Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Wilder / Flynn / Morris / Harris / Morison & Hughton '

Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:52 am

' Wilder / Flynn / Morris / Harris / Morison & Hughton '

All main contenders for the Cardiff City managers job.

By Glen Williams

Tuesday 26th October 2021

Chris Wilder

Wilder, it seems, would be the universally accepted choice.

He achieved promotion to the Championship and then the Premier League with Sheffield United, before steering them to a ninth-placed finish in the top flight, their best-ever finish.

He also achieved promotion with Northampton Town before that, too, and clearly knows how to get teams out of divisions.

Wilder would want a budget to work with and City cant give one this season or next season according to City Chairman Dalman.

Wilder has been out of work since leaving Sheffield United back in March this year. It didn't go unnoticed that he was at the Fulham v Cardiff match last Wednesday, either.

Whether he would be happy taking over a club at which funds are thin on the ground, and more pertinently the transfer kitty is sparse, is the big question mark

He seems to tick a lot of boxes both for fans and in terms of what the club needs, but whether Cardiff can entice him to take over such a sizeable project is in the balance at the minute with no finances remains to be seen.

Mike Flynn

Flynn is better equipped than most at rebuilding squads on low or even virtually no budgets and getting results. Quite frankly, that's exactly what Cardiff City need right now.

Cardiff, of course, is a different beast to Newport County and that's where some fans are hesitant regarding his name being linked with the job.

But with Vincent Tan understood to be favouring a younger manager, Flynn, at 41, fits the bill. He is right on Cardiff's doorstep, too, given he is from Newport and has just finished a good four years in charge of the Exiles.

Whoever takes charge will have to oversee a massive recruitment operation next summer, given there are nine senior pros out of contract in June 2022, and Flynn's experience and success in recent transfer windows could tip the scales in his favour.

Jody Morris

This is an interesting one.

The former Chelsea and Derby County No.2 is certainly a person of interest to the Cardiff City hierarchy.

Morris was someone the club looked at before they appointed Mick McCarthy back in January, but it was thought that a safe pair of hands was preferred at that time.

Whether that is the case this time remains to be seen, but, as mentioned above, Tan is thought to be open to the idea of a younger manager to take the club in a new direction.

The obvious drawback with Morris, of course, is that he had never been a head coach. That inexperience might count against him if the Bluebirds hierarchy believe them to be in a relegation battle this season.

But the teams with which he has been involved with have played very good football — it's one of the main reasons he was considered for the Swansea gig before Russell Martin — and that is certainly something Cardiff fans would like to see implemented in the Welsh capital.

Neil Harris

Former Cardiff manager Harris has ranked highly in the bookies' odds list since they came out on Saturday night.

Harris guided Cardiff to the play-offs in his first season in charge, winning over swathes of supporters in the process.

However, with a very good squad the season after, he struggled to get City's campaign off the ground and was eventually sacked in January following a miserable run of six straight defeats.

Neil Harris is still being paid by Cardiff City and still keeps in contact with owner Vincent Tan.

Steve Morison

The current caretaker manager.

Morison's stock has never been higher following his excellent work with Cardiff City's under-23s side.

He has coached and brought through a number of exciting talents, many of whom are now in and around the Bluebirds first team.

The likes of Rubin Colwill, Tom Sang, Joel Bagan, Sam Bowen, Isaak Davies, Kieron Evans and Eli King have all benefited from working under Morison.

Morison's under-23s have also started the season brilliantly, too, having won their first five games on the spin to top the Professional Development League 2 South table.

The former Wales international has the youngsters playing a beautiful brand of football, too, passing quickly and using pace on the counter and on the wings to hit opponents with devastating attacks.

It's that sort of football many fans want to see at first-team level and they hope we will see that over the course of the next three games with Morison at the helm.

Chairman Mehmet Dalman appeared to be against appointing Morison on a permanent basis, saying : "I've spent my entire career avoiding risk - and that would be a risk.

"If it doesn't work you're in a relegation battle, and you have an under-23 manager who's never done that before. I'm not prepared to take that risk."

If he wins the next three games playing an eye-catching brand of football, though, he will give the hierarchy a decision to make.

Chris Hughton

Chris Hughton's name is always in the mix when a Championship job becomes available and this time is no different.

Just because he had an awful time of it at Nottingham Forest, it doesn't make you a bad coach overnight.

He is vastly experienced and probably falls into the 'risk averse' category Dalman would favour. There is no doubting his record, that's for sure.

Hughton would be able to manage upwards and has the experience of overseeing many a transfer window over his lengthy career as a manager.

His appointment, though, would likely see a continuation of pragmatic style of football and potentially be seen as a bit of a stop-gap, with no discernible change in philosophy or style.

But, for all the reasons mentioned above, he is certainly someone in the mix and it would be no surprise to see City plump for him.

Re: ' Wilder / Flynn / Morris / Harris / Morison & Hughton '

Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:02 am

Wilder and then Morris are my choices. :bluescarf:

Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:03 am

Someone has to start thinking outside the box on this decision

Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:06 am

oxfordblue wrote:Someone has to start thinking outside the box on this decision

I agree. It can’t be just based on the cheapest option. I understand the financial constraints but the wrong choice here could spell disaster.

Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:25 am

If we go for Hughton that's a few locals pubs I will have to stop going in.

Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:45 am

Whoever it is, let’s not be giving long contracts unless there is a performance related get out for the club. Also may be a get out for the manager if the club don’t honour their side of the deal, when funds will be available and how much etc.

We can’t keep paying managers or players to put their feet up at home.

Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:11 pm

Wilder then Morris for me out of that list

Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:20 pm

Anyone bar Harris......
Couldn’t get results with a better squad last season so how will he do it with the current bunch???
Wilder or Flynn

Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:28 pm

OliverTwistCymru wrote:Whoever it is, let’s not be giving long contracts unless there is a performance related get out for the club. Also may be a get out for the manager if the club don’t honour their side of the deal, when funds will be available and how much etc.

We can’t keep paying managers or players to put their feet up at home.

I don't think that's a Cardiff issue, that's a football issue in general.

I wouldn't be at all surprised that the professional football managers collective insist on certain wording in contracts that simply precludes that being implemented. Otherwise hardly any managers would get compensation as sacking them almost always comes from a poor run of performances !!

I don't agree with it and don't like it, but, for example, OGS will get a massive pay off when he's sacked from Man Utd despite winning nothing with one of the biggest budgets in Europe !!

The nearest you can get is a rolling 1 year contract but then you reduce the numbers of candidates likely to apply.

What would you do ? Apply for a job with a one year rolling contract or sign a 3 year deal knowing that even if they sacked you tomorrow you get the whole thing paid up no matter how badly you perform :roll: Madness :banghead:

Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:33 pm

Wilder wld be brilliant but needs a some form of urgent to reshape us over next few years. If no budget can't see him coming.

I feel Flynn is more realistic as he is cheap and does well on the lowest budgets albeit in league 2.

If Steve Morison gets 7 points from next 3 games then he would deserve a longer run for me....to be fair pep would struggle to get that

Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:39 pm

No idea why Harris name is even being mentioned. He couldn't get the team to perform when he was here and the squad is weaker!

Wilder or Morris for me. Wilder for his experience or Morris for his prem connections.

Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:46 pm

I don't get this whole Flynn can work on a budget or Flynn is next door spin on why he wouldn't be seen as a dreadful appointment because he would. It stinks of the old days when our fans loved Darcy Blake because he was local too, never mind the fact he was an awful footballer.....he was local so we have to like him. Do other clubs have this mentality?
What we need is a young coach like this Beale, Barry-Murphy or Morris that have been linked. They are young, have fresh ideas for the modern game and also all have contacts at top clubs which could benefit us in a similar way to how it has benefitted those down west in the past few seasons. Flynn has contacts where exactly?? If we are to progress the club needs some balls with this appointment and the top 3 besides the obvious and probably unrealistic option of Wilder are the 3 I just mentioned.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:45 am

WILDER & HARRIS DEF NO

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=224466

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:29 am

CantonStandBob wrote:I don't get this whole Flynn can work on a budget or Flynn is next door spin on why he wouldn't be seen as a dreadful appointment because he would. It stinks of the old days when our fans loved Darcy Blake because he was local too, never mind the fact he was an awful footballer.....he was local so we have to like him. Do other clubs have this mentality?
What we need is a young coach like this Beale, Barry-Murphy or Morris that have been linked. They are young, have fresh ideas for the modern game and also all have contacts at top clubs which could benefit us in a similar way to how it has benefitted those down west in the past few seasons. Flynn has contacts where exactly?? If we are to progress the club needs some balls with this appointment and the top 3 besides the obvious and probably unrealistic option of Wilder are the 3 I just mentioned.

Agree, Flynn wouldn’t be mentioned at all if he wasn’t just down the road. I’m hoping for wilder if not a younger manager such as ones listed above who’d have contacts at the bigger clubs which we could then hopefully get some loan players from

Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:15 am

It seems that Wider and Harris are out of contention. A bit surprised Wilder has turned us down and possibly Forest before us he has been out of work since March and isn't going to get a premier league club. All the championship clubs likely to be promoted this season are doing well with good managers don't know who he thinks is going to come in for him.

Looks like Harris is out too so that leaves Morris Flynn and Hughton of the outsiders. Morris is an unknown quantity Hughton failed miserably at Forest with a team that vastly improved after he left, Flynn was quite good for a league two club but as has been said if that club had been up north rather than down the road he wouldn't even be considered.

Mark Hudson's name has been mentioned. He was caretaker manager of Huddersfield for 4 games, they lost all of those 4 games.

if i was having a bet it would be on Morrison given the now ropey list of applicants for the job if he does reasonably well over the next three games the job might be his.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:22 am

Daman said Yesterday. I quote!
"Morrison has three games and the new manager will take over from the Preston game" Now that goes against what he said before that we are going to take our time picking a manager.
What that says to me is that the manager coming in has already been chosen by the commitee.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:19 am

Igovernor wrote:Daman said Yesterday. I quote!
"Morrison has three games and the new manager will take over from the Preston game" Now that goes against what he said before that we are going to take our time picking a manager.
What that says to me is that the manager coming in has already been chosen by the commitee.

It may be the case but if Morrison got three wins or say two wins and a draw it would be difficult to turn him down. Don't believe the new manager has been chosen as there would be no point not appointing him straight away if he had.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:43 pm

Crayfish wrote:

It may be the case but if Morrison got three wins or say two wins and a draw it would be difficult to turn him down. Don't believe the new manager has been chosen as there would be no point not appointing him straight away if he had.

Not if he is with another club and they are talking compensation!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:48 am

Igovernor wrote:
Crayfish wrote:

Not if he is with another club and they are talking compensation!

Which they are Rog :ayatollah: