Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: “ Lost for Words “

Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:21 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:We've needed a proven director of football from day one when VT bought us.

Dalman presently does this, and he's an investment banker, not a DOF & his time at Man U is not relevant to us. He appointed Ole as the answer and as much as I loved Neil Warnock, he was a sticking plaster, not the answer of appointing a manager and establishing a framework of a long term club wide philosophy of football, which should have been done 10 years ago. MM's appointment was the same and compounded this - another 'fire-fighting' appointment because of previous knee-jerk appointments and lack of long term strategy. And I agree with a previous poster, VT has been previously been burned when asked to back managers with budget, but the managerial appointments have been wrong as the root problem hasn't been addressed & VT ultimately relies on one person for 'footballing' decisions - Dalman.

Whilst VT needs to make a statement, Dalmans absence this season and present silence is deafening. He's a politician, flatters to deceive and plays to the gallery and is clearly the weakest link/bottleneck at crucial strategic board level. I've been told that VT and KC wants MM gone, but Dalman continues to defend him. Strange that.

Taking the sentiment out of it, VT supplies the capital (which he has done and continues to do) and appoints a board of executives to get a return on investment. He appointed a 'trusted' board and has continually got burned and has now lost interest. VT should clearly identify a DOF is needed and Dalman is not the answer, and should be sacked.

My concern is that the status quo remains which is a shame, as this should have played out so much differently.

But ahead of that, we are now in real trouble and for quite some time, I've been worried that we may have a perfect storm - poor side, poor manager, poor board and an owner that has lost interest and has appointed someone to rationalise Berjaya's portfolio.

In the absolute short term, the only glimmer of light I have was the Reading performance, where despite the result, I thought was a turning point for MM. I thought we would build on that today and am aghast on him reverting to a proven failure set up. The Reading game showed to me that you can get some sort of tune out of the current squad, MM did at Reading but for some reason chose not to today, so maybe Steve Morison could do so going forward as a fix, as I can't see anyone else of quality coming into the current set up but even he, like James Rowberry, who was apparently asked, may refuse to take on what is increasingly becoming a poison chalice.

What a mess.

Steve morison has the under 24s playing good football so if he was to take temp charge can see the football improving and possibly show tan that long term planning is way forward for club not fire fighting dinosaurs he's employed at times let's hope MM is the last we sign. :old:

Just read your post on another thread Al which was spot on, I think we both agree that the Reading performance shows that a competant manager can get a tune out of this squad, even if it's to currently to avoid the very real prospect of relegation, which is now our immediate sbort term problem.

Long term though, and if VT is still interested, Dalman has to go and be replaced with a proven DOF. I dont understand why VT hasn't identified this after so much time and expense as a result of Dalmans "Football Busines Expert' advice, which has led us to precisely to where we are. Dalmans clear lack of interest & presence, especially now in times of trouble, speaks volumes.

I don't understand dalmans absence from anything to do with city? although it's not unusual for CEO or other board members being absent for years not sure when last time heared anything from tan or Dalman on city matters so it's hard to ascertain anything useful regarding the situation... certainly a dof is required if we are to sort out the mess we have gotten ourselves into...... hopefully at this present time tan and ken are convincing Dalman that MM needs to go and hear the good news in morning..[/quote]

VTs decision on Monday should be 1. MM gone. 2.Morison in. 3. Dalman relieved of football advice board duties & quickly replaced by a DOF.

It wont completely happen though. Dalman seems to have VTs ear, more than KC, I guess through representing him on previous investment banking transactions. I can see the sort term fixes happening at some point but whilst the snake oil salesman remains, no long term vision and vital long term strategic direction. To save face, Dalman will be telling VT we are an underperming investment and HR Owen and Kenny Rogers Roasters is the way to go.

Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:34 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:We've needed a proven director of football from day one when VT bought us.

