MICK McCARTHY: “ GOOD NEWS FOR SWANSEA GAME “

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:27 am

Cardiff City captain Sean Morrison is back in contention for Sunday's crucial south Wales derby clash with Swansea City.

No new injuries, only one player out Tom Sang.

Friday 15th October 2021

The Bluebirds centre back missed the 1-0 defeat by Reading before the international break owing to a thigh strain, however he has returned and will be available for selection for the fixture at the Swansea.com Stadium.

Another boost for City fans is that Kieffer Moore is fully fit after taking a whack in the eye while away on international duty with Wales, a blow which left him with blurred vision afterwards.

However Mick McCarthy has said the player has recovered well and will likely lead the line against the Swans this weekend.

Sam Bowen, who played so well in that defeat by the Royals, missed this week's Wales under-21s loss to Netherlands, has recovered from illness and will also be available.

Tom Sang, however, will likely miss out again because he is still struggling with that toe issue which has plagued him since the back end of last season.

But it is largely a clean bill of health for Cardiff, who sorely need a win this weekend if they are to dig themselves out of a slump which has seen them lose the last five games on the spin.

McCarthy admitted that he feels under pressure going into this Sunday's match, but only from within.

"Under pressure to get results, always, no matter where you are," he said when asked about the run of poor results.

"I get what you’re asking. If you think I’m under any pressure other than wanting to win the game on Sunday, then no, I’m not feeling that.

"I feel for the lads, because the lads give everything.

"It’s a lot easier when you’re winning, that’s for sure. But you have to stick together and keep doing the right things, what you believe in.

"You know what, we will get a result. At some point you’re going to get a result and who knows, that just might be Sunday."

McCarthy said he had been given no ultimatum regarding this Sunday's derby and doesn't feel it's a must-win game in terms of him keeping his job.

He said he has only had support from the top brass and the only pressure he feels is what he has placed on himself to win this weekend's derby.

"I’ve only had support from the top," McCarthy added.

"When that question is asked, it’s always about the job. That's the meaning behind, 'are you feeling under pressure?'

"I fully understand that if you lose games you lose your job. That’s not what creates the pressure for me. What creates the pressure is the game against Swansea, to try and win it.

"I’m under pressure to get a performance and a result, if we do, that'll be brilliant, because that's what I want. If we don’t, I fully understand the rules of the game.

"I try not to let that pressure and all that noise behind me affect what I'm doing for the Swansea game."

Of course, McCarthy has incredibly fond memories of his one and only South Wales derby, a 1-0 away win back in March as Cardiff looked to continue their unlikely play-off run.

He will of course hope it's a happy hunting ground for him once again this weekend, when he needs a result more than ever.

With a fully fit squad, save Sang, and a striker in Moore who has just come off the back of a strong, goalscoring performance for Wales, the manager will hope the Bluebirds fans can come away with the bragging rights this weekend.

"I’ve had a few derbies in my life," McCarthy said. "They are always intense, high profile and I love that about them.

"If you can win them then they are brilliant. If you get beat in them it leaves you pretty low, even more so the fans, because it's important for them.

"Players and managers come and go but fans are always there. They like the bragging rights from the derby games."
Attachments
2D7CB54D-8A54-4377-A938-E4015580F8C0.jpeg
2D7CB54D-8A54-4377-A938-E4015580F8C0.jpeg (111.41 KiB) Viewed 5124 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “ GOOD NEWS FOR SWANSEA GAME “

Postby DEANO » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:26 pm

I am not doubting sam Bowen will become a good player.
It shows how desperate we are if it's good news he will be fit for sunday.
DEANO

Postby davids » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:33 pm

With a "fully fit squad, save for Sang" I look forward to Vassell starting.
davids

Postby Sven » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:49 pm

DEANO wrote:I am not doubting sam Bowen will become a good player.
It shows how desperate we are if it's good news he will be fit for sunday.

Aye, he only got a few of MotM votes last time out, so it would be a mare to play him, eh? ;)

Personally thought he didn't look out of his depth at all... :clap:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby TopCat CCFC » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:59 pm

Good News :bluebird:
TopCat CCFC

Postby New Day Rising » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:15 pm

With Morrison and Moore in it gives a strength we need , we will know on Sunday how much this group of players want to play for the shirt and MM
New Day Rising

Return to General Chat