Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: How many of you City detractors actually watch games liv

Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:17 pm

stickywicket wrote:Pembroke Al. We could be related.
My great Nan was from Steynton.

Lol unfortunately born in llanrumney

Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:33 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
stickywicket wrote:I travel from Cwmbran that's a round trip of not far off 40 miles.
After the WBA game we drove up to the M4 only to find it was closed.
Cardiff based don't know how lucky they are..
City fans have always been fickle.
I remember the, Hereford game when there was 35000
on a Tuesday on the Saturday home against Swindon 18000

Yes I got caught out by that dropped daughter off st park and ride quick hop onto m4 but had to go all way to manor way coryton ..... oh to be home 30mins after game :old:

It’s maddening for me too Al, it can sometimes take me 15 minutes to get home!

Seriously though, I don’t know whether or admire you people who travel so far or just think you must be mad. Especially recently.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:00 pm

You’d be better off leaving M4 at Bridgend al.. nicer drive.
coming from the east use Bute tunnel, or come off at the Docks, through Butetown and park in Grange

Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:54 pm

I go every week have done for years don’t go away every week but I rarely miss a home game live in port Talbot go on the train on Saturdays car for midweek games for the West Bromwich game didn’t leave work until 5.30 went home quick shower food and back through the door by 6.25 drove up in pouring rain sixty mile round trip and got to the game on time I’ve been doing it for years me and my to mates then we went a goal down in six minutes and you think all that effort but that’s following city for you

Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:02 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:I go every week have done for years don’t go away every week but I rarely miss a home game live in port Talbot go on the train on Saturdays car for midweek games for the West Bromwich game didn’t leave work until 5.30 went home quick shower food and back through the door by 6.25 drove up in pouring rain sixty mile round trip and got to the game on time I’ve been doing it for years me and my to mates then we went a goal down in six minutes and you think all that effort but that’s following city for you

Great post, fella. That's what being a Bluebird is all about! :clap:

Others, as we have read, have genuine reasons they cannot do similar and it doesn't make them lesser supporters

'Not being arsed...' as one or two have put on this thread in not amongst them

Being a Bluebird is a state of mind and is a true state of attrition, as those who have been here for many years before Sam raised our profile and expectations will attest :thumbright:

Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:17 pm

Sven wrote:
cardiff 74 wrote:I go every week have done for years don’t go away every week but I rarely miss a home game live in port Talbot go on the train on Saturdays car for midweek games for the West Bromwich game didn’t leave work until 5.30 went home quick shower food and back through the door by 6.25 drove up in pouring rain sixty mile round trip and got to the game on time I’ve been doing it for years me and my to mates then we went a goal down in six minutes and you think all that effort but that’s following city for you

Great post, fella. That's what being a Bluebird is all about! :clap:

Others, as we have read, have genuine reasons they cannot do similar and it doesn't make them lesser supporters

'Not being arsed...' as one or two have put on this thread in not amongst them

Being a Bluebird is a state of mind and is a true state of attrition, as those who have been here for many years before Sam raised our profile and expectations will attest :thumbright:

I could tell you loads of stories about getting to Cardiff for home games but I really don’t like missing home games midweek games are hard work but I love going I just can’t believe some of the reason why supporters don’t make the effort to go on a Saturday i think sometimes why do they bother buying a season ticket I’m proud to be a season ticket holder proud to follow city

Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:21 pm

A club like us should be getting at least twenty five thousand per game the only way we are going to get promotion and raise the profile of our club if supporters turn up in numbers so we can genrste more income we are not going to be successful straight away but our players would soon respond if we had bigger crowds

Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:42 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
stickywicket wrote:Pembroke Al. We could be related.
My great Nan was from Steynton.

Lol unfortunately born in llanrumney

So was I. Did your father have a bike?

Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:46 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:A club like us should be getting at least twenty five thousand per game the only way we are going to get promotion and raise the profile of our club if supporters turn up in numbers so we can genrste more income we are not going to be successful straight away but our players would soon respond if we had bigger crowds

I can't disagree with any of your posts :thumbup:

We have a mix of genuine (someone queried the term recently) die-hard supporters, some glory hunters, some armchair critics (one of whom admitted he 'can't be arsed') and a few blatant mischief-makers

I know many, including myself, who put themselves out (or maybe a better term is 'make a big effort') to watch the team for a multitude of reasons that all end up with 'cos we loves the City...'