Dalman presently does this, and he's an investment banker, not a DOF & his time at Man U is not relevant to us. He appointed Ole as the answer and as much as I loved Neil Warnock, he was a sticking plaster, not the answer of appointing a manager and establishing a framework of a long term club wide philosophy of football, which should have been done 10 years ago. MM's appointment was the same and compounded this - another 'fire-fighting' appointment because of previous knee-jerk appointments and lack of long term strategy. And I agree with a previous poster, VT has been previously been burned when asked to back managers with budget, but the managerial appointments have been wrong as the root problem hasn't been addressed & VT ultimately relies on one person for 'footballing' decisions - Dalman.

Whilst VT needs to make a statement, Dalmans absence this season and present silence is deafening. He's a politician, flatters to deceive and plays to the gallery and is clearly the weakest link/bottleneck at crucial strategic board level. I've been told that VT and KC wants MM gone, but Dalman continues to defend him. Strange that.

Taking the sentiment out of it, VT supplies the capital (which he has done and continues to do) and appoints a board of executives to get a return on investment. He appointed a 'trusted' board and has continually got burned and has now lost interest. VT should clearly identify a DOF is needed and Dalman is not the answer, and should be sacked.

My concern is that the status quo remains which is a shame, as this should have played out so much differently.

But ahead of that, we are now in real trouble and for quite some time, I've been worried that we may have a perfect storm - poor side, poor manager, poor board and an owner that has lost interest and has appointed someone to rationalise Berjaya's portfolio.

In the absolute short term, the only glimmer of light I have was the Reading performance, where despite the result, I thought was a turning point for MM. I thought we would build on that today and am aghast on him reverting to a proven failure set up. The Reading game showed to me that you can get some sort of tune out of the current squad, MM did at Reading but for some reason chose not to today, so maybe Steve Morison could do so going forward as a fix, as I can't see anyone else of quality coming into the current set up but even he, like James Rowberry, who was apparently asked, may refuse to take on what is increasingly becoming a poison chalice.

What a mess.

Steve morison has the under 24s playing good football so if he was to take temp charge can see the football improving and possibly show tan that long term planning is way forward for club not fire fighting dinosaurs he's employed at times let's hope MM is the last we sign. :old:

Just read your post on another thread Al which was spot on, I think we both agree that the Reading performance shows that a competant manager can get a tune out of this squad, even if it's to currently to avoid the very real prospect of relegation, which is now our immediate sbort term problem.

Long term though, and if VT is still interested, Dalman has to go and be replaced with a proven DOF. I dont understand why VT hasn't identified this after so much time and expense as a result of Dalmans "Football Busines Expert' advice, which has led us to precisely to where we are. Dalmans clear lack of interest & presence, especially now in times of trouble, speaks volumes.

I don't understand dalmans absence from anything to do with city? although it's not unusual for CEO or other board members being absent for years not sure when last time heared anything from tan or Dalman on city matters so it's hard to ascertain anything useful regarding the situation... certainly a dof is required if we are to sort out the mess we have gotten ourselves into...... hopefully at this present time tan and ken are convincing Dalman that MM needs to go and hear the good news in morning..

VTs decision on Monday should be 1. MM gone. 2.Morison in. 3. Dalman relieved of football advice board duties & quickly replaced by a DOF.

It wont completely happen though. Dalman seems to have VTs ear, more than KC, I guess through representing him on previous investment banking transactions. I can see the sort term fixes happening at some point but whilst the snake oil salesman remains, no long term vision and vital long term strategic direction. To save face, Dalman will be telling VT we are an underperming investment and HR Owen and Kenny Rogers Roasters is the way to go.[/quote]

Lets just hope it's the time difference that is delaying mm departure? cannot believe tan would want to keep him after watching todays disaster no matter what Dalman says...

Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:34 pm

All the loan players are out for the season.
So, we are stuck with what we've got till 01/01/22.
We could try
Young and, Gabbs. Maybe Slade and. Trollope
We are due a double act.
Maybe Hughes and Morrison would work. Who knows. Answers on a post card please.

Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:52 pm

The plan for this season was clearly to cut costs as much as possible and survive. However, we’ve cut far too deep and it’s now backfiring. You have to blame the board and the manager for that. After the run of dismal defeats Mick has to go but as people of said, the manager isn’t the only problem.

The team is as weak as I’ve seen it in the championship. We have enough to stay up I think but all the fundamentals are wrong. we quickly need to become more cohesive and resilient. That’s down to the manager. Moore and Giles get injured (or goes back to wolves for the latter) and we’ve no chance. Need to start looking at the youngsters and free agents to address some of the fundamental issue we have with the team, ie lack of pace, no wingers, lack creativity. Not sure it can wait until January.

Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:16 pm

stickywicket wrote:All the loan players are out for the season.
So, we are stuck with what we've got till 01/01/22.
We could try
Young and, Gabbs. Maybe Slade and. Trollope
We are due a double act.
Maybe Hughes and Morrison would work. Who knows. Answers on a post card please.

I read that we can recall our loanees come Xmas but seems that might not be correct?

Anyone enlighten?

Blackpool would be disappointed at losing Wintle and Preston relieved at losing Murphy. I'd welcome the other two back right now, too! :thumbright:

Interesting (TransferMarkt) valuations for each...! :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:26 am

If he couldn’t make it in Cyprus managing a low level team why did the board think he could manage the mighty bluebirds??

Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:37 am

by OliverTwistCymru » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:26 am

If he couldn’t make it in Cyprus managing a low level team why did the board think he could manage the mighty bluebirds??

Because they know nothing about football, he was easy to get, he was probably "relatively" cheap and better than Harris, and because the Ipswich fans had loved him so much, and naturally his style of play.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:46 am

Scoularite wrote:

Because they know nothing about football, he was easy to get, he was probably "relatively" cheap and better than Harris, and because the Ipswich fans had loved him so much, and naturally his style of play.

He should have only been here until end of last season, the club should have then be looking for a manager during remainder of last season to replace him in the summer. But club doesn’t plan well is just reactive rather than proactive

Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:48 am

darran1927 wrote:
Scoularite wrote:

He should have only been here until end of last season, the club should have then be looking for a manager during remainder of last season to replace him in the summer. But club doesn’t plan well is just reactive rather than proactive

It was so obvious it must have been too obvious for our amateur board. It was even what McCarthy suggested on his appointment.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:53 am

OK, should Mick be sacked who would be on our shopping list?

I'd say

Bellamy manager
Bamba assistant

Pulis & giggs both available?

Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:06 am

Llantwit bluebird wrote:OK, should Mick be sacked who would be on our shopping list?

I'd say

Bellamy manager
Bamba assistant

If it was any other period in Bellamy's life then they should beg him to take it, but sadly I don't think he's in the right place even if he wanted it.

Bamba has probably burnt his bridges going to the press with a questionable version of his exit.

Giggs is still Wales manager, until the court case is resolved.

Previously I would have gone for Pullis but he's just the same as McCarthy and Warnock.

Personally, I would like the club to take some time over this. I would be quite happy with them giving it to Steve Morrison for now, the U23s are flying and he's not only got them organised but playing very good football too. Then do some real thinking about who we can, realistically, get.

The problem is that lots of fans are already looking for established managers at Prem or Championship level. Great, but why don't we try someone who is young and ambitious but may not have the track record ?

Maybe Morrison will prove himself in the interim, maybe this is just the job Flynn (Newport) needs, maybe Ainsworth at Wycombe could be tempted, ............................ you could go on.

