Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

UPDATED BREAKING: ‘ CHRIS WILDER ‘

Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:51 pm

Updated 8th November 2021

Just for the record:

Dalman spoke to Chris Wilder around about 18th October in London and then Wilder watched Fulham v City a few days later abd they spoke again and Wilder turned us down.

This has nothing to do with BORO or Yorkshire.
If the offer had been to his liking he would of taken it, simple.

Everyone wanted him back then big-time.

Middlesbrough: “We're delighted to announce the appointment of Chris Wilder as our new manager.”

Wilder turned down Cardiff over a week ago and yet BORO have hardly any money either :cry:
That’s worrying for me as we can’t tempt good managers anymore with good track records.

Middlesbrough are delighted to confirm the appointment of Chris Wilder as our new manager.

The 54-year-old takes over with immediate effect and will be joined by his long-time assistant Alan Knill.

Chris brings a wealth of experience to the club, having managed over 1,000 games since taking his first steps in management with non-league Alfreton Town in 2001.

He is a four-time promotion winner, having guided Oxford out of the Conference in 2010, won League Two with Northampton in 2016 and most recently guiding Sheffield United from the third tier to the Premier League in 2019.

Chris was named LMA Manager of the Year after leading the Blades to the top-flight and they finished ninth on their first season back in the Premier League.

As a player he clocked up almost 500 appearances, a century coming for Sheffield United, his hometown club. The defender also racked up three figures for Rotherham United and enjoyed successful spells with Notts County, Bradford City, and Halifax Town.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BREAKING: ‘ CHRIS WILDER ‘

Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:54 pm

Mate that is more than worrying, good managers don’t want to touch us and we are having to go as low as Flynn

Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:59 pm

Very worrying. Can only assume that they already had a verbal agreement and Wilder didn't go back on that, as Warnock said he knew he was going a few weeks ago.

Good appointment for Boro. Still doesn't sit well with me that they told the press Warnock was getting sacked before they told him.

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:07 pm

There is no reason to be concerned. Wilder is a Yorkshireman and, despite what the 1974 boundary changes might say, Middlesbrough is a Yorkshire club.

They've also got a man who is generally regarded as one of the best chairmen in the business, though I wonder if Neil Warnock still thinks so. Anyway Steve Morison seems to be doing all right but I've long thought Craig Bellamy is destined to be the man to take Cardiff City back to The PL.

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:09 pm

Ned,

You watch now their will be posters saying they are not bothered and they never really wanted him, yet they were begging for him.

I promise you the usual posters will make out he was not for us now lol

I still personally want Steve Morison till Xmas at least :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:13 pm

Why is this worrying? Are we a much bigger club that Middlesbrough? I don't think so. He is also a Yorkshire lad and geographically and family wise maybe he wanted to be based in the north. Perhaps this was deciding factor. I seem to also remember quite a few people saying we missed a trick when Hughton went to Forest and look what happened there. Personally, I still want a young manager wanting to prove himself, Wilder is not this.

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:19 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Ned,

You watch now their will be posters saying they are not bothered and they never really wanted him, yet they were begging for him.

I still personally want Steve Morison till Xmas at least :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Agree on every word of that :thumbright:

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:21 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Ned,

I agree. Morison til Xmas it surely has to be.

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:23 pm

Ninian27 wrote:Mate that is more than worrying, good managers don’t want to touch us and we are having to go as low as Flynn

You don't know that and you have to look at where Chris Wilder is located, too

Would have been nice but wasn't to be, so we all move on (in the mainly united hope it's not Mike Flynn)

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:31 pm

Wilder spent a fortune on brewster and mcburnie lucky escape ,I think hes a shit manager

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:32 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:Why is this worrying? Are we a much bigger club that Middlesbrough? I don't think so. He is also a Yorkshire lad and geographically and family wise maybe he wanted to be based in the north. Perhaps this was deciding factor. I seem to also remember quite a few people saying we missed a trick when Hughton went to Forest and look what happened there. Personally, I still want a young manager wanting to prove himself, Wilder is not this.

Agree with this

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:52 pm

Replies FB:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:38 pm

I would have loved him here but sounds like it was done with Middlesborough a few weeks ago.

It’s an unusual situation as he is going in there with them only 4 points off the play offs - not the normal situation when a new manager comes in - so he will fancy himself to get them into them.

Their current situation (v ours) and the proximity to his home makes them a much more appealing option. Only thing is I wonder if he wished he waited with both Norwich and Villa having become available - both he’d have had a shot at.

Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:22 am

ROKERITE wrote:There is no reason to be concerned. Wilder is a Yorkshireman and, despite what the 1974 boundary changes might say, Middlesbrough is a Yorkshire club.

They've also got a man who is generally regarded as one of the best chairmen in the business, though I wonder if Neil Warnock still thinks so. Anyway Steve Morison seems to be doing all right but I've long thought Craig Bellamy is destined to be the man to take Cardiff City back to The PL.

Regarding Wilder, you're spot on. He's a Yorkshireman, he'll probably not have to uproot his family and Middlesbrough are a decent sized club with a reasonably successful history.

Why some people think that Cardiff is a club that no ambitious manager can turn down is laughable. Having said that, for Flynn to even be in the frame is utterly ridiculous.

Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:22 am

Glad he has gone " Back Up North " - With his demands to be our next manager ...RE Location + money to spend :o

Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:40 am

Blue78 wrote:I would have loved him here but sounds like it was done with Middlesborough a few weeks ago.

It’s an unusual situation as he is going in there with them only 4 points off the play offs - not the normal situation when a new manager comes in - so he will fancy himself to get them into them.

Their current situation (v ours) and the proximity to his home makes them a much more appealing option. Only thing is I wonder if he wished he waited with both Norwich and Villa having become available - both he’d have had a shot at.

Spot on the deal was done weeks ago, big club nearer to his home, good owner if that deal hadn't been done maybe he would have come here?

He's a decent Manager and I would have probably wanted him, but it's not to be and just like when you're looking for that house and someone pips you to it, a better one comes along after and you're glad you didn't get it :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:23 pm

Just for the record:

Dalman spoke to Chris Wilder around about 18th October in London and then Wilder watched Fulham v City a few days later abd they spoke again and Wilder turned us down.

Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:17 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Just for the record:

Who the Hell allowed that big time chancer to even be in the same room as a prospective manager like Wilder??

The bloke has NO football knowledge. You need to attract, sell and entice CCFC to suitors...

Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:35 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Blue78 wrote:I would have loved him here but sounds like it was done with Middlesborough a few weeks ago.

Spot on the deal was done weeks ago, big club nearer to his home, good owner if that deal hadn't been done maybe he would have come here?

He's a decent Manager and I would have probably wanted him, but it's not to be and just like when you're looking for that house and someone pips you to it, a better one comes along after and you're glad you didn't get it :thumbup: :ayatollah:

First of all BORO are def not bigger than us.

Also the deal was 100% not done weeks ago as Wilder was talking to us first.

Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:32 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Also the deal was 10not done weeks ago as Wilder was talking to us first.

Boro fan here and with respect I think we are, At least a bit bigger.
Exibit A 61 top flight seasons to cardiff 19
exibit B 2 lower leaque seasons to Cardiff 29
exibit C almost 20,000 all time average crowd to Cardiff's just under 16,000
Note it takes a long time to alter your average we had a run of 10 plus
seasons with 30k plus average crowds and it only put a couple of hundred
on our average. Just look at what Man yoo av even after years of 70k crowds
Once you have set your usual av your pretty much stuck with it.
Grounds pretty much same size.
Trophies Almost none to speak of. you I think have a FA cup we have a leaque cup win to you,
We did get to a Euro final.

Feel free to disagree I know you will but I think we shade it by a wee bit, if truth be told I think we both
have more potential than we have realised.

Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:53 pm

oriss wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Also the deal was 10not done weeks ago as Wilder was talking to us first.

Boro fan here and with respect I think we are, At least a bit bigger.
Exibit A 61 top flight seasons to cardiff 19
exibit B 2 lower leaque seasons to Cardiff 29
exibit C almost 20,000 all time average crowd to Cardiff's just under 16,000
Note it takes a long time to alter your average we had a run of 10 plus
seasons with 30k plus average crowds and it only put a couple of hundred
on our average. Just look at what Man yoo av even after years of 70k crowds
Once you have set your usual av your pretty much stuck with it.
Grounds pretty much same size.
Trophies Almost none to speak of. you I think have a FA cup we have a leaque cup win to you,
We did get to a Euro final.

Feel free to disagree I know you will but I think we shade it by a wee bit, if truth be told I think we both
have more potential than we have realised.

I agree, your history success is way bigger than us.

But potentially I believe we could be a lot bigger than you with crowds if we had continual success, not just two seasons in our last 60 in top flight football.

By the way our home average is 18,000 this season, so far and it’s been our worst run of results in 122 years.

Re: UPDATED BREAKING: ‘ CHRIS WILDER ‘

Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:25 pm

I have to agree with the boro poster, as it was put that no way are they a bigger club.

And the poster is probably right, at present we of about equal size, but potentially?? Good results and decent football, along with success, always brings the crowds in, whatever the club! Look at wrexham!

Anyway, the only time I think of boro, is when we play them, apart from that, they dont exist in my mind! No offence.

Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:31 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Very worrying. Can only assume that they already had a verbal agreement and Wilder didn't go back on that, as Warnock said he knew he was going a few weeks ago.

Good appointment for Boro. Still doesn't sit well with me that they told the press Warnock was getting sacked before they told him.

Says more about his character if you ask me! Was obviously replacing warnock, as warnock was told weeks ago, but he was still touting himself to us?? Hmmmmmmm as they say.and before I'm shot down, no wilder was NOT my choice, and I said as much, stating I didnt see him as this "young" manager nearly everyone SAID they wanted too?? I said I'd prefer to give morison till at least jan.so I am not one of those who will just say he wasnt for me, as I had already done so, before anyone was appointed.