Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ‘ The list goes on and on ‘

Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:54 pm

This thread is disingenuous to say the least. Let's look at it based on managers that would or could be classed as failures.

Of the 11 managers that have been claimed, 3 of those were temp managers (and 2 of those were joint temp managers) meaning that it is in fact 8 managers from 11 years.

Then, one of those managers (Dave Jones) was dispensed of at the end of Tans first season in charge - many new owners bring their own person in (see Newcastle most recently), but also many on this board including the OP were calling for Jones to go despite numerous play off appearances and a FA Cup final.

Therefore you could argue it is 7 managers in 11 years.

AND then you could point to Slade, who was brought in to do a specific job and actually did it well (as dull as it was). Therefore taking the managerial mistakes to 6.

Warnock made the choice to leave - because fans were getting on his back, so can't be classed as an error by the club taking that mistakes down to 5.

And finally to Malky - he didn't get sacked for footballing reasons, but instead for what was in effect gross misconduct. Had he not been...well racist, then he may have been here longer. Mistakes now at 4.

That takes it to 4 in 11 years - well within the average time frame of a football manager. Ole, Trollope, Harris and McCarthy (and the later would have been successful if the club has stuck to their original plan of 6 months). Ole, Trollope and Harris however were clear mistakes by the club/board.

Many clubs including some of the top clubs (Chelsea and Man U spring to mind) have had this level of turnover if not more. Again I'd point the finger at the club for not having a DoF over this period, but there is little to suggest that the number of manages appointed is anything out of the ordinary.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:04 am

Blue78 wrote:This thread is disingenuous to say the least. Let's look at it based on managers that would or could be classed as failures.

Of the 11 managers that have been claimed, 3 of those were temp managers (and 2 of those were joint temp managers) meaning that it is in fact 8 managers from 11 years.

Then, one of those managers (Dave Jones) was dispensed of at the end of Tans first season in charge - many new owners bring their own person in (see Newcastle most recently), but also many on this board including the OP were calling for Jones to go despite numerous play off appearances and a FA Cup final.

AND then you could point to Slade, who was brought in to do a specific job and actually did it well (as dull as it was). Therefore taking the managerial mistakes to 6.

Warnock made the choice to leave - because fans were getting on his back, so can't be classed as an error by the club taking that mistakes down to 5.

And finally to Malky - he didn't get sacked for footballing reasons, but instead for what was in effect gross misconduct. Had he not been...well racist, then he may have been here longer. Mistakes now at 4.

That takes it to 4 in 11 years - well within the average time frame of a football manager. Ole, Trollope, Harris and McCarthy (and the later would have been successful if the club has stuck to their original plan of 6 months). Ole, Trollope and Harris however were clear mistakes by the club/board.

Many clubs including some of the top clubs (Chelsea and Man U spring to mind) have had this level of turnover if not more. Again I'd point the finger at the club for not having a DoF over this period, but there is little to suggest that the number of manages appointed is anything out of the ordinary.

Which ever way you try to twist it, once the new manager is officially announced their will have been 11 managers in charge in 11 years , the facts are their.

Other clubs might have had a lot, but we are not successful on or off the pitch and sadly that’s a fact and Cardiff City needs stability.

Even the Chairman Dalman says these are the worst times under their time in control and don’t forget we are in the middle of our worst run in 122 years of our history.

This has come under 11 years of mismanagement from the top.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:45 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Blue78 wrote:This thread is disingenuous to say the least. Let's look at it based on managers that would or could be classed as failures.

Which ever way you try to twist it, once the new manager is officially announced their will have been 11 managers in charge in 11 years , the facts are their.

Other clubs might have had a lot, but we are not successful on or off the pitch and sadly that’s a fact and Cardiff City needs stability.

Even the Chairman Dalman says these are the worst times under their time in control and don’t forget we are in the middle of our worst run in 122 years of our history.

Factually you are right (although I still don’t agree that Danny and Scott should be counted as two). I haven’t twisted anything, I’ve just added perspective to the ‘stats’ as stats never tell the story on their own.

4 managers were confirmed as temp at their appointment.
1 quit - as he said he would do when he felt the fans didn’t want him. The club and he claim they tried to persuade him to stay.
1 was sacked for non footballing reasons.

So if I discount Slade, that is 5 in 11 years.

For further comparison, the team who are currently European Champions and sit top of the PL have had 10 managers since Tan was here.

My point is that having lots of managers isn’t something unique to us and actually when you look behind the stats, the number we have had isn’t that bad.

However at least 2 of those have been completely wrong (Ole) and McCarthy (long term contract), that with some better football knowledge may have been avoided and this avoiding a domino effect.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:58 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Where I will agree with you is that these are the most difficult times since Tan took over.

However, to describe these years as "not successful on or off the pitch" is stretching it.

Two promotions to the Prem, finishes in or around the play-offs every year apart from the Slade year, no administration, no court cases to wind us up, etc.

Now I will admit not everything is rosy and, for me, this next managerial appointment is really important for our future, particularly on the field.

This is a really tough year in the Championship with virtually nobody spending money other than Fulham and Bournemouth which is why you have teams like Coventry, Luton, Millwall and Blackpool in the top 10. It's a shame we didn't have a manager in place to take advantage of that opportunity at the start of the season but let's see where the new appointment takes us.

I would say that we do have to avoid relegation at all costs though. If that was to happen then I really would start to worry about the off-field situation because there is only so long we can rely on Tan to dip his hand in his pocket to keep us running.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:09 am

piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Where I will agree with you is that these are the most difficult times since Tan took over.

However, to describe these years as "not successful on or off the pitch" is stretching it.

Two promotions to the Prem, finishes in or around the play-offs every year apart from the Slade year, no administration, no court cases to wind us up, etc.

Now I will admit not everything is rosy and, for me, this next managerial appointment is really important for our future, particularly on the field.

This is a really tough year in the Championship with virtually nobody spending money other than Fulham and Bournemouth which is why you have teams like Coventry, Luton, Millwall and Blackpool in the top 10. It's a shame we didn't have a manager in place to take advantage of that opportunity at the start of the season but let's see where the new appointment takes us.

I would say that we do have to avoid relegation at all costs though. If that was to happen then I really would start to worry about the off-field situation because there is only so long we can rely on Tan to dip his hand in his pocket to keep us running.

Some very very fair points you’ve made :thumbright: :bluebird:

But two relegations which were awful seeing us hammered by so many teams in the Premier League week in week out and we never learned from our first season in the Premier.

We have not gone forward and we are def not run more professional, we have not learnt by our awful mistakes.

As you say, we must stay up this season :bluebird: :bluebird: