Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Russell Slade did a great job for us

Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:50 pm

I think we all owe Russell slade a big thank you after seeing how hard it was for McCarthy.

Slade took over in very similar circumstances as MM. he replaced OGS who had wasted millions and millions, and had to build a side on free transfers and lower league players like Revell and Eoin Doyle. He kept us mid table.

McCarthy had to do very similar but we are now in a relegation fight, where we never were under slade.

By slade cost cutting and keeping us in the league, he made room for warnock to come in and spend money to get us promoted. Looking back Russell Slade did a great job.

Re: Russell Slade did a great job for us

Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:15 pm

You have to take into account the squad Slade had compared to today. I would say Slades squad was similar to what MM inherited last season. So to me it would be a close race between the 2 squads and managers if they were up against each other.

The squad we have now if Slade would have inherited that I reckon we would still be in a relegation fight and that's my worry, i feel any manager would struggle with this setup.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:31 pm

Funny you mention him, I actually saw him at the ground yesterday before the match, he was heading towards the newer stand, probably just there as a spectator im sure but made me wonder what if anything he is up to nowadays and even if he is still in contact with the club advising them on things here and there.

More than likely he was just in the area and fancied taking in some live football no doubt. Back then he did a fair and good job for us although im not sure he really progressed us in many ways but certainly steadied us well and prepared us for the seasons to come.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:14 pm

He did well to get rid of the players on the books and reduce the wage bill at the time .

Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:30 am

TrueBlue99 wrote:Funny you mention him, I actually saw him at the ground yesterday before the match, he was heading towards the newer stand, probably just there as a spectator im sure but made me wonder what if anything he is up to nowadays and even if he is still in contact with the club advising them on things here and there.

More than likely he was just in the area and fancied taking in some live football no doubt. Back then he did a fair and good job for us although im not sure he really progressed us in many ways but certainly steadied us well and prepared us for the seasons to come.

He lives in Cardiff still

Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:27 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:You have to take into account the squad Slade had compared to today. I would say Slades squad was similar to what MM inherited last season. So to me it would be a close race between the 2 squads and managers if they were up against each other.

The squad we have now if Slade would have inherited that I reckon we would still be in a relegation fight and that's my worry, i feel any manager would struggle with this setup.

Spot on. We stripped alot under slade, but we had ALOT to strip. Our squad is now the barest it has been in long, long time.

Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:24 pm

He completed his project set for him , playing Pilks up front also worked .

Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:36 pm

Ah yeah I forgot about pilkington up front. He did pretty well, never looked natural but worked hard to make a good go of it.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:38 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:You have to take into account the squad Slade had compared to today. I would say Slades squad was similar to what MM inherited last season. So to me it would be a close race between the 2 squads and managers if they were up against each other.

That’s a very good point.

I guess Slade did still have some quality to work with, even though not a lot. As did mick last season with ojo and Wilson. Sadly whoever comes in next probably needs to be a miracle worker to actually get something out of what we have now

Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:18 am

Slade did a decent job - he also had Whitts, which puts 20 points on anyone's season!