Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BLUEBIRD CHAIRMAN TALKS CLUB FINANCIAL POSITION

Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:18 pm

Cardiff City chairman Mehmet Dalman says the club is actively seeking to refinance.
BBC Sport

Dalman said the club's owner, Malaysian businessman Vincent Tan, remained committed to a team currently struggling in the Championship.

But he said the club was facing "multi-dimensional challenges" including finances, legal cases and poor results on the pitch.

"We need money. The pandemic has hit us hard and has hit Malaysia hard," Dalman said.

"The pandemic hit us hard because there's no revenue apart from what we get at the gate and no one has taken pay cuts throughout the pandemic.

"It's a difficult time and we need to bring extra finances to bridge the gap and we're in the process of doing that
."

Dalman was speaking prior to Cardiff's 2-0 defeat at home to Middlesbrough on Saturday, an eighth straight loss that is the worst run in the club's history and saw manager Mick McCarthy and his assistant Terry Connor leave the club "by mutual agreement and with immediate effect".

The chairman insisted Tan was committed to the club and said: "This financing is on the back of his neck, it's his money that's going to be utilised to do that.

"He's fully committed, he's always said he's committed to the club and wants to leave the club in good shape but we have no plans to leave the club
."

Cardiff went into Saturday's home game against Middlesbrough on the back of seven successive defeats and only one place above the relegation zone.

Dalman has been club chairman for 10 years and described the current time as the most difficult of his period at the helm.

"We've got multi-dimensional challenges," Dalman told BBC Sport Wales.

"On the legal side we've got the Emiliano Sala case coming up with CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport) and a couple of ex-directors' legal cases.

"Obviously results are not going our way so there's pressure.

"The football's not great, the finances are not great and the legal side's not great, and we need to navigate through this and we will navigate through this.

"There's a lot of effort being put in but we didn't expect the football side to take so much of our time and attention, but it's time we focused on it and we are focusing on it.

"Results always matter. The club will always do what's right for the club
."

But Dalman emphasised once again, as he had done during the summer, that there would be no money available for new players when the transfer window reopens in January.

"There's still no money - we'll do the best we can," he added.

Re: BLUEBIRD CHAIRMAN TALKS CLUB FINANCIAL POSITION

Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:26 am

If they were better at 'the football side' the finances wouldn't be so dire! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:33 am

So the same as every other team in the football league then? The majority of them not having had our income over the previous years, and the majority ( outside the premiership and top Championship) not having the crowds we ( used to) get.

Our wounds are self inflicted by in fighting and wrong decisions.

This statement is negative personified. Saying we are looking for finance, then saying there is still no money for players in January??

The man has not an ounce of empathy with the supporters.

Its a slap in the face to say that the current ownership, that are currently unable to manage the financial situation, have no intention of walking away.

So it's more of the same for the future. That's really going to entice the crowds back, and enhance our already ruined reputation.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:45 am

Covid effected every club, every business and every household.
Dalman been chairman for ten years according to the article which I would have thought long enough for these other matters to now only be remaining because of him and owner.
When was the last time he attended a fixture before yesterday?

Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:45 am

Didnt expect the football to take up so much of their attention? They do realise they are running a football club? Wish dalman had pissed off to Charlton. The club should have cut him off when the sale fell through. Clearly doesn't care about the club.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:46 am

If he had a track record of telling the truth I’d think that was quite a positive statement. I did say ‘if’ though.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:51 am

Barclay1 wrote:So the same as every other team in the football league then? The majority of them not having had our income over the previous years, and the majority ( outside the premiership and top Championship) not having the crowds we ( used to) get.

This statement is negative personified. Saying we are looking for finance, then saying there is still no money for players in January??

Its a slap in the face to say that the current ownership, that are currently unable to manage the financial situation, have no intention of walking away.

So it's more of the same for the future. That's really going to entice the crowds back, and enhance our already ruined reputation.

Some might say that by not walking away, they aren’t leaving the club in the lurch and flushing it down the pan. There is little/no money to be made so it would be easy for them to stop throwing good money after bad.

People complain when Dalman isn’t visible and then slate him when he speaks. What he said yesterday is not what any of us want to hear (in terms of finances), but he hasn’t sugar coated or tried to spin anything. No club (apart from the PL and those with parachute payments have got any money), but they probably hasn’t got the scale of legal cases hanging over them.

I agree with your point on empathy and it is clear that the club are at a crossroads - one thing that they might consider at this crossroads is how the board build a better connectivity but also the right one.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:26 am

Blue78 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:So the same as every other team in the football league then? The majority of them not having had our income over the previous years, and the majority ( outside the premiership and top Championship) not having the crowds we ( used to) get.

Some might say that by not walking away, they aren’t leaving the club in the lurch and flushing it down the pan. There is little/no money to be made so it would be easy for them to stop throwing good money after bad.

People complain when Dalman isn’t visible and then slate him when he speaks. What he said yesterday is not what any of us want to hear (in terms of finances), but he hasn’t sugar coated or tried to spin anything. No club (apart from the PL and those with parachute payments have got any money), but they probably hasn’t got the scale of legal cases hanging over them.

I agree with your point on empathy and it is clear that the club are at a crossroads - one thing that they might consider at this crossroads is how the board build a better connectivity but also the right one.

True and point taken to your first paragraph.

The legal cases referred to are all self inflicted and due, in my personal opinion, to the downright stubbornness of VT.

Dalman has not sugarcoated it, you are right. What he has said is we cannot cope or deal with this, we can't get out of this mess and things won't get better. If that's the case, actively try and sell, and 1. dont let personal grudges restrict your doing market 2. Dont ask a fortune for a club clearly spiralling out of control on all fronts.

I watch football for entertainment, excitement, goals, wins and signs of progression. Out of those 5 how many are we getting? None.

I really cant think of another club whose fans have had to put up with as much as the long suffering City fans this season.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:45 am

:thumbright: No money is rife in football at moment only need to take look at what was spent in summer window...how many clubs have admitted theres no money for players or what the financial state of club is? Dont be surprised at end season see more come out into open about financial trouble with only parachute clubs doing any deals even then it be minimal because they would have kept most of players to help promotion push like seen past two seasons which will limits other cl getting up 6 place... as for us next season if stay up 10 players out contract we shall not be renuing most of them but by same token we will not replace them with 10 academy players ..... whoever comes in will have blank canvas player wise lets just hope club choose right manager to make most of opportunity to change way we play and change culture at club....
Plenty clubs with years of suffering because of dodgy owners in relation to them our troubles are small so far.
Last edited by pembroke allan on Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:45 am

Protest with our feet and don't go?

Do they take our loyalty for granted?

Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:54 am

pembroke allan wrote::thumbright: No money is rife in football at moment only need to take look at what was spent in summer window...how many clubs have admitted theres no money for players or what the financial state of club is? Dont be surprised at end season see more come out into open about financial trouble with only parachute clubs doing any deals even then it be minimal because they would have kept most of players to help promotion push like seen past two seasons which will limits other cl getting up 6 place... as for us next season if stay up 10 players out contract we shall not be renuing most of them but by same token we will not replace them with 10 academy players ..... whoever comes in will have blank canvas player wise lets just hope club choose right manager to make most of opportunity to change way we play and change culture at club....
Plenty clubs with years of suffering because of dodgy owners in relation to them our troubles are small so far.

To an extent of course you are right, but I really don't get it. Clubs that have no parachutes have spent very well in the summer. Swansea paid over £1M for Piroe, QPR splashed the cash, Stoke paid out o er £5M for Surridge. Brum shelled out significant wages for the Man U loanee and Deeney. Look at each club and honestly tell me there is no money in football at the moment. Even my friends Luton shelled out decent wages for a number of good freebies.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:59 am

The pandemic hit us hard because there's no revenue apart from what we get at the gate and no one has taken pay cuts throughout the pandemic.

Is that statement actually true? Surely our club, unlike many other Championship clubs, received PL parachute payments of around £70m for season 2019-20 and 2020-21. I accept that the money has gone paying wages and other running costs but please don't say there was NO REVENUE, it's simply not true.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:07 am

BigBearBlue1974 wrote:Protest with our feet and don't go?

Do they take our loyalty for granted?

