Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Huge Improvement and some positives

Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:59 pm

At least we looked more balanced and played some half decent football. On that showing we may be good enough with a coyple of additions, (pace and creativity) to stay in the league.
Also the players gave it a good go.and the players that came in generally did well:
Vaulks did well and worked like a Trojan in the middle.
Mc Guiness again looked a very good player.
Ng played well at full back.
Colwell played well and Evans had a good cameo.

BUT it is a sad indictment of MM s tactics-
1/ why didnt he play that formation during the terrible run of results??
If he had done then things may have been a lot different.
2/ why does he play Pack every game and never substitute him?
(In the old days Shankly used to say the spine of the team is vital. Fair enough. We have Smithies- Mc Guiness and Flynn and Moore upfront, but Our midfield is built around Pack!!)
So long MM and thanks for last season :bluebird:

I

Re: Huge Improvement and some positives

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:19 pm

We did not expect anything from this game so all eyes were on the performance. Yes it was a better performance but could we play any worse than what we have been playing?

Overall I did not see that much improvement to avoid relegation. It obvious we need better players in but are we going to get that. From what I am hearing we stand no chance of that.

Its going to take a special manager to save our season from what I am seeing.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:49 am

We seemed better against Reading as well but in both games we lost and failed to score, it is deeply concerning

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:58 am

We said the exact same thing after reading then the next game he went to a back 5 with holding midfielders and we lost 3-0 to the Jack's.

For me results aside a moment. I like to look at it from. A coaching point of view. Have the players improved at all under mick. The answer is now. They have gotten worse. Our experienced players look alot worse.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:41 am

Definately not a huge improvement,we were playing Fulham not Man City. The best thing was that the youngsters played well but our midfield was awful as usual. Vaulks just seems to run about fouling people these days can't seem to pass the ball and is a liability. Pack is too slow and keeps on getting caught in possession I can hardly remember us stringing more than four passes together once in the game. The two wide players did ok paticularly Colwill but they were out wide and there was little support for Moore from midfield as usual.

We had a reasonable start and a good 10 minute spell when we were 2-0 down but were otherwise poor. Did just enough for MM to come up with some bull about how we will beat worse teams. Trouble is we are the worst team in the division so who are worse than us.

Not matter how bad we get even if we are bottom of the league McCarthy isn't going anywhere till he gets his huge payoff. Whole thing is a bit of a disaster.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:41 am

Definitely played better and bar some good defending and a great save by the Fulham keeper we would have (finally) scored. We can survive this season and I firmly believe we will survive as I do think Tans hand will be forced to invest in January and hopefully a new manager will address the lack of a midfield and wingers that we have. Mick has to go though, the improved performances still haven't given us a point or even a goal so they mean nothing. I expect us to surprise Boro on Saturday and grind out a win as we have all seen it before when a team is on a run like this it has to end...but Micks time is up.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:03 pm

I'd like to see a 4-4-2 formation with Giles dropping back a bit into m/f where he just might see more of the ball and starting with 2 up front.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:25 pm

mjw6150 wrote:We seemed better against Reading as well but in both games we lost and failed to score, it is deeply concerning

As they say when down at bottom teams never get any luck? Reading one shot goal but we did everything else but put ball in net only because of bad finishing and their goalie.... ladt night 2 inches was difference between goal and not but was fantastic save all the same? flint missed golden opportunity Moore it post they blocked two certain goals ? While we probably still would have lost last night a goal makes all the difference.....if we had scored in either game result could have been so different but such are the fine margins in football..... what reading
and last night showed we are capable of attacking teams given
better tactics we had 15 shots last night but mick still needs to go. :old:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:57 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:We did not expect anything from this game so all eyes were on the performance. Yes it was a better performance but could we play any worse than what we have been playing?

Overall I did not see that much improvement to avoid relegation. It obvious we need better players in but are we going to get that. From what I am hearing we stand no chance of that.

Aren’t even in the relegation zone.

Isn’t that what was said in Malky’s premier league season??

Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:19 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:I'd like to see a 4-4-2 formation with Giles dropping back a bit into m/f where he just might see more of the ball and starting with 2 up front.

I’d also like to see him play on his natural side. He was on the right all night last night - Colwill was getting the upper hand on their right back in the first half…if Giles had been there we might have had more success.

He has such a wicked left foot that crosses from that side would be much better for Moore, rather than Giles have to cut inside all of the time.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:24 pm

maccydee wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:We did not expect anything from this game so all eyes were on the performance. Yes it was a better performance but could we play any worse than what we have been playing?

one place above the relegation zone and that is thanks to a 12 point deduction. 7 straight loses 1 goal 17 17 against and here is you giving the impression everything is fine. :banghead:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:32 pm

Crayfish wrote:Definately not a huge improvement,we were playing Fulham not Man City. The best thing was that the youngsters played well but our midfield was awful as usual. Vaulks just seems to run about fouling people these days can't seem to pass the ball and is a liability. Pack is too slow and keeps on getting caught in possession I can hardly remember us stringing more than four passes together once in the game. The two wide players did ok paticularly Colwill but they were out wide and there was little support for Moore from midfield as usual.

We had a reasonable start and a good 10 minute spell when we were 2-0 down but were otherwise poor. Did just enough for MM to come up with some bull about how we will beat worse teams. Trouble is we are the worst team in the division so who are worse than us.

Not matter how bad we get even if we are bottom of the league McCarthy isn't going anywhere till he gets his huge payoff. Whole thing is a bit of a disaster.

The worst team, and the worst squad. Since the end of last season, we've lost 6 players who despite their relative shortcomings, could arguably considered our 6 most skillful players.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:07 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
maccydee wrote:

one place above the relegation zone and that is thanks to a 12 point deduction. 7 straight loses 1 goal 17 17 against and here is you giving the impression everything is fine. :banghead:

Nice of you to put my thoughts out there. Quite clearly all is not ok. He’s tactically inept. I said that after 5 at the back v the Jacks.

All I am pointing out is that we are not yet in the relegation zone so if he is sacked before that happens then I hope he gets the same as Malky in that we were never actually in the relegation zone.

Personally I think if Mick stays we are likely to be close to if not go down unless there’s a dramatic turnaround. But I felt that about Malky too.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:13 pm

Must be the only club in history where, for whatever reason, the Directors planned to get their club relegated. If they didn’t, and these are the standards they have set, then they probably shouldn’t be running a football club.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:12 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Must be the only club in history where, for whatever reason, the Directors planned to get their club relegated. If they didn’t, and these are the standards they have set, then they probably shouldn’t be running a football club.

Absolutely didn’t plan on that.

You have heard of FFP haven’t you?

Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:30 pm

maccydee wrote:
rumpo kid wrote:Must be the only club in history where, for whatever reason, the Directors planned to get their club relegated. If they didn’t, and these are the standards they have set, then they probably shouldn’t be running a football club.

On here it seems like you are swimming against an incoming tide with a 10mph current at times.. trying to get across an opinion
:mrgreen:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:51 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
maccydee wrote:

On here it seems like you are swimming against an incoming tide with a 10mph current at times.. trying to get across an opinion

Absolutely right.

I especially love people forming my opinion for me.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:14 pm

maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Absolutely right.

There was an improvement not least we had 15 shots t goal and bit luck would and should have scored? and we did play better than when we play 5 full backs ... not brilliant but better.... the positives we did take game to them in small periods cannot say that about previous games with 5 man defense.... guess to some we were crap and as bad as last 6 games c :o

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:21 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Absolutely right.

There was an improvement not least we had 15 shots t goal and bit luck would and should have scored? and we did play better than when we play 5 full backs ... not brilliant but better.... the positives we did take game to them in small periods cannot say that about previous games with 5 man defense.... guess to some we were crap and as bad as last 6 games c :o

Play like that there will be three teams worse than us.

Probably more actually. New manager would have us mid table I think.

It’s not great relying on so many youngsters but it is what it is. Two of them are now wales internationals.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:40 pm

maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Absolutely right.

Play like that there will be three teams worse than us.

Probably more actually. New manager would have us mid table I think.

It’s not great relying on so many youngsters but it is what it is. Two of them are now wales internationals.

It is what it is but I feel a lit of the problem is players like bacuna playing out position and in a system that doesnt suit them ? On occasions he as been the only player driving forward until colwill came along..... a new manager will see the problem and sort it that's for sure.... in other words keep mick we are in trouble get someone in and we'll be safe well not in bottom 3 come end season.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:50 pm

maccydee wrote:

Other clubs manage to comply without a farcical first team. So its something else.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:56 pm

rumpo kid wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Other clubs manage to comply without a farcical first team. So its something else.

Like Derby, Reading, Sheff Wed?

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:01 pm

Knew you'd set the standard high..

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:19 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Knew you'd set the standard high..

The season is not over plenty time for clubs to report problems plus ffp wont hit some clubs until next season? all this is to do with paying silly money for players and wages which is fault of both managers involved and board for authorising such deals..... other clubs been cost cutting for awhile certainly before city started theirs and couple have gone down in process.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:49 am

Our 'best' performances during this shocking run have happened when he hasn't crammed as many defensive players into the team as possible. Strange that. Too little too late now though.