Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

STEVE MORISON'S CAREER HISTORY

Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:17 pm

I remember him as a tough determined very hard working Millwall Striker, but just googled his career and he has had to fight his way up the leagues, and played a lot of games in the conference 58 games for Bishops Stortford and 127 for Stevenage Borough. He then went on to have a good career at Millwall, Norwich and Leeds.

I always liked him a a player, he was a bit of a Phil Stant type of character, good luck to him he's had a very solid grounding as a player, and should be able to relate to the players especially after managing many of them in the under 23's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Morison

Re: STEVE MORISON'S CAREER HISTORY

Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:22 pm

I liked his recent interview when he was brutally honest that he didn't have the most talent but he worked on his strengths and my memory was he was a nightmare striker to defend against and a great player at the level with limited ability

Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:31 pm

boyo1927 wrote:I liked his recent interview when he was brutally honest that he didn't have the most talent but he worked on his strengths and my memory was he was a nightmare striker to defend against and a great player at the level with limited ability

Reading that, I think he will get the best out of Kieffer, he will be able to teach him a lot and take him up a level, it looks like he's already made quick progress with Zimba too :thumbup:

Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:51 pm

Scored a few goals at international level too.

Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:39 pm

Career history as a player is not necessarily a guide for their abilities as a coach, and I think that Steve Morison's record with the under 23's has been excellent and his first three games with a squad that was very low in confidence and lacking in creativity have been far better than I expected.

One of the best coaches around at the moment, in my opinion, is Thomas Tuchel at Chelsea, yet his career record did not seem to be anything special -

Years Team Apps (Gls)
1992–1994 Stuttgarter Kickers 8 (1)
1994–1998 SSV Ulm 69 (2) - retired due to knee injury 1998
Total 77 (3)

So given the good start Morison has had in a very trying situation I think that we might be in for a nice surprise after the rubbish we've endured, if he actually gets the chance. :thumbright:

Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:44 pm

boyo1927 wrote:I liked his recent interview when he was brutally honest that he didn't have the most talent but he worked on his strengths and my memory was he was a nightmare striker to defend against and a great player at the level with limited ability

I remember a few years ago at Millwall where we'd been behind but managed to get a 3-2 lead and then bloody Steve Morison get a very late equalizer!

Actually now I've remembered that I'll get back on the poll thread and vote for Flynn! ;)

I remember the ref giving a penalty for a foul by Purse on Bellamy and then being persuaded by the fourth official who was about 50 yards away that it was no penalty.

Was that also the game when one of our fans fell out of the top tier of the stand?

Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:43 pm

Not much really is it when you look at it!

Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:14 pm

He didn't suffer fools he used to bully defenders.

Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:29 am

Well you learn something every day :idea:

Did not know that Steve Morison had 20 caps playing for Wales senior squad in the Toshack / Speed Era. :clap:

Hope he does well and keeps the Managers Job for a while to prove himself.

:bluescarf: :bluebird: :old:

Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:18 am

davids wrote:

I remember a few years ago at Millwall where we'd been behind but managed to get a 3-2 lead and then bloody Steve Morison get a very late equalizer!

Actually now I've remembered that I'll get back on the poll thread and vote for Flynn! ;)

I remember the ref giving a penalty for a foul by Purse on Bellamy and then being persuaded by the fourth official who was about 50 yards away that it was no penalty.

Was that also the game when one of our fans fell out of the top tier of the stand?

Don't recall the penalty incident but it was a cracking 2nd half.

We took an early 1-0 lead after the restart and that was when the fan mention mention got carried away.

I got to know a former F troop guy called Keith Bone who was at the match. I made up a banner and hung it over the tier with it saying "Bonehead, do the ayatollah". He got some stick for that amongst his own. Sad ending about Keith a couple of seasons later, he lost his mum then 6 months later cancer took him. RIP Bonehead.