Looking around at the stands, voting with the feat thing has happened.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:15 am

Barclay1 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote::thumbright: No money is rife in football at moment only need to take look at what was spent in summer window...how many clubs have admitted theres no money for players or what the financial state of club is? Dont be surprised at end season see more come out into open about financial trouble with only parachute clubs doing any deals even then it be minimal because they would have kept most of players to help promotion push like seen past two seasons which will limits other cl getting up 6 place... as for us next season if stay up 10 players out contract we shall not be renuing most of them but by same token we will not replace them with 10 academy players ..... whoever comes in will have blank canvas player wise lets just hope club choose right manager to make most of opportunity to change way we play and change culture at club....

To an extent of course you are right, but I really don't get it. Clubs that have no parachutes have spent very well in the summer. Swansea paid over £1M for Piroe, QPR splashed the cash, Stoke paid out o er £5M for Surridge. Brum shelled out significant wages for the Man U loanee and Deeney. Look at each club and honestly tell me there is no money in football at the moment. Even my friends Luton shelled out decent wages for a number of good freebies.

clubs have been cost cutting for couple of years but
There is money but its very limited think 5m payed by Bournemouth was biggest in championship along with stoke who are not afraid to pay out.... any loan player cost only what parent club wants sometimes nothing so hard to gauge cost to clubs? as for Swansea mmmm lost a £80k a week player so 1m relative cheap alternative... personally I gave up on city financial affairs it seems to be all smoke and mirrors for that reason take no notice..... in summer because loans are limited to a couple of players wont be enough to fill gap with upto 20 leaving so freebies will be way forward..... and depending on who new manager is could well decide what players come here loan or freebies? And no I don't understand what's gone on regarding parachute payments because all we get to see is accounts 1 year in arrears .... glad I'm just a supporter and just have the football to worry about :mrgreen:

Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:29 am

Lazy scouting and structure is the problem. Brentford are a good example. Use the loan market wisely.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:41 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:

clubs have been cost cutting for couple of years but
There is money but its very limited think 5m payed by Bournemouth was biggest in championship along with stoke who are not afraid to pay out.... any loan player cost only what parent club wants sometimes nothing so hard to gauge cost to clubs? as for Swansea mmmm lost a £80k a week player so 1m relative cheap alternative... personally I gave up on city financial affairs it seems to be all smoke and mirrors for that reason take no notice..... in summer because loans are limited to a couple of players wont be enough to fill gap with upto 20 leaving so freebies will be way forward..... and depending on who new manager is could well decide what players come here loan or freebies? And no I don't understand what's gone on regarding parachute payments because all we get to see is accounts 1 year in arrears .... glad I'm just a supporter and just have the football to worry about :mrgreen:

Ps main reason we got no money in relation to other clubs is we've paid ott for players and wages compared to others hopefully that will not happen again plus freebie players now have to be realistic about wages or they won't get a club so we could benefit from this hugely.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:55 am

Barclay1 wrote:
Blue78 wrote:

True and point taken to your first paragraph.

The legal cases referred to are all self inflicted and due, in my personal opinion, to the downright stubbornness of VT.

Dalman has not sugarcoated it, you are right. What he has said is we cannot cope or deal with this, we can't get out of this mess and things won't get better. If that's the case, actively try and sell, and 1. dont let personal grudges restrict your doing market 2. Dont ask a fortune for a club clearly spiralling out of control on all fronts.

I watch football for entertainment, excitement, goals, wins and signs of progression. Out of those 5 how many are we getting? None.

I really cant think of another club whose fans have had to put up with as much as the long suffering City fans this season.

The legal cases aren’t self inflicted though are they:
Sala - a tragic situation and as the current court case is showing, the club are right to make sure that all bases are covered.
Sam - they are both as bad as each other and acting like children.
Issac - again, what is self inflicted about this?

Where had Dalman said ‘we can’t cope, can’t deal with this or can’t get out of this’. His direct quote talks about refinancing and seeking extra investment?

Of course this season has been rubbish (which isn’t long suffering BTW and Derby fans might suggest they have it worse), but let’s see what happens now Mick has gone. The board don’t make the manager wait until 80 minutes when 2-0 down to make 2 subs, play 5 CBs, don’t have midfielders getting up to support strikers etc.

