Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: OFFICIAL: ' Lee Tomlin GONE '

Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:36 am

Where next for the mercurial Lee Tomlin?

Bristol live

Monday 4th October 2021

The 2016 Lee Johnson signing has struggled for regular football of late but has continually shown his ability once out on the grass.

On Monday, Cardiff City announced that the 32-year-old's contract with the Bluebirds had been terminated after mutual agreement with his deal due to expire next summer.

Tomlin leaves the Welsh capital after making just 32 starts and scoring 11 times for the Championship side having first moved to south Wales in 2017.

It follows question marks over his fitness with Cardiff boss Mick McCarthy recently explaining that Tomlin had undergone surgery to help clear up a groin problem.

The departure of Harry Wilson in the summer meant that many Cardiff supporters identified Tomlin as a potential creative spark for the Bluebirds this season, and McCarthy suggested last July that Tomlin was in his plans.

The versatile former Middlesbrough and Peterborough attacking midfielder or forward spent most of last season sidelined, making just five appearances, and he's not stepped foot onto the pitch for the Bluebirds this term.

"I love the ability of Lee Tomlin," McCarthy said in the summer. "Like everybody else. You can see why. You can see why everyone's attracted to him. But the key is keeping him fit. I've just spoken to him, and apparently he's done his hamstring, which I hope isn't the case.

"I spoke to him before pre-season, and we had the discussion and we both agreed 'I'm not sure about 90 minutes'.

"But certainly that kind of a cameo appearance. He put the ball through for Davies, we can all see that, the reverse pass."

Tomlin's fitness was also a concern while he was at Ashton Gate, after he arrived on loan in Janaury 2016 and helped to keep the Robins in the Championship in Johnson's first season in charge.

Johnson went on to later hint that Tomlin commuting from Leicester was detrimental to keep himself in top condition.

"You make a decision and at the end of the day Tommo had three years left on his deal so of course he was part of my plans," said Johnson in July 2017 after Neil Warnock captured the forward.

“It just was not working out for him at Ashton Gate and he needed a fresh start.”

Tomlin has opened up on his mental health issues in the past, and a struggle to remain fit.

It will be an interesting watch to see where the undoubtedly naturally talented Leicester-born playmaker pitches up next, if he can get himself in top condition again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:56 am

Forever Blue wrote:Where next for the mercurial Lee Tomlin?

Bristol live

Monday 4th October 2021

The 2016 Lee Johnson signing has struggled for regular football of late but has continually shown his ability once out on the grass.

On Monday, Cardiff City announced that the 32-year-old's contract with the Bluebirds had been terminated after mutual agreement with his deal due to expire next summer.

Tomlin leaves the Welsh capital after making just 32 starts and scoring 11 times for the Championship side having first moved to south Wales in 2017.

It follows question marks over his fitness with Cardiff boss Mick McCarthy recently explaining that Tomlin had undergone surgery to help clear up a groin problem.

The departure of Harry Wilson in the summer meant that many Cardiff supporters identified Tomlin as a potential creative spark for the Bluebirds this season, and McCarthy suggested last July that Tomlin was in his plans.

The versatile former Middlesbrough and Peterborough attacking midfielder or forward spent most of last season sidelined, making just five appearances, and he's not stepped foot onto the pitch for the Bluebirds this term.

"I love the ability of Lee Tomlin," McCarthy said in the summer. "Like everybody else. You can see why. You can see why everyone's attracted to him. But the key is keeping him fit. I've just spoken to him, and apparently he's done his hamstring, which I hope isn't the case.

"I spoke to him before pre-season, and we had the discussion and we both agreed 'I'm not sure about 90 minutes'.

"But certainly that kind of a cameo appearance. He put the ball through for Davies, we can all see that, the reverse pass."

Tomlin's fitness was also a concern while he was at Ashton Gate, after he arrived on loan in Janaury 2016 and helped to keep the Robins in the Championship in Johnson's first season in charge.

Johnson went on to later hint that Tomlin commuting from Leicester was detrimental to keep himself in top condition.

"You make a decision and at the end of the day Tommo had three years left on his deal so of course he was part of my plans," said Johnson in July 2017 after Neil Warnock captured the forward.

