Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING MICK McCARTHY: 'FRIDAY 22ND OCTOBER 2021'

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:21 pm

:bluebird: :bluebird: MICK McCARTHY UPDATES CARDIFF CITY FANS “ :bluebird: :bluebird:

Friday 22nd October 2021

Mick will be looking for his first win after seven defeats in a row and one goal scored the worst Cardiff City run since 1933.

City have had 9 defeats from their last 10 games.

Mick is up against ex Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock still loved by many City fans.

MICK McCARTHY:

Do you think it’s the manager’s job to produce an entertaining brand of football?

When you’re winning… I’ve never been sacked for winning games.

McCarthy

Spoken to top brass?

Whatever I’ve done it remains between me and anyone else

McCarthy

Played well but didn’t win at Fulham?

Maybe if we’d won four or five on the bounce then Kieffer Moore’s shot would have gone in the top corner!

But they’re a very good side. They’ll be in the top two or three.

McCarthy

What can you change?

You can only prepare the players. We have changed things.

We need to make sure the players are motivated and get a performance out of them all.

McCarthy

:bluebird: :bluebird: “ READ BELOW ALL MICK McCARTHY’S UPDATES “ :bluebird: :bluebird:

Managed more than 1,000 games, can you put into perspective how difficult it is now?

If you let everything bother you then your life will be difficult as well.

It’s trying to find the answer and getting the result.

At the moment we’re not doing that, so it’s tough.

McCarthy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MICK McCARTHY:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:22 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

What can you change?

You can only prepare the players. We have changed things.

We need to make sure the players are motivated and get a performance out of them all.

McCarthy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:23 pm

Tuesday Aug 24 Cardiff 0 Brighton 2 :cry: League Cup Rd 2 Crowd 6,013 Away Support ( 492)

Sat Aug 28 Cardiff City 1 Bristol City 2 :cry: :cry: Crowd 20,891 Away Support ( 2,440)

Sunday Sep 12 Nottingham Forest 1 Cardiff City 2 Crowd 24,153 Away Support ( 1,668) :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Sep 15 Coventry City 1 Cardiff City 0 :cry: :cry: Crowd Away Support ( 1,277)

Sat Sep 18 Cardiff City 0 A.F.C. Bournemouth 1 :cry: :cry: Crowd 19,090 Away Support (1,452)

Sat Sep 25 Blackburn Rovers 5 Cardiff City 1 Crowd 11,670 Away (940) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Tue Sep 28 Cardiff City 0 West Bromwich Albion 4 Crowd 17,363 Away Support 1,680 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sat Oct 2 Cardiff City 0 Reading 1 :cry: :cry: :cry: Crowd 18,400 Away Support ( 1,560)

Sunday 17th October Swansea City 3 Cardiff City 0 :cry: :cry: :cry: (Sky Sports) £30,000 for Cardiff City Crowd Away Support (1,474)

Wednesday 20th October Fulham 2 Cardiff City 0 :cry: –Crowd 15,789 Away ( )

Sat 23rd October Middlesbrough (H) – 12:30pm, (Sky Sports) £150,000 for Cardiff City :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sat Oct 30 Stoke City A

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:23 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

You and Warnock are examples of people who have been through everything?

Yes we have. He has done it about 500 games more than I have.

I have the utmost respect for Warny.

We enjoy it. We enjoy it more when we are winning and getting results.

We both still enjoy coming in, training and interacting with the players. Enjoy it when it’s going right.

McCarthy

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:24 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

How can you enjoy the last six or seven weeks?

I still enjoy coming in training and doing the job. That part of it is enjoyable.

Then you have to put it into perspective. Enjoy your life and your job and try to turn it around, get the result.

McCarthy

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:24 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Mick McCarthy sides are ‘horrible’ usually, same as Warnock, how do you see tomorrow?

Sadly, teams have been enjoying playing against my team for six or seven games!

I’d like to get back to the fact that Boro don’t like playing against us.

We have both been around a long time and expect things from teams we manage. We have had success with it.

We will be doing the same again tomorrow.

McCarthy

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:25 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Any more nervous going into the game tomorrow?

No, I’m not.

I can’t do anything about that. I’ve learned not to let that affect me.

I do my best. I’ve got a great support network, family, kids, grandkids, my mates.

It’s tough, but you’ve got to carry on with your life.

So, no, I don’t feel any more nervous at all.

McCarthy

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:26 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Tough period, what’s the mood like?

The mood is OK.

I maintain my consistency in how I behave and how I treat people.

If we win I’m not singing and dancing, and if not I’m not sulking.

They are not walking around on eggshells with me!

The mood in the camp is good and if not we wouldn’t have got that performance at Fulham.

McCarthy

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:27 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

How hard is it to block all the noise out given the pressure?

I don’t listen to the noise!

I don’t go looking to see what people are writing on me or listening to sports programmes talking about what’s happening at Cardiff.

So that keeps me immune.

When I’m at the stadium, I get it. If you’re winning you get the plaudits, if not, you get the stick. I get that, I’ve been doing it long enough.

Mick McCarthy

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:27 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Players culpable?

I do take the can.

I’m not laying any blame at the players. They go out and do what I ask them to do to the best of their ability.

If it doesn’t work out then I take it as the manager.

McCarthy

Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:21 am

MICK McCARTHY:

Can you tinker this week?

We’ve not got a biggish squad, its small compared to many other Championship clubs.

Joe Ralls, Leandro Bacuna, Tom Sang, Sam Bowen, Joel Bagan, some of them are out, some have knocks. Some have had two games and are carrying tight hamstrings and that.

There are a couple who might not make it.

Mick McCarthy

Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:28 am

MICK McCARTHY:

Win or bust?

I can’t answer that question. I just prepare for the game. I just concentrate on the game.

If I can get a performance out of the lads, then we can win the game. If we don’t, I’ll be at the end of another defeat and I’ll be in trouble, won’t I?

Everybody else keeps building it up as my last game, I’ve no idea, I can’t tell you.

McCarthy

Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:04 am

MICK McCARTHY:

Warnock will love it tomorrow in front of Cardiff fans?

"He should get a hero’s welcome. I’m sure he will get a better welcome than I will, that’s for sure.

He deserves it as well and had a great rapport with them.

Sol is coming back as well, another hero of the club.

It’s one of those days and it’s up to us to pull the plug on all that excitement for them and beat them."

Mick McCarthy

Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:05 am

MICK McCARTHY:

Players better than what they are showing?

The manager takes responsibility. I’m not going to start blaming the team.

Me sitting here and starting to do that would be completely against the grain. The players need to be motivated tomorrow. That’s the most important thing.

McCarthy

Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:07 am

MICK McCARTHY:

Do you feel you are in a relegation battle or is the squad too good to go down?

If you ask me now then we are, aren’t we?

Whether that continues or not it’s down to me and the players to get out of it.

McCarthy

Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:08 am

MICK McCARTHY:

James Rowberry, advice for him?

If James wants any advice from me he has got my number.

He is a real student of the game, he has a real presence about him and a lovely young man.

I was 32 when I started management. I actively encouraged him and I’m thrilled for him.

I sincerely hope he does well.

It’s different from coaching. He’ll be ready for it!

McCarthy

Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:42 am

The pre-Boro fact bulletin

Cardiff City are unbeaten in their last six league games against Middlesbrough (W4 D2) since losing 3-1 back in February 2016 under Russell Slade.

Middlesbrough are winless in four away league matches against Cardiff (D1 L3) since a 1-0 win in 2014-15 and have only scored once in those four winless games.

Cardiff have lost their last five home matches in all competitions, their worst losing run since October 1974, which was also a run of five. The Bluebirds have never lost six consecutive home matches in a row.

Middlesbrough have failed to score in four of their last five away Championship matches (W1 D1 L3), winning the other 2-0 at Nottingham Forest. They haven’t failed to score in three consecutive away Championship matches since January 2015.

In five away league matches at the Cardiff City Stadium, current Middlesbrough manager Neil Warnock is winless (D4 L1), with only Gary Rowett and Nigel Clough (six each) managing more there as an away manager without winning.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:43 am

MICK McCARTHY:

Been in tough spots before, how tough a spot is this?

Exceptionally tough.

We have lost seven games on the trot, it would be bonkers for me to say anything else!

We have got Middlesbrough on Saturday, we have got to try and win this game.

McCarthy

Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:28 am

MICK McCARTHY:

Managed more than 1,000 games, can you put into perspective how difficult it is now?

If you let everything bother you then your life will be difficult as well.

It’s trying to find the answer and getting the result.

At the moment we’re not doing that, so it’s tough.

McCarthy

Re: BREAKING MICK McCARTHY:

Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:31 am

Played well but didn’t win at Fulham?

Maybe if we’d won four or five on the bounce then Kieffer Moore’s shot would have gone in the top corner!

But they’re a very good side. They’ll be in the top two or three.

McCarthy

Re: BREAKING MICK McCARTHY: 'FRIDAY 22ND OCTOBER 2021'

Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:53 am

What do you do to make that break and get that bit of luck?

When it’s going for you it keeps going for you, when it’s not it goes against you.

When you get a bit of a break in a game it can change momentum.

You just have to keep going, otherwise you’ll be in more trouble.

Mick McCarthy

Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:58 am

Fans wondering whether to come watch the game, what would you say, defensive, five centre-backs?

"I have to be honest, I haven’t enjoyed watching it, because we've not played very well, except for Reading and Fulham – and we lost in both games there. But that’s their choice. They are the supporters of the club. I can’t make them come down. I'll try to make sure we get a good performance.

"I can't make us win, but I can try and get a better performance out of the team so we do win. If they are here I hope they enjoy it. If not, I hope we do enough to entice them to come back"

Mick McCarthy

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:00 am

Spoken to top brass?

Whatever I’ve done it remains between me and anyone else

McCarthy

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:02 am

Isaac Vassell, will he play for Cardiff again?

I hope so, but he has had an operation on his thigh. That’s put him back, considerably.

McCarthy

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:05 am

Vassell Out for months?

I’m not going to say anything about that. That’s for the physios.

He was really upset with it. As we all were.

In pre-season he looked good and I thought we were going to get a turn out of him, which would have been great because he’s a good player.

I feel really sad for him.

He’s trying to keep his own spirits up and we are trying to do that as well. It’s been really tough for him

Mick McCarthy

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:05 am

Lee Tomlin, can you tell us how that decision came about?

No, not this morning. I’m dealing with the Middlesbrough game.

Mick McCarthy

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:06 am

Against Fulham, dropped captain, how did Morrison take that?

He’s not happy about it. I’ve not seen a player who is happy to be dropped or left out.

But he took it like the bloke he is and he was around the players and encouraging the players.

I was really impressed and thanked him for how he handled himself. He was very good.

Mick McCarthy

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:08 am

Mark McGuinness came in, happy with him?

Mark McGuinness is going to be a really top player, there’s no doubt about that.

I was asked about Sol Bamba and when I spoke to him I was in the process of signing Mark McGuinness.

He has to be the future as an under-21 player, as opposed to a 36-year-old player.

Whatever people are thinking about my reign and me, that is a damn good signing.

He will be a really good player for the club and I hope he is one to drive the club forward. If not, I think he will be worth a hell of a lot of money in some time to come.

McCarthy

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:27 am

Boro have failed to score in four of their last five away league games, so the ex-Cardiff boss may could always spring a surprise and alter formation slightly.

Former Bluebirds favourites Sol Bamba and Peltier, who only missed the Peterborough win because of suspension, seem certain to start at the back.

Warnock has seven first team players out injured for the Cardiff game.