Notwithstanding my earlier comment about some (not all) having genuine reasons, missing a game without good cause is simply not an option for said die-hards who love the club (not the owner manager, division or results alone) for what it means to them

I'm as ambitious as anyone for the club, but I'd still go regardless because it's been and still is a big part of my life :thumbright:

Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:02 pm

Really interesting post this.

I have had it thrown at me about how often I go and while in some cases that was a genuine way of saying you haven’t seen how bad it got when we went red in other cases it was clearly a case of ‘your opinion doesn’t matter as much’.

It was I who brought up the die hard piece as our numbers of die hardship increases exponentially from 2000 on when Sam took us over. I don’t think we would ever go below 10,000 but quite clearly the numbers change dependant on success. But that’s the case with many clubs.

I’m not sure what our water level is as far as support goes. After our play off and cup finals I thought we could easily have 40,000 at our club and I think we would easily achieve 33,000 fans if the club got into the premier league and stayed there. However if we operated at a Burnley level I think we would soon see crowds reduce quite a bit.

If we had sustained success and started pushing top 10, 8, 6 then 4 (very unlikely I know) we would really see the buzz back I think.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:23 pm

That’s me(can’t be arsed), but it’s more to do with modern football than anything else.. Still like the City, but not a die hard anymore(was for about 30 years). These days just want to see a good game, win or lose.. well, preferably win.
Have great memories following the club tho.. life changes.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:32 pm

rumpo kid wrote:That’s me(can’t be arsed), but it’s more to do with modern football than anything else.. Still like the City, but not a die hard anymore(was for about 30 years). These days just want to see a good game, win or lose.. well, preferably win.

I wasn't thinking of you but understand your point :thumbup:

Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:37 pm

rumpo kid wrote:That’s me(can’t be arsed), but it’s more to do with modern football than anything else.. Still like the City, but not a die hard anymore(was for about 30 years). These days just want to see a good game, win or lose.. well, preferably win.

Dont start me on modern day football. That's a whole other thread which really boils my .....

Good points in that post though and is pretty much how I feel on it.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:44 pm

Im obviusly not a die hard and just a glory hunter supporter thats gone for the last 10 years. Perhaps my son will be cause I brought him up a bluebird.

However, I salute all those die hards out there. I fully respect if it's your way of life. You are the foundation of this club and ant any success os because of your dedication.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:51 pm

maccydee wrote:Really interesting post this.

I have had it thrown at me about how often I go and while in some cases that was a genuine way of saying you haven’t seen how bad it got when we went red in other cases it was clearly a case of ‘your opinion doesn’t matter as much’.

It was I who brought up the die hard piece as our numbers of die hardship increases exponentially from 2000 on when Sam took us over. I don’t think we would ever go below 10,000 but quite clearly the numbers change dependant on success. But that’s the case with many clubs.

I’m not sure what our water level is as far as support goes. After our play off and cup finals I thought we could easily have 40,000 at our club and I think we would easily achieve 33,000 fans if the club got into the premier league and stayed there. However if we operated at a Burnley level I think we would soon see crowds reduce quite a bit.

If we had sustained success and started pushing top 10, 8, 6 then 4 (very unlikely I know) we would really see the buzz back I think.

Neil you're a supporter and we know your position; and that youvattend as many games (home and away) as you can

Some great observations on crowd numbers and we need to consider outside the Premier League, every seat filled is another token towards avoiding FFP sanctions

Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:28 pm

BigBearBlue1974 wrote:Im obviusly not a die hard and just a glory hunter supporter thats gone for the last 10 years. Perhaps my son will be cause I brought him up a bluebird.

However, I salute all those die hards out there. I fully respect if it's your way of life. You are the foundation of this club and ant any success os because of your dedication.

To be fair you could easily be a die hard now.

If you stop going when times are tough you aren’t a die hard.

People like Annis (and others) with season tickets for 50 years are part of the 2000 die hards we had when we were bottom half of the dungeon.

I think we likely are at about 10,000 die hards now.

Of course I don’t count die hards as people who go all the time necessarily as people’s circumstances are very different.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:42 pm

Christ look at my comments on many other threads!!

