Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Joel Bagan/Ciaron Brown Hmmmm?

Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:03 pm

Personally I don’t believe either are Championship quality and I believe Steve Morison might feel the same?

‘ Joel Bagan/Ciaron Brown ‘

Rubin Colwill is likely set for a boost following Ryan GIles' positional change, it could harm two youngsters' chances at the back.

Joel Bagan started the season as City's first-choice left back, having been handed the No.3 shirt upon the departure of Joe Bennett. Despite showing flashes of positivity going forward, he was left wanting on occasions and quite a lot of mistakes at the back and it has been a steep learning curve for him.

Ciaron Brown was ok defensively when brought into the fray in Bagan's stead, but under Morison there is a feeling that Cardiff's wing backs are going to have more of a pronounced role in the final third of the pitch.

Brown's contract runs out at the end of the season and unless there is a crisis at centre back, it is difficult to see where a string of games will come from for him.

Giles offers Cardiff a lot going forward from that wing-back position and it looks likely he will remain there for the time being. The other youngsters, Tom Davies also included, have just been knocked that one rung down the ladder.

Both players came through other clubs Accademy’s

Joel Bagan Came through Southampton’s Accademy and after being released Cardiff signed him up.

Ciaron Brown is nearly 24 years old and has spent most of his career in the lower leagues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Joel Bagan/Ciaron Brown Hmmmm?

Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:30 pm

Don't think Bagan has been left wanting as much as Pack and Bacuna have all season. Unfortunately for Bagan he has not been given a chance under Morrison and instead was in a MM team that was pretty dire. I think he still has the potential to do well.

Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:25 pm

Brown is league 1 at best at lwb but I think Bagan certainly has the potential to make a decent championship defender albeit he has a lot to learn at this level .

Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:22 pm

Brown is a back up central defender, however Bagan has shown glimpses that he can be a decent wing back

Our new style of play will definitely suit him and give him the chance to get forward a lot more often

Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:48 pm

Both decent champions squad players not first picks for me though , Brown bit more versatile accross the back line with more experience.

Think Joel deserves a game or two to see how he can play in a new system.

Morison surely knows what he is capable of at this stage of his career???

Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:57 pm

Would prefer bagan to nelson.

Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:09 pm

Still blows my mind they preferred to hang on to brown, a fifth centre back that slots on tbr left rather than try and hold on to Bennett. How better for Bagan to understudy than someone like him

Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:50 pm

I think Bagan was unlucky earlier in the season, as with Giles in front of him & the system we played, he had very little defensive cover when teams attacked us. Same with Sang to a degree. Agree on Brown though, defo not up to the standard and at 24 isnt really going to improve imo

Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:04 pm

Bagan is literally still a kid. He's got potential but should not be relied on in such a pivotal position. It will take him time to grow into a senior role.

Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:53 am

In my opinion Bagan needs more time as for Brown I would take whatever we could for him as I think the Championship is a level to high for him