. And it worked.
JJ1927

Postby cwmbachbluebird » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:28 pm

Dave Jones football on times was quality to watch. Under Malky it was not that good but it was interesting on the eye because you could see the energy and constant pressing. Game plan there to see. NW the same.

Then NH shite, now MM lost for words. Wheels have truly come off.
Eddie Mays Barmy Army
R.I.P Speedo...Wales forever.
cwmbachbluebird

Postby llan bluebird » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:21 am

I don't want a 100 passes. If i had to watch Man City or Liverpool I would watch Liverpool every time, they are quite direct, its just not aimless hit and hope stuff, but there are a lot of long "passes".

Mckay was in the Mourhino school of % anti football, done well its effective but boring, its ship has sailed as teams analyze the shit out of everything nowadays and the transition is where it is all about, even with Whitts and Gunnar in midfeild we gave the ball away to many times with Turner diagonal punts

Ole was a dreamer not set up for the championship

Slade was a relic journeyman with far better players than Mick has

Trollop was a theorist without the man management skills required for a club like ours

Warnock played a cheaper version of Liverpool 433 get it forward quickly with pace or skill, play in the last third

Mick loooks like lLade without the players
llan bluebird

Postby mjw6150 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:15 am

If we sacked MM and appointed a manager known for playing attractive football we would turn on them quickly if the results did not improve. I am not sure many of the playing staff are adequate for an attractive style of play (some would be) but I'd loved to be proved wrong.
mjw6150

Return to General Chat