I just think anything would be better than what we've got now, it's a matter for the club as to whether they play safe with another established manager or have a bit of a longer term plan and try someone "on the up". It would be the latter for me but I guess the fan base will be split on that.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:21 am

Nigel Harris:

Manager way beyond sell by date making a bad thing worse, owner never seen or heard, Chairman who has made inept after inept decision 10 Managers & CEO who jokes with fans about sacking his manager for cheap laughs. That's how embarrassing , unprofessional and shameful we are. @CardiffCityFC

Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:35 am

He won't resign he's a Yorkshire man and wants a pay off to add to his other millions he has. We need a Welsh Manager x Cardiff player someone who cares for the club not someone in to just take the money. Full credit to the Swans took us apart. But don't get to excited we were are a rubbish team. Iv been a Cardiff fan supporter for over 60 years

Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:37 am

piledriver64 wrote:
Llantwit bluebird wrote:OK, should Mick be sacked who would be on our shopping list?

I'd say

Bellamy manager
Bamba assistant

If it was any other period in Bellamy's life then they should beg him to take it, but sadly I don't think he's in the right place even if he wanted it.

Bamba has probably burnt his bridges going to the press with a questionable version of his exit.

Giggs is still Wales manager, until the court case is resolved.

Previously I would have gone for Pullis but he's just the same as McCarthy and Warnock.

Personally, I would like the club to take some time over this. I would be quite happy with them giving it to Steve Morrison for now, the U23s are flying and he's not only got them organised but playing very good football too. Then do some real thinking about who we can, realistically, get.

The problem is that lots of fans are already looking for established managers at Prem or Championship level. Great, but why don't we try someone who is young and ambitious but may not have the track record ?

Maybe Morrison will prove himself in the interim, maybe this is just the job Flynn (Newport) needs, maybe Ainsworth at Wycombe could be tempted, ............................ you could go on.

I just think anything would be better than what we've got now, it's a matter for the club as to whether they play safe with another established manager or have a bit of a longer term plan and try someone "on the up". It would be the latter for me but I guess the fan base will be split on that.

Just to add to what I've said above.

Chopra's suggestion of Mark Hudson seems a pretty good one to me.

He'd certainly be up for it, he said so in a podcast interview a few months back. Time for us to be brave I think.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:05 am

I'd say

Bellamy manager
Bamba assistant

Not stated on here for the first time...

Craig Bellamy will not be back at the CCS under the employ of the current owner

Would be my preferred choice but simply not going to happen

Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:32 am

darran1927 wrote:
Scoularite wrote:

Very few people said that when we were on our charge for the playoffs last year.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:02 pm

maccydee wrote:
darran1927 wrote:
Scoularite wrote:

Very few people said that when we were on our charge for the playoffs last year.

Many did question why he was given a perm contract though before the end of the season, even whilst we were on that run. I said at the time it was crazy as we needed to see how he responded when we hit some bad form…we’ll now we know.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:33 pm

Blue78 wrote:
maccydee wrote:
darran1927 wrote:
Scoularite wrote:

Many did question why he was given a perm contract though before the end of the season, even whilst we were on that run. I said at the time it was crazy as we needed to see how he responded when we hit some bad form…we’ll now we know.

There was alleged interest from Celtic which was likely realistic after the transformative job he did with us.

Had we lost him to Celtic at the end of the season by not giving him a contract there would have been massive criticism of the club.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:06 pm

by maccydee » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:33 pm

Blue78 wrote:
maccydee wrote:
darran1927 wrote:
Scoularite wrote:

There was alleged interest from Celtic which was likely realistic after the transformative job he did with us.

Had we lost him to Celtic at the end of the season by not giving him a contract there would have been massive criticism of the club.

I was relieved when Harris was given the boot and thought that just about any half-decent manager could recover with our squad then. Mick did okay, but I certainly wouldn't have given him another contract and did not write anything supporting his appointment. How many people did?

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:24 pm

The Crazy Train ride of supporting Cardiff City, "Ill be There" even for shit football :bluebird:

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:00 pm

With the benifit of hindsight it is now easy to say MM should not have been given a two year contract but it didn't really look that way at the time. He had done a brilliant job at the start and only some of the more perceptive people on here started to notice how we were falling away towards the end of the season. There was even talk possibly manufactured about other clubs poaching him from us.

