Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

How many of you City detractors actually watch games live at

Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:24 pm

As my alter ego wrote on the other message board, unless you live or work abroad or aren’t fit enough to attend games at the Cardiff City stadium, then you shouldn’t criticise the club as so many of you tend to. I live in London and for some years have gone to over 35 games each season.

Come on then, how many of you actually get behind the club in person on match days, rather than follow on dodgy streams or online? Or just read each others’ criticism and follow one another like sheep.

Re: How many of you City detractors actually watch games liv

Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:32 pm

Winchmore Hill Bluebird wrote:As my alter ego wrote on the other message board, unless you live or work abroad or aren’t fit enough to attend games at the Cardiff City stadium, then you shouldn’t criticise the club as so many of you tend to. I live in London and for some years have gone to over 35 games each season.

Come on then, how many of you actually get behind the club in person on match days, rather than follow on dodgy streams or online? Or just read each others’ criticism and follow one another like sheep.

Nowadays I doubt half - probably less than that on the other board.

Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:37 pm

I take it you have a good job? You must do if you travel to 35 games a season.

Well there are others who don't have the money. There are others who work weekends. There are others who have young children they have to care for. There are other that have circumstances that are none of your business.

There are dozens of good reasons why some people can't go to games.

I go to as many games as I can logistically and financially go to. For example, I will be at the Middlesbrough game and will have to get a train before 9am to do so. That's not anywhere near 35 games a season as I simply don't have the money to pay £30 for the train every other week (I'm not allowed to drive medically).

Every game I can't go to, providing I am not busy with something important (very rare), I will watch on TV. That's good quality TV, nothing dodgy about it.

If you don't have any other commitments and the money is rolling in or you live local, then it's easy to criticise fans who don't go.

But people have to remember that not everyone's circumstances are the same.

It certainly doesn't make them any less of a fan.

I would also say that, although I strongly disagree with many on here at times, every fan has the right to voice their opinion. If they didn't, then on here we'd just ban everyone who had a different opinion than we did on the games.

Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:40 pm

To be fair Worcester, I am retired.
I accept your points though about the cost of raising a family. I’ve been there with 3 daughters!

Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:54 pm

I’m self employed and live in the midlands so go to more away games than home ....I would love to go every week but didn’t get a penny of furlong so have to work whenever it comes in which often includes Saturday as I won’t go into debt.
I’m no less committed a fan than the guy who goes to 35 games a season having supported city for 40 years .
Im entitled to my views whether I go to a game or pay £10 to watch on city tv .
I’ve stuck with my club through thick and thin, more than those who only appear when we are in premier league.

Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:16 pm

When I was working out in the Middle East I use to get to about 10 games a season. Lets just say getting to 3 of those games was a lot more than having a season ticket.

While working in Europe I was a season ticket holder and got to about 20 games a season.

Of late I'm living in the Midlands and don't get to as many games as I want because age is catching me up and it basically knackers me out the travelling like.

Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:41 pm

So, bottom line is you can be a detractor and a proponent, irrespective of how many games attended.

Maybe alter ego should alter ego.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:43 am

This, I’m a better supporter stuff on here needs to stop as it’s just boring. It’s like you need to validate yourself about how long you have followed the club, if you go to away games, and if you were there in the bad old days. The one thing we all have in common is we support Cardiff city. We all want them to be successful, but like every other supporter, we criticize the club when it’s bad, and hype it up when it’s good. I admire, and respect anyone that could go to all the home and away games, as I wish I could.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:32 am

BaltimoreBlues wrote:This, I’m a better supporter stuff on here needs to stop as it’s just boring. It’s like you need to validate yourself about how long you have followed the club, if you go to away games, and if you were there in the bad old days. The one thing we all have in common is we support Cardiff city. We all want them to be successful, but like every other supporter, we criticize the club when it’s bad, and hype it up when it’s good. I admire, and respect anyone that could go to all the home and away games, as I wish I could.

I envy people who can go to all the home and away game.

I love going to a game regardless how well or bad we are doing. Feeling down after another loss but sharing it with like minded supporters is better than getting a promotion at work. Winning game after game with like minded people is the best feeling in the world. being amongst like minded people is the best feeling in the world regardless of their background and statue.

Guys who are not able to do that for different circumstances should never be look down on specially if you don't know who they are. They could have been there every weekend but circumstances has prevented that happening now.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:42 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
BaltimoreBlues wrote:This, I’m a better supporter stuff on here needs to stop as it’s just boring. It’s like you need to validate yourself about how long you have followed the club, if you go to away games, and if you were there in the bad old days. The one thing we all have in common is we support Cardiff city. We all want them to be successful, but like every other supporter, we criticize the club when it’s bad, and hype it up when it’s good. I admire, and respect anyone that could go to all the home and away games, as I wish I could.

I envy people who can go to all the home and away game.

I love going to a game regardless how well or bad we are doing. Feeling down after another loss but sharing it with like minded supporters is better than getting a promotion at work. Winning game after game with like minded people is the best feeling in the world. being amongst like minded people is the best feeling in the world regardless of their background and statue.

Guys who are not able to do that for different circumstances should never be look down on specially if you don't know who they are. They could have been there every weekend but circumstances has prevented that happening now.

Spot on ...well said

Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:05 am

I live in Spain , I have two season tickets and renewed 50 consecutive seasons and usually travel back every 14 days , but due to Covid restrictions etc once a month at moment.
But never miss a match live on a big screen which actually I believe you see things first hand better to analyse the game better .

But what ever , every City fan is allowed their opinions :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Every fan has different reasons and should be respected :bluebird: :bluebird:

If your only staying away because are doing awful then to me that is not right as a real fan supports no matter good or bad :bluebird: :bluebird:

I hope this is alright with the OP and I have passed his test .