The biggest mistake they made this season is not getting rid of him 4 games ago…and last season giving him the job in the first place.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:56 am

Two years ago 40 million parachute payments, last year 35 million parachute payments (75 million) compare this to the average championship team Mr. Chairman.
This is without mentioning the government help during covid with furlough payments etc.
We should without doubt be in a far better financial situation and higher up the table than most championship sides in this pandemic year.
Good luck to MM, I don't believe he spent a single dollar on players at the club but yes "HIS OWN TACTICS LET HIM & US DOWN" let this be a lesson to our football club, many people at the top need to take note when appointing the next team manager.
"FOOTBALL IS CHANGING FAST" All the sides at the top of their leagues have one thing in common "The style of football played"
During the parachute payment, we should have purchased and retained senior players who looked comfortable on the ball and could retain the ball and then slowly bring our local academy kids to play alongside them.
The likes of Pack, Vaulks, Vassell & Bacuna need to be replaced and quickly shipped up to the very man who signed them - Mr. Warnock at Boro.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:03 am

[quote="ccfcbiker"]Two years ago 40 million parachute payments, last year 35 million parachute payments (75 million) compare this to the average championship team Mr. Chairman.
This is without mentioning the government help during covid with furlough payments etc.
We should without doubt be in a far better financial situation and higher up the table than most championship sides in this pandemic year.
Good luck to MM, I don't believe he spent a single dollar on players at the club but yes "HIS OWN TACTICS LET HIM & US DOWN" let this be a lesson to our football club, many people at the top need to take note when appointing the next team manager.
"FOOTBALL IS CHANGING FAST" All the sides at the top of their leagues have one thing in common "The style of football played"
During the parachute payment, we should have purchased and retained senior players who looked comfortable on the ball and could retain the ball and then slowly bring our local academy kids to play alongside them.
The likes of Pack, Vaulks, Vassell & Bacuna need to be replaced and quickly shipped up to the very man who signed them - Mr. Warnock at Boro.[/quote

All the players had their full wages paid by the club, as for all the other staff the amount of money coming in for furlough was negligable :thumbup:

Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:03 am

If Dalman really knows that income from supporters is vital then he should also know that not having a balanced squad that can at least compete they will lose supporters, and we get relegated there will be a lot less income next season.

So his statement that there will be no money for players in the next window is crazy. Anyone who sees us play can see that our squad is not balanced and we really need something in midfield (possibly a loan) to prevent relegation and keep the fans.

It would be interesting to see how our wage bill compares with the other teams in the championship.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:07 am

My opinion for whats its worth is that they were more interested in the summer on the financial spreadsheet than the playing squad.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:09 am

Scoularite wrote:If Dalman really knows that income from supporters is vital then he should also know that not having a balanced squad that can at least compete they will lose supporters, and we get relegated there will be a lot less income next season.

So his statement that there will be no money for players in the next window is crazy. Anyone who sees us play can see that our squad is not balanced and we really need something in midfield (possibly a loan) to prevent relegation and keep the fans.

It would be interesting to see how our wage bill compares with the other teams in the championship.

We are suffering financially, but 12 players out of contract and i can see 10 of those leaving. We will definitely have some money to spend in January!

Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:12 am

fred keenor wrote:My opinion for whats its worth is that they were more interested in the summer on the financial spreadsheet than the playing squad.

Probably right books took eye off ball.... and by looks of things they left MM with free reign to pick choose who stayed and who went? and as we've seen he got rid of any pace and kept footballers who suited his defensive style... going to be difficult to change in mid season because doubt if get anyone in January....but with right man we should stay up and depending on summer window we could see fortunes improve drastically For next season...

Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:17 am

Igovernor wrote:
Scoularite wrote:If Dalman really knows that income from supporters is vital then he should also know that not having a balanced squad that can at least compete they will lose supporters, and we get relegated there will be a lot less income next season.

We are suffering financially, but 12 players out of contract and i can see 10 of those leaving. We will definitely have some money to spend in January!

I agree. Some don’t realise that free transfers and loans cost money other than wages.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:18 am

Igovernor wrote:

Unfortunately they are on payroll until july 1st but given its only a couple if months and a new manager in place money will be found to get in a player or two in desperately needed positions to keep us up ......because relegation will be a total disaster ..... unless we get promoted 1st time

Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:24 am

MM has spent no money but his tactics and mindset are horrific.
Our clubs problems however stem from the ludicrous recruitment mostly on Warnocks watch but overseen by our farcical transfer committee. Flint, Pack, Bacuna, Vaulkes, Vassell, Glatzel. We've spent the family silver.
Warnock is good media and knows how to get fans on his side with a fist pump and a swirling arm. His philosophy though is really no different to MMs and whilst he oversaw our rise he must also be seen as at least partly responsible for where we now are. How many of his signings we are stuck with would he now want?

Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:26 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Igovernor wrote:

Unfortunately they are on payroll until july 1st but given its only a couple if months and a new manager in place money will be found to get in a player or two in desperately needed positions to keep us up ......because relegation will be a total disaster ..... unless we get promoted 1st time

Allan, we will need more than 2 in the summer, with 10 or 12 out of contact, but as for jan we do need 2 or 3 in to survive, and bring back the 4 players out on loan, especially Wintle and Whyte. I an looking forward to next sauturday V stoke, it should be an interesting game, at least we should see a proper formation and and tactics :thumbup:

Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:44 am

Igovernor wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Igovernor wrote:

Allan, we will need more than 2 in the summer, with 10 or 12 out of contact, but as for jan we do need 2 or 3 in to survive, and bring back the 4 players out on loan, especially Wintle and Whyte. I an looking forward to next sauturday V stoke, it should be an interesting game, at least we should see a proper formation and and tactics :thumbup:

Yes roger in summer we need around 7 players January at least 2 plus return of loaned players if possible....but given a better way of playing most players we have will benefit by hopefully being played in correct position and more forward thinking game can see us staying above bottom 3 once get run games going... stoke not bad game to start with as indifferent same as QPR and huddersfield so possibilities of a win or draws at least... but shame didnt get rid mick 3 games ago knowing what games were coming up a change then would given chance to get settled team

Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:49 am

You should replace 'their' negativity with your own; not a good word have you said about our club since you arrived on this Forum

And explain what 'already ruined reputation' is?

Amongst whom (outside this club)?

Be honest because whenever I speak to supporters of other clubs, they have one or more of othe following...

Disinterest in another club's affairs (bar match time or close to)

Some sympathy (where they are aware)

A desire (for many clubs) to be in the relatively 'secure' position that our club is in, i.e. not in real danger of going 'bust' or falling foul of FFP

Or they're simply a 'Jack' trying to get a cheap rise

And ask yourself honestly, maybe 'Jacks' apart, how much of an interest do you really take in the troubles and machinations of other clubs on a day to day (or even frequent) basis?

I think these are fair questions in response to your continued indoctrinated statements of all things negative

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:10 pm

Sven wrote:

You should replace 'their' negativity with your own; not a good word have you said about our club since you arrived on this Forum

And explain what 'already ruined reputation' is?

Amongst whom (outside this club)?

Be honest because whenever I speak to supporters of other clubs, they have one or more of othe following...

Disinterest in another club's affairs (bar match time or close to)

Some sympathy (where they are aware)

A desire (for many clubs) to be in the relatively 'secure' position that our club is in, i.e. not in real danger of going 'bust' or falling foul of FFP

Or they're simply a 'Jack' trying to get a cheap rise

And ask yourself honestly, maybe 'Jacks' apart, how much of an interest do you really take in the troubles and machinations of other clubs on a day to day (or even frequent) basis?

I think these are fair questions in response to your continued indoctrinated statements of all things negative

In fairness, Chris he does have his positive moments... but I fail to understand people (not only him) wanting Tan to walk away?

Another owner did that and caused chaos and financial meltdown just what we need right know....

As for point sbout other clubs yes fans show interest and comment on it but do they care? Not really but they do have some sympathy because fans have put money into buckets for clubs in the past...

Fans are very insular and really only care what happens at their club because have no input into other clubs affairs.