We are not all the same
No one has the right to tell another person what they should and shouldn't be doing
We all have choices to make and they are generally made based on personal and financial reasons

My advice to you and the others who post such stupid comments is:
Stop making assumptions about other peoples lives
if you can and want to get to every came then that's great for you and the club but just remember not everyone can for a whole lot of reasons.

When my wife was dying of cancer i missed a whole lot of games so are you telling me that's wrong!!!

I have been a season ticket holder since the 70's and miss very few games but i respect others that are not so fortunate!!!

No one has the right to tell another person what they should be doing its a personal choice and if that person watches a game on tv, listens on radio or streaming and has a view then that's their view not yours so just take it as it is a persons view on what they have seen or listened to and stop dictating!!!

Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:17 pm

Well, as pongo once said.. “tell you wha, I f****n luvs this baarstad club”.. ha ha

Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:41 pm

crey wrote:Christ look at my comments on many other threads!!

We are not all the same
No one has the right to tell another person what they should and shouldn't be doing
We all have choices to make and they are generally made based on personal and financial reasons

My advice to you and the others who post such stupid comments is:
Stop making assumptions about other peoples lives
if you can and want to get to every came then that's great for you and the club but just remember not everyone can for a whole lot of reasons.

When my wife was dying of cancer i missed a whole lot of games so are you telling me that's wrong!!!

I have been a season ticket holder since the 70's and miss very few games but i respect others that are not so fortunate!!!

No one has the right to tell another person what they should be doing its a personal choice and if that person watches a game on tv, listens on radio or streaming and has a view then that's their view not yours so just take it as it is a persons view on what they have seen or listened to and stop dictating!!!

I don't think anyone but a complete wretch would consider that 'wrong' and I can empathise with you, having been in that very position myself not so long ago...

People on here were superb at the time and the support I got from certain individuals (I didn't always agree with) was immense and heart-warming. I've made some genuine friends out of the experience...

Sadly, as I've found out to my dismay over the last few days, there are one or two individuals who lack enough respect for themselves and others not to bring uninformed outside personal and family matters into this arena even though they don't know someone or their circumstances

At the end of the day, you are correct on your other points; in the main we are Cardiff City FC supporters and we should all be pulling in the same direction :clap:

Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:40 am

unfortunately i can no longer go to saturday or tuesday games, as i work minimum wage, and since covid, people have left our place of work, so work weekends, and tuesdays, and i don't get home till gone 6pm, so i can attend friday night games, and sunday games, but i don't feel it makes me any less of a fan that i can no longer attend as i used to.

Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:51 am

bluebird04 wrote:unfortunately i can no longer go to saturday or tuesday games, as i work minimum wage, and since covid, people have left our place of work, so work weekends, and tuesdays, and i don't get home till gone 6pm, so i can attend friday night games, and sunday games, but i don't feel it makes me any less of a fan that i can no longer attend as i used to.

Feel for you, fella; and that's a reason not an excuse :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:20 pm

If I only went for the football I would have give up years ago, its about meeting mates, having a pint, talking crap, being a manager, putting a tenner on an Acca, having another pint, the build up, the excitement, the disappointment and not just the football. :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:22 pm

Sven wrote:
cardiff 74 wrote:A club like us should be getting at least twenty five thousand per game the only way we are going to get promotion and raise the profile of our club if supporters turn up in numbers so we can genrste more income we are not going to be successful straight away but our players would soon respond if we had bigger crowds

I can't disagree with any of your posts :thumbup:

We have a mix of genuine (someone queried the term recently) die-hard supporters, some glory hunters, some armchair critics (one of whom admitted he 'can't be arsed') and a few blatant mischief-makers

I know many, including myself, who put themselves out (or maybe a better term is 'make a big effort') to watch the team for a multitude of reasons that all end up with 'cos we loves the City...'

Notwithstanding my earlier comment about some (not all) having genuine reasons, missing a game without good cause is simply not an option for said die-hards who love the club (not the owner manager, division or results alone) for what it means to them

I'm as ambitious as anyone for the club, but I'd still go regardless because it's been and still is a big part of my life :thumbright:
sven I believe in the club I believe in the badge it doesn’t bother me when we are shite love it when we are good but most of all I am a football man and a seasoned campaigner with the city and most important I love football and Cardiff city it’s a big part of my life my family know how much it means to me