Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Are we that bad - Really ?

Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:33 pm

When MM came in we had an upturn in performance for about 9 or 10 games, after that he didn’t seem to have a plan, strategy, tactic that he settled on, just look at this losing run of 8 straight games and the amount of different formations we played.

This is a team who last year had a really good defensive record, a team with a 20+ a season goal scorer, these players are still here, the only player of any worth that arguably done anything for us last season that we lost was Wilson, he was on a loan anyway and without promotion (at the time) were unlikely to keep him anyway (people seem to forget that bit)

Junior was a shadow of himself last season and bless him Sol hardly played last year.

We have Wintle that can come back in January along with Murphy (if he’s fit) as well as the good academy players coming through, which all could be seen as good as new signings.

What we need is a good man manager that is tactically astute that has a plan and a system that he sticks too, once the players buy into it then results will turn around.

It was eluded on another thread that some of the players who’s contracts are up at the end of the season have given up, sorry I don’t buy that, these are professional sportsman, there problem was they do not know what they are doing one weeks to the next due to formation changes, again a good man manager would be telling them the system then telling them to go earn their next contract (be it with us or not) on the way you play on the pitch.

The man manager route for me doesn’t suit a new up and coming manager, but as mentioned by many we don’t need an old dinosaur playing hoofball either. I honestly think this squad currently is a mid table team and with 30 games or so left that is definitely still achievable.

My point is with a good tactically aware man manager we are not in as bad as a position as many fear however, my own fear is will we get that type of manager in ?

As for the Dalman interview today I can only agree with Annis, the guy is a politician and not a very good one either, I’m actually getting the impression that he doesn’t know what Tan is doing (be it good or bad for us) and that is frustrating him, as one minute he is saying that Tan is refinancing (makes sense with the pandemic losses) and on the other makes out he picks the team and dictates the style of play, if anyone believes that I will be astonished, as what Manager in their right mind would accept that, we know Warnock wouldn’t have.

Whether we like it or not we have got Tan currently, I just hope he gets a manager in next that fits with the above.

Re: Are we that bad - Really ?

Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:48 pm

Can pick bits out of what's been said past few days as indication they have at last realised we cannot go for short term fix.. unless it's big sam as stop gap until next season when new man as a blank canvas to work with? But no we are not as bad as people make out the problem lies squarely with managers crazy tactics and formation now hes gone we hopefully start moving in right direction but that entirely depends on board getting appointment right.

Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:03 am

We need two fullbacks for a start, and few more and we could be half decent.

Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:28 am

I agree with virtually all of that from the OP.

Plenty of people want a "name" or established Championship manager bit, to me, we've been there done that and whilst you can get short-term gains (Mackay/Warnock) it doesn't actually progress the club.

I didn't rate Harris as a first team manager but he was the first manager that paid any attention to the Academy for years. I don't think Harris had the ability to manage at first team level but creating that pathway into the first team could stand us in good stead for the future.

I would love a new, young manager to come in and take a more holistic approach to the club which would enable us to get a bit closer to that self-sustaining model that most clubs aspire to.

It would split the fan base because I know, understandably, many fans want us to play safe with an established manager but I think any appointment will split the fan base for many reasons (with the possible, unlikely, exception of Wilder).

It's a very interesting appointment that's for sure.

Finally, I share your doubts over Dalman's and others comments about Tan interfering with tactics/selection, etc. He may well tell a manager he'd like us to play more directly, etc., but that's a million miles away from selection. On the other hand, if he has been selecting the team/tactics then with two promotions to the Premier League on his CV he's the most tactically aware owner in Britain :roll: :lol: :lol:

Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:53 am

In a word - No - we arent that bad. We just had a one sided, one directional, one tactic manager. That may have worked in the past - and may work (with a Warnock type character). But it didnt work with Mick.

Blood and ghuts may get you over the line to promotion - but from what Ive seen - teams that can play a bit - tend to survive whilst others come straight back down.

The last time we played any decent football that I loved to watch was with Dave Jones - Chopra, Bothroyd, McPhail etc.

Malky was good in that we won the league - Warnock also - success on the pitch is always good to watch.

So whoever comes in next - needs to be in the style of Eddie Howe / Brendan Rodgers. Here is a chance for some like that to come in and mold the team. What I hope, is that Dalmation and Choo Choo do not appoint a McCarthy Mk II type character or a BS cockney type like Harris

Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:11 am

A new playing system may be the breath of fresh air that the club and the players need. I’m sure it was said by someone on this forum that in one game ((Coventry away?) Will Vaulks went to take a long throw and shouted down the line to MM ‘this isn’t working!’

Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:22 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:A new playing system may be the breath of fresh air that the club and the players need. I’m sure it was said by someone on this forum that in one game ((Coventry away?) Will Vaulks went to take a long throw and shouted down the line to MM ‘this isn’t working!’

Agree with you about the new system. That's where we need to start first of all.

As for Vaulks shouting at MM it would not surprise me. I was there and didn't here it but the long throws that night were awful to watch. The Coventry defence were gobbling them all up although we stood well above them.

Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:59 pm

Vaulkes passing the blame? It's the only thing he can pass !!

Get on the phone and get McPhail here as DOF. Give Hudson a crack at manager and it's a crying shame we don't have Whitts here to show the youngsters how to use a football RIP. Great man. :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:40 pm

:?