In some sort of bizarre way we are unlucky he did so well through new manager effect at the start and half maintained it till the end of the season. The Ipswich fans were right he is an old style dinasour who would be poor for us. Given his utter lack of judgment in recent weeks he is getting worse and we are faced with two stark choices reward his incompetence and give him a big payoff or be relegated. I would prefer the former but am not the one forking out half a million quid. Personally I believe we have a good enough squad to avoid relegation but not under a manager as poor as McCarthy

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:10 pm

Crayfish wrote:With the benifit of hindsight it is now easy to say MM should not have been given a two year contract but it didn't really look that way at the time. He had done a brilliant job at the start and only some of the more perceptive people on here started to notice how we were falling away towards the end of the season. There was even talk possibly manufactured about other clubs poaching him from us.

In some sort of bizarre way we are unlucky he did so well through new manager effect at the start and half maintained it till the end of the season. The Ipswich fans were right he is an old style dinasour who would be poor for us. Given his utter lack of judgment in recent weeks he is getting worse and we are faced with two stark choices reward his incompetence and give him a big payoff or be relegated. I would prefer the former but am not the one forking out half a million quid. Personally I believe we have a good enough squad to avoid relegation but not under a manager as poor as McCarthy

Agree with this.

I think that some of the Celtic talk (if not all) was manufactured. However there certainly wasn’t much outrage when he was given the two year deal. He completely turned performances around.

I cannot fathom what has gone wrong for performances to have bombed so bad and I think it’s a reflection on our players as well as the manager. The back three and midfield is the same that looked so solid last year. How is Bacuna looking so ineffective when he was the opposite last year. There’s not actually much difference in the team.

He suddenly looks bereft of ideas and inspiration.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:27 pm

maccydee wrote:
Crayfish wrote:With the benifit of hindsight it is now easy to say MM should not have been given a two year contract but it didn't really look that way at the time. He had done a brilliant job at the start and only some of the more perceptive people on here started to notice how we were falling away towards the end of the season. There was even talk possibly manufactured about other clubs poaching him from us.

Agree with this.

I think that some of the Celtic talk (if not all) was manufactured. However there certainly wasn’t much outrage when he was given the two year deal. He completely turned performances around.

I cannot fathom what has gone wrong for performances to have bombed so bad and I think it’s a reflection on our players as well as the manager. The back three and midfield is the same that looked so solid last year. How is Bacuna looking so ineffective when he was the opposite last year. There’s not actually much difference in the team.

I feel its the squad he now has. I think there is a big difference without the likes of Wilson and Ojo. We are now playing our school team with aging players, Flint apart. Saying that his 5 cb idea is like rubbing salt into the wound.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:38 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Agree with this.

I feel its the squad he now has. I think there is a big difference without the likes of Wilson and Ojo. We are now playing our school team with aging players, Flint apart. Saying that his 5 cb idea is like rubbing salt into the wound.

Yep many underplayed the impact Wilson had. Maybe it showed how class he actually was.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:10 pm

Fulhams game play will be, give throw ins away in their half, counter attack as our CB are way to slow to get back and our midfield is just as slow or they just cannot be arsed

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:11 pm

I get the feeling hes going to be in charge for Fulham game, surely club would have sacked him by now if they were going to

Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:58 am

ChippyAl wrote:The plan for this season was clearly to cut costs as much as possible and survive. However, we’ve cut far too deep and it’s now backfiring. You have to blame the board and the manager for that. After the run of dismal defeats Mick has to go but as people of said, the manager isn’t the only problem.

The team is as weak as I’ve seen it in the championship. We have enough to stay up I think but all the fundamentals are wrong. we quickly need to become more cohesive and resilient. That’s down to the manager. Moore and Giles get injured (or goes back to wolves for the latter) and we’ve no chance. Need to start looking at the youngsters and free agents to address some of the fundamental issue we have with the team, ie lack of pace, no wingers, lack creativity. Not sure it can wait until January.

I said virtually all this in July & August and got shot down by the same old posters and they have now suddenly disappeared :roll: