Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Joe Ledley ‘

Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:22 pm

JOE LEDLEY RETIRES FROM FOOTBALL & SAYS THE BIGGEST HIGHLIGHT IN HIS CAREER WAS SIGNING FOR CELTIC

Joe Ledley has announced his retirement from professional football at the age of 34 via a statement posted to his personal Instagram page. ... "I'm officially retiring from football.

Sunday 14th November 2021

Cardiff-born Ledley won 77 international caps, featuring in every game of Wales' memorable run to the Euro 2016 semi-finals and establishing himself as a favourite among fans.

He helped Cardiff to the 2008 FA Cup final and 2010 Championship play-off final, playing more than 250 times for the Bluebirds in all before joining Celtic in 2010.

Ledley won three Scottish league titles and a Scottish Cup with the Hoops before moving to the Premier League with Palace in 2014.

After three and a half years at Selhurst Park, Ledley spent just over two years at Derby before brief spells with Charlton, Australian side Newcastle and Newport, where he made his final appearance in April 2021.

"Playing in play-off and FA cup finals at Wembley [for Cardiff] are moments I will never forget," Ledley wrote on Instagram.
"The highest of highs to the lowest of lows with a club that is so close to my heart.

"Signing for Celtic was a true highlight, an amazingly unique football club. There was no better feeling than winning trophies for arguably the most passionate fans in the world - cherished memories.

"I achieved more than I could have ever imagined, but the time came to follow another dream and play in the Premier League. Crystal Palace opened the door for that. Playing against and alongside some of the best players in the game. Amazing."
Ledley, whose most recent international cap came in 2018, added:

"Then there is Wales, my beloved Wales.
"I can never imagine retiring from international football, so I will forever remain available!"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ Joe Ledley ‘

Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:04 pm

"Lowest of the lows - for the club i love"

Was he talking about us ? - as I cant remember him having low points with us.
Joe should be a millionaire a few times over by now with the money he must have earned.

Well done - not done too bad for himself.

Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:08 pm

Good luck to him!

Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:23 pm

Never overly impressed by him , went downhill fast at an early age.

Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:27 pm

True.. but you don’t get overly impressed by most players. Decent footballer, thought his best period was at Palace..

Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:35 am

rumpo kid wrote:True.. but you don’t get overly impressed by most players. Decent footballer, thought his best period was at Palace..

Well spotted... ;) :thumbup:

Decent footballer but not a 'great' in any guise and let 'his' (so called) beloved club down badly (IMHO, of course and others will argue differently)

I don't believe any one person was wholly to blame (Ridsdale certainly didn't help) but Joe and his agent 100% looked after themselves at a time 'his' club could have done with his help

Could have been a 'home-grown' City legend (not great) had he stayed and played for us in the Premier League but that wasn't to be and I think it will always be a regret for him

Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:12 am

To be honest, if I signed for real Madrid, Liverpool, Barcelona, etc, the highlight of my career would be my debut, for my home town club. Maybe my age, but for me, the dream was always to turn out for the city! Never got near, but still tingle at the thought at my age :lol: :lol: :old: :bluebird:

Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:01 am

He didn't say it was his "biggest highlight". Missquote.

"Signing for Celtic was a true highlight, an amazingly unique football club. There was no better feeling than winning trophies for arguably the most passionate fans in the world - cherished memories.

Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:21 pm

looks like majority of his clubs have shown a little appreciation apart from Cardiff.. haven't seen them say anything

Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:06 pm

nubbsy wrote:He didn't say it was his "biggest highlight". Missquote.

Why has someone added to my post?

Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:49 pm

nubbsy wrote:
nubbsy wrote:He didn't say it was his "biggest highlight". Missquote.

Why has someone added to my post?

Jack,

Just added word for word what Joe Ledley said :thumbright:

Nothing had been changed in what you posted, it’s exactly word for word you wrote :thumbright:

Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:49 am

A good send off for him last night from the Welsh faithful, A good club career with 77 caps thrown in to come back from injury as quick as he did for the 2016 euros and have a decent tournament was remarkable!

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:05 pm

Lets not forget he scored the goal that got us to an FA Cup final something I was begining to think I would never see with Cardiff

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:32 pm

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:"Lowest of the lows - for the club i love"

Was he talking about us ? - as I cant remember him having low points with us.
Joe should be a millionaire a few times over by now with the money he must have earned.

Well done - not done too bad for himself.

He means the 2010 play-off final, probably my lowest moment as a City fan as well. We should have won that day and if we had I think that team would have stayed up in the PL.

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:34 pm

Given is appearances for us and after leaving us he seemed to have injury or form problems after leaving?

Sad as he was a decent player and could have played in PL for us when we got there.

Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:14 pm

Ledley shat on us. F*** him