Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Could he be on his way back? “

Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:41 am

My View: Watters is a League 1 striker, but I hope I am wrong and Steve Morison would know better, Should be given another chance in January :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird:

Max Watters is back in form and firing on all cylinders for his loan club, MK Dons in League 1.

The striker has smashed four goals in his last four games ( 4 in 9 apps), including an impressive double against Cambridge United this weekend, and some Cardiff fans are calling for him to be brought back in January??

Given Cardiff have struggled in front of goal this season, Watters might be the cost-friendly SOS call Morison dials in January.

Morison knows first hand just how much of a threat Watters is; the 22 year-old banged in four goals in two games for his under-23s side earlier this year.

Their is a real difference between the U23’s and the first team though, we shall see come January?

The manager also hinted pointedly at the possibility of utilising recall clauses in the January window upon his announcement this week.

STEVE MORISON:

"We head into the January transfer window where hopefully we can improve our squad slightly, whether that's bringing people back or getting new people in, whoever that might be," he said.

"If we see a real upturn in performances, and everyone is flying and doing really well, it might be a case where now the style of play has changed and how we want to work has changed and maybe we don't need to start looking.

"We've got a really good crop of players in the younger age groups who might be able to help those players in the first team."

That is not only a hint at bringing the likes of Watters, or potentially even Josh Murphy up at Preston or Ryan Wintle at Blackpool, back to the club, but also a message to the players already in the squad - like Collins, Davies, Zimba and Harris - to prove that additions do not need to be made.

If a recall is to happen in January, Watters seems to sit top of the list at the minute. If that is the case, it would be a big blow to MK Dons, who have started the season well and are pushing for promotion this term.

Watters, along with striker partner Scott Twine, is playing a crucial part in that at the minute.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ Could he be on his way back? “

Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:48 am

MK Dons 4-1 Cambridge United: Scott Twine and Max Watters score twice each in thumping win in League 1.

Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:22 am

When he first signed, we saw very little him to be able to make a judgement, he certainly came with a very good scoring record, albeit in division 2, but he is now doing the same in division 1 for a club at the top end, it would do no harm to take a look at him in January, it seams that he has risen his game to at least Division 1, can he go a step further and perform in the championship, god knows we need all the possible help to get us up the table. :thumbup:

Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:34 am

I must admit, I didn't see much in Watters to make me think he can make it at Championship level.

He looks like he's lacking that extra yard of pace to me but, to be fair, he didn't have much of a chance and he certainly appears to know where the goals are.

I have no problem in Morison getting him back to have a closer look at him.

Let's hope that he just needed a chance of playing regularly. He's not old at 22 so probably a better bet than Collins !

Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:12 am

The issue seems to be the level he is playing may suit him better?

Banging in goals in the lower divisions is not a real indicator of Championship standard but it may be worth having another look under the new regime?

We don't have the luxury of being able to buy a way forward right now, so bringing him and others back woukd be thecwise choice and hopefully they will all do well

Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:24 am

Sven wrote:The issue seems to be the level he is playing may suit him better?

Banging in goals in the lower divisions is not a real indicator of Championship standard but it may be worth having another look under the new regime?

We don't have the luxury of being able to buy a way forward right now, so bringing him and others back woukd be thecwise choice and hopefully they will all do well

Chris,

If clubs sign players from outside the UK they are given time to settle into the riggers of any league.

It doesn’t help if your team plays hoof ball with little or no passing. IMO he like several others were never given a chance and we have a long list of strikers who’ve come and gone! So maybe it’s the style of play :banghead:

I believe all 4 loaned players will be recalled and if so what does that say about MM :sleepy2:

Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:43 am

Personally I would offer Watters and a little cash for Scott Twine only 22 and a prolific attacking midfielder spent a half a season at Newport think this player has a massive future

Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:48 am

My opinion is I would take Watters over Harris

Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:30 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:My opinion is I would take Watters over Harris

Definitely. From what little we saw of Watters, he has much more pace than Harris, but spent what little playing time he had with City, running into spaces without ever getting a sniff of a pass.

Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:57 pm

Hmmmm

Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:57 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:My opinion is I would take Watters over Harris

And me,but at this moment I still don’t rate Watters as a Championship striker