Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WOLVES CALL BACK RYAN GILES!!

Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:44 am

Wolves have taken back Ryan Giles and Dion Sanderson for training so manager Bruno Lage can cast an eye on their progress.Could be bad news for us. :bluebird:

Re: WOLVES CALL BACK RYAN GILES!!

Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:55 am

It seems as though they are being "invited" to come back during the break rather than being recalled just yet?

Not good news if this happens

Wolves boss Bruno Lage checks on loan players

Matt Maher

Wednesday 10th 2021

Ryan Giles, Dion Sanderson, Connor Ronan and Austin Samuels are all currently back at Compton Park working alongside a reduced first-team squad.

The move gives Lage and his coaching staff the chance to run the rule over the quartet, while also boosting numbers with the majority of senior players away on international duty.

Boss Lage explained: “We will try to work a little bit with some of the guys that are out on loan.

“We will look at the players that can come and work a little bit with us, to get better.

“We will continue to work on these kind of things and also individual things. There are little things they can improve. We don’t have a game but we will work hard.”

Wolves keep a close eye on the progress of all players out on loan but believe bringing senior prospects back for a few days offers the chance to assess their progress close-up. All have returned with the agreement of the clubs they have been loaned to for the current season, none of whom are scheduled to play during the international break.

Wideman Giles has been playing in the Championship with Cardiff, while defender Sanderson has made nine appearances for Blues. Midfielder Ronan and striker Samuels have been plying their trade in the Scottish Premier League for St Mirren and Aberdeen respectively. All four signed new contracts at Molineux in the last 12 months.

Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:07 am

Flip side of this is if the manager doesn't feel these provide anything he wants it might be an opportunity to get a good player at a good price.

Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:36 am

Shame we haven’t got our new manager in place so he/she could get Wintle,Murphy and White in to see how they are shaping up :banghead: :banghead:

Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:59 am

I dont know if wolves are desperate for a LWB/winger but they seem to be doing OK without Giles.

Let's face it, given our current squad situation, he is guaranteed to play every game here. He might get the odd appearance for wolves. Unless they want to recall him and send him out to another club, it doesnt really make sense recalling him. Suppose a lot could depend on the manager we appoint and how he is likely to play.

Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:31 pm

City slicker27 wrote:I dont know if wolves are desperate for a LWB/winger but they seem to be doing OK without Giles.

Let's face it, given our current squad situation, he is guaranteed to play every game here. He might get the odd appearance for wolves. Unless they want to recall him and send him out to another club, it doesnt really make sense recalling him. Suppose a lot could depend on the manager we appoint and how he is likely to play.

Giles is an excellent player for us but I don't think he is good enough to play for an ambitious premier league club. Yes his ability to beat a player and get a good cross in is very good at this level but he simply doesn't score enough goals that is his Achilles heel. At premier league level a good winger has to be a good winger and score goals. When Giles is on a one one with a keeper he usually shoots straight at the keeper or wide. Wolves will simply spend £30 million on a Portugese ineternationl who can score.

It's like the situation with Camarasa he was excellent for us and couldn't get in the Crystal Palace side.The gap between the premier and th Championship is huge.

Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:31 pm

I think RG contract is up in June next year maybe it's just a matter of taking a look to see if Wolves want to give him a new contract.

If they don't surely he falls into the category of the type of player we will be looking out for, as will Sanderson because his contract is also up next summer.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:45 pm

castleblue wrote:I think RG contract is up in June next year maybe it's just a matter of taking a look to see if Wolves want to give him a new contract.

If they don't surely he falls into the category of the type of player we will be looking out for, as will Sanderson because his contract is also up next summer.

Definitely the type of players we should be looking at if they become available on a free transfer in the summer. Going to to have to recruit a lot of players if we release everyone whose contract runs out. Mentioned getting Tutu back from Arsenal on another thread as he looked a great player before his injury. Need players who are young, quick and comfortable on the ball. Hopefully Morison will get the job as I think younger players like Giles and Sanderson will buy into his style of play.

Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:57 pm

castleblue wrote:I think RG contract is up in June next year maybe it's just a matter of taking a look to see if Wolves want to give him a new contract.

Spot on.

I don't think they're having a look at him in training with an eye on recalling him, more to do with whether they want to renew his contract.

So this is a bit of a non story.

I don't think he's good enough for Wolves, if I'm being honest.

From an attacking viewpoint he's not going to get in the team ahead of Traore, Vitinha, Neto (when fit), Hwang, Trincao etc.

From a defensive viewpoint he's not close to the same level as Marcal, Ait Nouri, Hoever etc.

I won't be surprised if they don't offer him a new deal.

Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:14 pm

Both Giles and Sanderson have contracts with Wolves running to the 30th of June 2025.

Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:20 pm

Blue View wrote:Both Giles and Sanderson have contracts with Wolves running to the 30th of June 2025.

Point still stands though that they'll want to decide whether to keep them long term. As I said, Giles is nowhere near good enough for Premier League football this season.

Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:44 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Blue View wrote:Both Giles and Sanderson have contracts with Wolves running to the 30th of June 2025.

Point still stands though that they'll want to decide whether to keep them long term. As I said, Giles is nowhere near good enough for Premier League football this season.

Agree; and of late he hasn't looked inspiring in our struggling side either but maybe just needs a better system in which to flourish

Seems it's only a few days anyway and Ryan Giles is expected to be back training with his Bluebirds team mates ahead of the Preston game next week :ayatollah:

Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:55 am

That would be great, we're desperate for wide players. Both young with pace, skill and love to attack.

I think we're back shopping in Poundland again though. Maybe even at the food bank at this stage. :lol: