Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Are we right just to blame McCarthy and the board?

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:07 pm

Does anyone else think our players down tools when they don’t like/agree with the management. I’m really trying to see how we can go from play off contenders to relegation contenders in the space of 4 months.

Our summer dealings were very poor by standards set from the previous years. We strengthened under Harris last summer but even then the players didn’t seem to want to play for him, is the same happening with McCarthy now? I was worried about Kieffer in particular when we appointed MM as they have had history and it didn’t seem like a great relationship as he was sold a few months after they bought him.

Morrison seems a shell of the player he was and we all know how big an influence he has on the squad.

I’m not a McCarthy fan and never will be but it just seems very odd that we go from looking like a really-well organised team to an absolute shambles with practically the same group of players over a 4 month period.

The atmosphere this season has been the worst I’ve ever seen. The Bournemouth game for example. There was 3/4 extremely dodgy decisions that the officials gave against us. (Lerma’s tackle, Collins being elbowed in their box) I didn’t hear the ref being called anything once, the canton in particular didn’t seem to say a word or bemoan the ref for anything. They were more interested in heckling a substitute who used to play for Swansea. How many times have the fans won games for us? Plenty. Our players seem to thrive under the intense hostile atmosphere that we can create. This needs to come back or teams will continue to enjoy coming to play us at the CCS

Hopefully this break does the whole squad and management some good as supporting my team is very difficult in the current circumstances.

Re: Are we right just to blame McCarthy and the board?

Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:12 pm

GaerBlue wrote:Does anyone else think our players down tools when they don’t like/agree with the management. I’m really trying to see how we can go from play off contenders to relegation contenders in the space of 4 months.

Our summer dealings were very poor by standards set from the previous years. We strengthened under Harris last summer but even then the players didn’t seem to want to play for him, is the same happening with McCarthy now? I was worried about Kieffer in particular when we appointed MM as they have had history and it didn’t seem like a great relationship as he was sold a few months after they bought him.

Morrison seems a shell of the player he was and we all know how big an influence he has on the squad.

I’m not a McCarthy fan and never will be but it just seems very odd that we go from looking like a really-well organised team to an absolute shambles with practically the same group of players over a 4 month period.

The atmosphere this season has been the worst I’ve ever seen. The Bournemouth game for example. There was 3/4 extremely dodgy decisions that the officials gave against us. (Lerma’s tackle, Collins being elbowed in their box) I didn’t hear the ref being called anything once, the canton in particular didn’t seem to say a word or bemoan the ref for anything. They were more interested in heckling a substitute who used to play for Swansea. How many times have the fans won games for us? Plenty. Our players seem to thrive under the intense hostile atmosphere that we can create. This needs to come back or teams will continue to enjoy coming to play us at the CCS

Hopefully this break does the whole squad and management some good as supporting my team is very difficult in the current circumstances.

No offence, but atmosphere is generallygood, but it's hard to get up for it, when the team play so poorly! The last game showed the crowd WILL be loud & supportive, as long as we can see the players giving it a real go! And if this is the worst atmosphere you've witnessed,how long you been attending? Cos it's been far worse,on many occasions.

Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:55 pm

Think the players have been getting off lightly Especially some of our more experienced players

Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:32 pm

No matter their tactics I feel our better players are under performing , if its player power I'd be very annoyed as they play for us not themselves.

Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:24 pm

The players (majority) are just not good enough, it’s not really their fault, the manager was clearly happy with size and quality of his squad - until we started the dire run of results, and then he wasn’t happy with quality within, or size of his squad. His signings are poor, his selections are poor and tactics are worse.

It’s time to move on, continue to clear the decks and start to look at some players to keep us in this division, then try to add a few and bring on the good youngsters we have. Starting with midfield, it’s been dire for too many seasons, so much so we avoid it going forward and it’s played through too easily when we are defending.

Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:35 pm

If we survive this season it will be considered a good season by the board.

If we go down then we can look at the board, manager and players. The board for forcing us to play the youngsters so we can get the wage bill down. The manager because he knew what he was getting into and most likely told the board he was the man to keep us in the division with an inexperienced squad. The players because it looks like to me they are not that good enough.

Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:16 pm

for me it does start with the manager, i mean i know the board are cutting the budget, but the manager still made a few signings, he brought in Wintle, McGuinness, Collins, so out of our signings, they are the only real first team players. we have "Morrison, Nelson, Brown, Flint" 4 centre haves, did we really need a 5th in McGuinness, when we were crying out for some pace and width.

midfield, we had Bacuna, Vaulks, Pack, Ralls, Tomlin (now he's gone but was there at the time) Colwill breaking into the squad.
did we need to sign Wintle, only to ship him out on loan, again, when we needed pace out wide. or width,

i feel Mick has made some poor signings for me, not bad players in general, but just failed to strengthen areas which needed to be strengthened. doesn't know his best set-up, or 11. and by now has probably lost the dressing room.

Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:34 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:If we survive this season it will be considered a good season by the board.

If we go down then we can look at the board, manager and players. The board for forcing us to play the youngsters so we can get the wage bill down. The manager because he knew what he was getting into and most likely told the board he was the man to keep us in the division with an inexperienced squad. The players because it looks like to me they are not that good enough.

Wasnt it said the youngsters from academy are on £500 a week If so they wont be here after end season they'll be offered better
deals by other clubs ? Particularly the ones in 1st team squad so it will all be a waste of time trying to cut costs because need to replace 7 out of contract players plus the youngsters that possibly leave !

Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:40 pm

They probably are downing tools as its usually a way to unseat the manage. Personally don't agree with it as it affects us the support.

If you are a footballer it must be soul destroying to play a boring version of Aussie rules football under MM

Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:09 pm

To me, it was obvious that we would struggle this season. Indeed I was surprised by the reasonable start we had.
Lack of pace, width and creativity in the squad is beginning to tell.

In addition, poor performances from the central defence leaking more goals than all but Peterborough.
It all looks quite grim at present for the immediate future.

Therefore, I have to blame both the manager along with the board. I believe the players are trying their best, but simply not up to the standard to compete in the of half of the Championship table as many supporters believed they would.

Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:34 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:If we survive this season it will be considered a good season by the board.

Wasnt it said the youngsters from academy are on £500 a week If so they wont be here after end season they'll be offered better
deals by other clubs ? Particularly the ones in 1st team squad so it will all be a waste of time trying to cut costs because need to replace 7 out of contract players plus the youngsters that possibly leave !

Well yes they will leave if they are on that. It will be interesting ot see how the club manages that.