Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘lack of fight 'alarming' Says Former Cardiff City

Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:25 am

Gabbidon says lack of fight 'alarming'

Former Cardiff City defender Danny Gabbidon has said he finds the lack of fight in this current side "alarming".

The Bluebirds have rolled over and surrendered in the last two matches, losing 5-1 against Blackburn before getting hammered 4-0 at home by West Brom.

There are problems at both ends of the pitch at the minute, with goals hard to come by for Cardiff but all too easy for the opposition, but Gabbidon believes that, aside from all the talk of tactics and selection, the team's attitude is seemingly highlighting the pressure under which Mick McCarthy finds himself.

"It's the basics that Cardiff were doing quite well last season under Mick and that's why they were getting results," he told the BBC.

"And they had someone up front in Kieffer Moore who was sticking the ball in the back of the net.

"But I'm looking at this Cardiff City team now and they're not even doing the basics right and you've got no chance of winning any game if you're not going to work for your team-mate, if you're not going to be organised, if you're not going to try and put up a fight.

"I'm not seeing any fight from this Cardiff City team - that's what's alarming - and when you get to that stage as a manager you are under pressure.

"Mick'll know he's under pressure now. The last three or four performances have been nowhere near good enough and he will know that the buck stops with him now.

"There's a lot of issues going on with this Cardiff City team and it's all seemed to have come in the last four or five games really, because I thought the start of the season wasn't too bad.

"I wouldn't say they were playing brilliantly, but they got a few results at the start of the season, a good comeback against Nottingham Forest, so you're thinking, 'okay the fight and the spirit, all those things are still there'.

"He's [McCarthy] going to have to use all his experience now and find out what the problem is with these players otherwise he's going to be gone. It's as simple as that.

"But I still think these players can play a lot better."

Re: ‘lack of fight 'alarming' Says Former Cardiff City

Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:40 am

Once on the pitch any lack of fight is all the players fault Even if the team set up is wrong the players need to put in an effort and fight for everything

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:05 am

The same as the last couple of games under Harris' tenure.Perhaps the board has already made a move to get someone new in and another no show against Reading will be his last match in charge.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:42 pm

Abergavenny wrote:Once on the pitch any lack of fight is all the players fault Even if the team set up is wrong the players need to put in an effort and fight for everything

Which suggests the players are trying to get rid of MM. Be interesting to see what sort of performance they put up against Reading. They know full well if they no show against Swansea the fans will be enraged.