Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

James Collins?

Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:18 pm

James Collins?

James Collins was clearly a McCarthy signing. The striker was someone the manager knew well from his days with the Republic of Ireland and, given his age, didn't really fit the mould of signings Cardiff had been making of late.

It's utterly unfair to write him off after only 16 games in a Cardiff shirt, but life in the Welsh capital hasn't been kind to him thus far.

Collins was a free agent and had spent most of his career in the lower leagues, McCarthy with no money opted for the 31 year old.

He is yet to open his account in front of goal, while he has missed a few notable chances, and has busted his thumb, needing screws to be fitted in order to remedy the problem. It meant he had to pull out of the Ireland squad for this international fortnight, too.

He could still come good?

He might well benefit from the positives that Kieffer Moore spoke about above and all Cardiff fans are hoping he does just that. Collins, 30, is a proven goalscorer in the Football League and there is little doubt he just needs that first one to get going.

But, as also mentioned above, will Zimba and Davies be afforded chances ahead of him, even when he is back fit? Or, come January, will there be another name back in the mix...

Re: James Collins?

Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:27 am

This may sound harsh but with Harris stepping up, Zimba thereabouts and possibly Watters returning in Jan, I would ship Collins out in January.

Especially as the way we are playing and evolving with Morison, it means we won't 'have' to always rely on Moore or a Moore type player... making it easier for Harris, Zimba and Watters to step in and make a difference (under McCarthy that would have been much harder due to the one-dimensional play).

Seeing Collins off the books would free up decent wages for other areas of the pitch that we are lacking.

Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:34 am

AfricanBluebird wrote:This may sound harsh but with Harris stepping up, Zimba thereabouts and possibly Watters returning in Jan, I would ship Collins out in January.

Especially as the way we are playing and evolving with Morison, it means we won't 'have' to always rely on Moore or a Moore type player... making it easier for Harris, Zimba and Watters to step in and make a difference (under McCarthy that would have been much harder due to the one-dimensional play).

Seeing Collins off the books would free up decent wages for other areas of the pitch that we are lacking.

Not harsh at all, My view exactly, Collins wages coming in last Summer I heard was the highest we brought in, Luton had offered him a low wage on a new contract as he was just going to be a squad player. We once again bring in a player in my opinion and waste money especially knowing he was virtually past his sell by date.

Offload Collins to a League 1 / 2 club.

Zero goals this season in 16 appearances and yes he has had many chances in-front of goal.

Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:57 pm

I'd keep him for experience tbh, he also does a lot of unsung work,more than madine ever did for us, and he cost us 6m! Yes he needs a goal to maybe get him going,but I thought the wages we were going to be paying was no more than 15k a week, according to a post I'd read?? So wont get many players in on that kind of money being shared out??

Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:50 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:This may sound harsh but with Harris stepping up, Zimba thereabouts and possibly Watters returning in Jan, I would ship Collins out in January.

The only reason I wouldn't ship out Collins is because we are SO SHORT on numbers. If he goes he wont be replaced.

With respect, Harris has had plenty of opportunities to 'step up' over a number of years and has failed to do so. He stepped down TO Newport and Wrexham, and was unsuccessful on each occassion.