I would love to know how many years and how many games he has actually personality watched our club?

And who you actually are?

Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:18 am

I do, but im giving the shite show a miss for a bit it now. Empty seats and stadiums sometimes are the loudest noise a fan can give to the board.

Blind faith and loyalty gets you nowhere. Yes, it gives you a sense of belonging. But sometimes you have got to be cruel to be kind.

Im out till I see a change in club philosphy and not this dross .

Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:21 am

Winchmore Hill Bluebird wrote:As my alter ego wrote on the other message board, unless you live or work abroad or aren’t fit enough to attend games at the Cardiff City stadium, then you shouldn’t criticise the club as so many of you tend to. I live in London and for some years have gone to over 35 games each season.

So are you saying that if I watch a game on say Cardiff City TV as I did with the WBA game I am precluded from criticising the five centre backs two holding midfielders line up up because I was not actually there in the stadium. What are you the football Taliban?

I live in England quite a long way from Cardiff and can't get to every game paticularly mid week ones but if I have actually seen a game I believe I am entitled to an opinion on it.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:31 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:I take it you have a good job? You must do if you travel to 35 games a season.

Well there are others who don't have the money. There are others who work weekends. There are others who have young children they have to care for. There are other that have circumstances that are none of your business.

I go to as many games as I can logistically and financially go to. For example, I will be at the Middlesbrough game and will have to get a train before 9am to do so. That's not anywhere near 35 games a season as I simply don't have the money to pay £30 for the train every other week (I'm not allowed to drive medically).

Every game I can't go to, providing I am not busy with something important (very rare), I will watch on TV. That's good quality TV, nothing dodgy about it.

If you don't have any other commitments and the money is rolling in or you live local, then it's easy to criticise fans who don't go.

I would also say that, although I strongly disagree with many on here at times, every fan has the right to voice their opinion. If they didn't, then on here we'd just ban everyone who had a different opinion than we did on the games.

Well said Ned, he does not know peoples circumstances it is absolutely none of his business :thumbup:

Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:41 pm

Igovernor wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:I take it you have a good job? You must do if you travel to 35 games a season.

Well said Ned, he does not know peoples circumstances it is absolutely none of his business :thumbup:

Spot on that. Each and everyone of us have our own reasons.

Some even say that to be a true supporter you have to be home and away die hard.

How about this and that a true supporter is someone who challenges their club when they are not happy and not those that just obey and pay out no matter what. But hey we all different.

Empty seats sometimes make the loudest noises.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:50 pm

Well said Ned :thumbup:

Fans have different circumstances and should be questioned or judged.

Would love to see the real name of this fan who questions others for their views if they were not their???

Hopefully he will be respectful and tell us :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:52 pm

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:

Nowadays I doubt half - probably less than that on the other board.

I doubt it as I would say the other board def had less actually at matches.

I have met way over a few hundred of this forum who attend matched and who post on here :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Most on the other board use it just for sniping abs belittling.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:36 pm

I travel from Cwmbran that's a round trip of not far off 40 miles.
After the WBA game we drove up to the M4 only to find it was closed.
Cardiff based don't know how lucky they are..
City fans have always been fickle.
I remember the, Hereford game when there was 35000
on a Tuesday on the Saturday home against Swindon 18000

Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:48 pm

That’s because the club is fickle, and has never nailed floating supporters.. in my 45 years we’ve been average, more lows than highs, and sometimes it’s been the case that they didn’t deserve the support they got.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:13 pm

had my season ticket now for nearly 25 years, live in derbyshire and travel to nearly all home games (except mid week, just not possible) and as many games away as poss, great being central based, also when I get home in Cardiff (born and bred) I see family too so its a winner for me

Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:13 pm

had my season ticket now for nearly 25 years, live in derbyshire and travel to nearly all home games (except mid week, just not possible) and as many games away as poss, great being central based, also when I get home in Cardiff (born and bred) I see family too so its a winner for me

Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:18 pm

stickywicket wrote:I travel from Cwmbran that's a round trip of not far off 40 miles.

And in 1927 we won the FA cup and had capacity crowds every game.

Randomly picking a couple of 3rd division games over 40 years ago serves as much purpose as using 1927, different times & both were special circumstances.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:46 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:
stickywicket wrote:I travel from Cwmbran that's a round trip of not far off 40 miles.

And in 1927 we won the FA cup and had capacity crowds every game.

Randomly picking a couple of 3rd division games over 40 years ago serves as much purpose as using 1927, different times & both were special circumstances.

21640 at Derby yesterday.
Like I said City fans are fickle.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:41 pm

Yes I got caught out by that dropped daughter off st park and ride quick hop onto m4 but had to go all way to manor way coryton ..... oh to be home 30mins after game :old:

Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:07 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Yes I got caught out by that dropped daughter off st park and ride quick hop onto m4 but had to go all way to manor way coryton ..... oh to be home 30mins after game :old:

Where do you live Al. I was talking to a couple of guys yesterday. There were from Vienna. Yes Vienna Supporting the City.
Last edited by stickywicket on Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:09 pm

stickywicket wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Where do you live Al

The clue is in his name lol, sorry I couldn’t resist

Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:10 pm

Ponty Bluebird wrote:
stickywicket wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Where do you live Al

Really. You could have been born there

Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:14 pm

stickywicket wrote:
Ponty Bluebird wrote:
stickywicket wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Where do you live Al

Cardiff born but live in st davids...smallest city in uk approx
115 miles to ground :occasion5:
Last edited by pembroke allan on Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:14 pm

stickywicket wrote:
Ponty Bluebird wrote:
stickywicket wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Where do you live Al

Yes you’re right he could’ve been but he wasn’t :thumbup:

Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:16 pm

Pembroke Al. We could be related.
My great Nan was from Steynton.