Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FAW: African Opponents?

Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:37 pm

Watching the game and scouring the internet, I cant ever recall Wales playing any African teams.

Weve played plenty of South/North American and Carribbean teams over the years. Also Australia, New Zealand and China in recent years.

Is there a reason why we havent played any African teams in friendly matches? I'm assuming they follow a similar international calendar (apart from the African cup of nations).

Re: FAW: African Opponents?

Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:44 pm

If we qualify for the World Cup and have ab African nation in our group, we will probably have a friendly against another African nation.

We won't learn much from friendlies against them otherwise, as we have only played competitive games against European nations in recent years.

Doesn't even make sense when we've played South American nations in friendlies in truth.

Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:51 pm

Lamboy88 wrote:Watching the game and scouring the internet, I cant ever recall Wales playing any African teams.

Weve played plenty of South/North American and Carribbean teams over the years. Also Australia, New Zealand and China in recent years.

Is there a reason why we havent played any African teams in friendly matches? I'm assuming they follow a similar international calendar (apart from the African cup of nations).

Wales played Tunisia (away) in a 'friendly' in 1998 losing 0-4 on the day

To my knowledge, this is the only time Wales have played an African team :thumbright:

Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:28 am

100% correct Tunisia are the only African team we that played