Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

'I'll be in trouble, won't I?' Cardiff boss Mick McCarthy

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:18 am

'I'll be in trouble, won't I?' Cardiff City boss Mick McCarthy makes admission over his future ahead of huge Middlesbrough clash

Former Bluebirds boss Neil Warnock returns to Cardiff City Stadium this weekend with current manager Mick McCarthy under huge pressure to produce a result after seven straight losses

Friday 22nd October 2021

Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy admits that he will be "in trouble" if his side loses an eighth straight game when Middlesbrough visit this weekend.

The Bluebirds lost their seventh successive game on Wednesday night, losing 2-0 to Fulham at Craven Cottage, which has seen the pressure pile on McCarthy this week.

For many, the manager's position is untenable now, regardless of what happens against Boro on Saturday.

It seems rather unthinkable, however, that the club would allow him to continue as manager if he loses an eighth game in a row.

And while the manager said that the situation regarding his future is not in his hands, he admitted that a defeat against Cardiff hero Warnock would present him an almighty problem.

MICK McCARTHY:

"I can’t answer that question," McCarthy said in his pre-match press conference when asked if the game is win or bust. "I just prepare for the game. I just concentrate on the game.

"If I can get a performance out of the lads, then we can win the game. If we don’t, I’ll be at the end of another defeat and I’ll be in trouble, won’t I?

"Everybody else keeps building it up as my last game, I’ve no idea, I can’t tell you."

The atmosphere among the fan base has turned incredibly sour this week, after defeats by arch-rivals Swansea City and Marco Silva's Fulham, and the discontent has been voiced loudly.

McCarthy quipped that his opposite number Warnock would "get a better welcome than I will" this weekend, with the latter's miraculous exploits in the Welsh capital now a distant memory.

It has left some supporters disillusioned and consequently not wanting to go to the stadium this weekend, especially after negative tactics and some questionable team selection in recent weeks.

When asked about to give a message to Cardiff fans potentially considering not turning up this weekend due to drab football, McCarthy replied: "I have to be honest, I haven’t enjoyed watching it, because we've not played very well, except for Reading and Fulham – and we lost in both games there.

"But that’s their choice. They are the supporters of the club. I can’t make them come down.

"I'll try to make sure we get a good performance. I can't make us win, but I can try and get a better performance out of the team so we do win.

"If they are here I hope they enjoy it. If not, I hope we do enough to entice them to come back."

When asked if it was the manager's job to produce entertaining football, McCarthy simply replied: "I've never been sacked for winning games. Ever."

Cardiff welcome Boro for a 12.30pm kick-off this Saturday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: 'I'll be in trouble, won't I?' Cardiff boss Mick McCarth

Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:27 pm

McCarthy quipped that his opposite number Warnock would "get a better welcome than I will" this weekend, with the latter's miraculous exploits in the Welsh capital now a distant memory.

yes Mick you are right - the reason being Warnock used to acknowledge the crowd. I dont recall Mick doing that - oter than walking down the tunnel. Warnock used to have kids waiting for him to arrive on match days - and he would always have time to stop and chat. Little things mean a lot to kids and fans.

It's too late now though - the moment has gone, 8 or 9 defeats or whatever the stat is - most decent managers would have quit and made the decision to let someone else have a go. He's too far gone now, god knows what the team formation will be tomorrow I'd go for the 1 8 11.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:58 pm

Nice pay off for him for xmas. Why would he worry. Fickle world football.

Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:35 am

At this point its just a case of when.