Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Mick McCarthy proud but says 'out of my control' "

Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:01 pm

'I know the question you're asking me' - Mick McCarthy addresses mounting pressure on his Cardiff City future

The Bluebirds fell to their fifth successive defeat at the hands of Reading, which has seen pressure mount on manager Mick McCarthy

By Glen Williams

Saturday 2nd October

Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy said he can only focus on what he and his players do on the pitch and the decision over his future lies in the hands of others.

The Bluebirds suffered their fifth successive defeat in the league after Junior Hoilett scored the only goal in Reading's 1-0 win at Cardiff City Stadium.

It comes after McCarthy revealed that he had spoken with both chairman Mehmet Dalman and chief executive Ken Choo following Tuesday's hammering by West Brom, stating the board was fully behind him in trying to turn around this run of dismal results.

And when asked if he believed he still has the backing after this latest defeat, he replied: "Look, I know the question you're asking me, but that's not in my control.

"I can only control what I do on the football pitch and what the team does.

"I thought it was good today and I was really proud of it. I'm just disappointed with the result.

"So all those other things, that's for other people [to decide], not me."

The frustrating thing for McCarthy is that his side utterly dominated the game against the Royals on Saturday afternoon, something which cannot be said for any of their recent performances.

They had 25 shots in comparison to Reading's two but somehow could not put the ball into the back of the net. It left a bitter taste in the manager's mouth.

"I've no idea how we didn't get a result out of it, because it's the best performance we have had in weeks," he added.

"There were 25 goal attempts against two. It's bitterly, bitterly disappointing.

"But I was really proud of the performance today."

Earlier in the week, McCarthy fielded questions over whether he had lost the players' confidence following two miserable results against Blackburn Rovers and West Brom.

However, he believes Saturday's showing is proof that they are right behind him and what he is still trying to do.

"On Tuesday night everyone starts asking, 'Have you lost the dressing room?'" McCarthy said.

"Well I think that shows from that performance, no, I certainly haven't. That performance shows that we can get a response and play as well as we did.

"That decision [about my future] is not up to me. I just keep coming in and trying to get the best out of the players and the best out of myself.

"Me and TC will try our best to continue to do that."

One big difference on Saturday was the atmosphere inside the stadium.

The Bluebirds supporters were vociferous in their support of the team, even in the dying minutes when they were searching high and low for an equaliser.

It is a stark contrast to noise which came from a section of supporters who joined in with the 'You're getting sacked in the morning' chants on Tuesday evening.

And McCarthy was grateful for the fans' contributions during what was yet another difficult defeat to take.

"They were excellent today," McCarthy said.

"To be fair, they didn't turn on the team on Tuesday. Their anger was at me and I'm cool with that, I don't turn on the players because that doesn't help.

"They were brilliant today, absolutely fantastic. They stayed until the end.

"They deserved something out of that game as much as we did."

Re: " Mick McCarthy proud but says 'out of my control' "

Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:04 pm

Sounds like he knows he’s on his way .

Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:17 pm

We played the team with the 2nd worst away record in the Championship and still not got a pint from a team above the bottom 7

7 defeats from our last 8 games and today against a very poor Reading side at Cardiff we could not score and lost again, for me not good enough.

Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:20 pm

Forever Blue wrote:We played the team with the 2nd worst away record in the Championship and still not got a pint from a team above the bottom 7

7 defeats from our last 8 games and today against a very poor Reading side at Cardiff we could not score and lost again, for me not good enough.

Have to agree Annis. It was better and a lot better to watch but it’s a results business.
I’d say to get Morrison in now til end of season.