“It just was not working out for him at Ashton Gate and he needed a fresh start.”

Tomlin has opened up on his mental health issues in the past, and a struggle to remain fit.

It will be an interesting watch to see where the undoubtedly naturally talented Leicester-born playmaker pitches up next, if he can get himself in top condition again.

Food taster for KFC

Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:00 am

Best news for a long time, another sick note off our book. There's some questions to answer by club officials on how we have so many players so disinterestedin playing for us, faking injuries and out for long periods of time, Jaz Richards, Lee Tomlin, Isaac Vassell (3 games in 2 years) just to name a few recent ones.

Anyone interested take a look at the below link you'll see how many players are absent from the squad every season;

https://www.transfermarkt.com/cardiff-c ... GB2%262021

Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:53 am

rhyswales wrote:Best news for a long time, another sick note off our book. There's some questions to answer by club officials on how we have so many players so disinterestedin playing for us, faking injuries and out for long periods of time, Jaz Richards, Lee Tomlin, Isaac Vassell (3 games in 2 years) just to name a few recent ones.

Anyone interested take a look at the below link you'll see how many players are absent from the squad every season;

Where's the evidence any of those bar Tomlin was swinging the lead?

Jazz was often accused but he had no chance from Day 1 when some on here accused him of not 'doing the Ayatollah' on his debut at Brum,, which he certainly did. They just missed it, so to them (not unusually) it didn't happen!

Vassell has had a torrid time and is desperate to play. The irony is that we could do with an up to speed Vassell (no mean player) right now and he knows he is fightung for his future!

The stats can tell you whatever you want them to but not every 'injured' player is a Tomlin; players really do get injured and there is a separation... ;)

Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:20 am

rhyswales wrote:Best news for a long time, another sick note off our book. There's some questions to answer by club officials on how we have so many players so disinterestedin playing for us, faking injuries and out for long periods of time, Jaz Richards, Lee Tomlin, Isaac Vassell (3 games in 2 years) just to name a few recent ones.

Don't think Vasell could be accused to swinging the lead. We signed a crock pure and simple. It was one of Warnocks most stupid signings. Incredibly many on here thought it was a good signing at the time and had their spilt second in the sun when he scored a late goal against Luton. Three years of permanent injury later and hundreds of thousands of wasted wages later they haven't so much to say for themselves.

Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:26 am

Crayfish wrote:

Don't think Vasell could be accused to swinging the lead. We signed a crock pure and simple. It was one of Warnocks most stupid signings. Incredibly many on here thought it was a good signing at the time and had their spilt second in the sun when he scored a late goal against Luton. Three years of permanent injury later and hundreds of thousands of wasted wages later they haven't so much to say for themselves.

Incredibly? :shock:

Not sure about Neil Warnock's 'due diligence' but there was no reason for the supporters to think/hope they'd got a good player after his goal-scoring debut...

It's a little disrespectful, as we don't all have your forward insight to what's going to happen... ;)

Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:48 pm

You can read what you like into the situation and we all have our own opinions on think and in my opinion it can’t be a coincidence that those players have one injury after another over a period of years and when they do come back they don’t turn up etc... We have an unprecedented amount of injury’s with an already small pool of quality players at its either a severe failing by the club/doctors/sports scientists to keep these players fit or a failing by the coaches/management/directorship in man managing these kids to get them to come to work and perform. Another problem is that the club has been and is in a poor position on and off the pitch, no decent player wants to come here and what players we do have don’t want to perform (excluding a few). IN MY OPINION.

Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:06 pm

rhyswales wrote:You can read what you like into the situation and we all have our own opinions on think and in my opinion it can’t be a coincidence that those players have one injury after another over a period of years and when they do come back they don’t turn up etc... We have an unprecedented amount of injury’s with an already small pool of quality players at its either a severe failing by the club/doctors/sports scientists to keep these players fit or a failing by the coaches/management/directorship in man managing these kids to get them to come to work and perform. Another problem is that the club has been and is in a poor position on and off the pitch, no decent player wants to come here and what players we do have don’t want to perform (excluding a few). IN MY OPINION.

So what's the situation at other clubs to support you comment that this club has an exceptional issue? :?: