Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ 18months jail ‘

Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:21 pm

Emiliano Sala: Businessman who organised fatal flight for footballer jailed for 18 months

Sky News

Friday 12th November 2021

The plane carrying 28-year-old Sala crashed into the English Channel on the evening of 21 January 2019, killing the striker and pilot David Ibbotson, 59.

The businessman who organised a flight that crashed, killing footballer Emiliano Sala, has been jailed for 18 months for endangering the safety of an aircraft.

David Henderson, 67, was convicted by a majority verdict of 10 to two at Cardiff Crown Court last month.

The plane carrying 28-year-old Sala crashed into the English Channel on the evening of 21 January 2019, killing the striker and pilot David Ibbotson, 59.

The player had been travelling to his new club, Cardiff City.

Henderson, a father-of-three and former RAF officer, had arranged the flight with football agent William 'Willie' McKay.

He had asked Mr Ibbotson to fly the plane as he was away on holiday in Paris with his wife.

Mr Ibbotson, who regularly flew for him, did not hold a commercial pilot's licence, a qualification to fly at night, and his rating to fly the single-engine Piper Malibu had expired.

Just moments after finding out the plane had gone down, Henderson texted a number of people telling them to stay silent - warning it would "open a can of worms".

He admitted in court he feared an investigation into his business dealings.

Re: ‘ 18months jail ‘

Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:34 pm

Shocking sentence should of been 10 years.

He will be out in 9mths or 4.5mths on a tag.

Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:38 pm

It seems extremely lenient given that two people died...

Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:42 pm

Very lenient for the cost of what he did. He is a quite an old man so 18 months (more likely 9 months) in jail will take its toll on him and I really hope it does for all the pain and suffering he has caused 2 families through his greed. Scumbag.

Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:49 pm

Shocking sentence, deserved many years.

Probably be out of prison by Easter.

Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:56 pm

Sentence doesn’t make sense. Someone I know got 18 months for stealing £120,000 from Admiral Insurance many years back

This is a weak sentence and I feel sorry for salas family

Justice has not been served

Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:10 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:Sentence doesn’t make sense. Someone I know got 18 months for stealing £120,000 from Admiral Insurance many years back

It seems not; and some of the 'poor me' comments in his pre-sentencing statement beggar belief...

He has overseen the deaths of two men (one culpable and one totally innocent) because he thought he was better/smarter than the CAA

I feel there is still potential for others to be brought to book now and that will hopefully include McKay and (possibly) FC of Nantes

No matter what though, two men have died and three families impacted by a greedy, coniving, lying, immoral individual

Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:11 pm

So will do 9 months and probably let out on tag after 4-6 months.
There are others who should be in the dock with him - namely the agent.

Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:24 pm

Whilst the sentence is extremely lenient and should be appealed to have it increased... what he did was not the cause the crash so can only be sentenced accordingly? A faulty exhaust pipe was according to experts who investigated crash the cause so maybe others should be in dock for that bit of negligence..

Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:25 pm

Sven wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:Sentence doesn’t make sense. Someone I know got 18 months for stealing £120,000 from Admiral Insurance many years back

It seems not; and some of the 'poor me' comments in his pre-sentencing statement beggar belief...

He has overseen the deaths of two men (one culpable and one totally innocent) because he thought he was better/smarter than the CAA

I feel there is still potential for others to be brought to book now and that will hopefully include McKay and (possibly) FC of Nantes

No matter what though, two men have died and three families impacted by a greedy, coniving, lying, immoral individual

Chris it has not been mentioned , but there may be another trial coming if and when he is charged with manslaughter :thumbup:

Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:38 pm

Igovernor wrote:
Sven wrote:

Chris it has not been mentioned , but there may be another trial coming if and when he is charged with manslaughter :thumbup:

I think that if the findings of the inquest is negligence then I expect further and far more serious charges. This sentence is about CAA rules so it probably explains why it appears a light sentance.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:37 pm

Disgusting sentence, what is wrong with these judges?

No wonder the lowlife was smiling outside court :twisted:

Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:21 am

JulesK wrote:Disgusting sentence, what is wrong with these judges?

No wonder the lowlife was smiling outside court :twisted:

Agree.

Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:03 am

When the inquest reaches its verdict he could be charged with manslaughter. here is what the inquest is going to rule on
Senior coroner Rachael Griffin said the jury will consider the flight arrangements, the operation, condition and maintenance of the aircraft, the pilot's qualifications, the flight itself and ensuing search and recovery of Sala's body.