Sion Spence and Macauley Southam-Hales

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby pick and shovel » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:22 pm

We nurtured and invested in him since he was a kid then let him go. Now he is cracking them in for Brizzle Rovers. Looks like yet another blunder by our previous incompetent management teams
pick and shovel

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Sion Spence

Postby worcester_ccfc » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:44 pm

Probably didn't look good enough when he was younger, some players develop late.

You probably want to be negative, but we're not the only ones who let players go that end up doing well.

Man Utd let Paul Pogba go and then re-signed him for a huge fee, same with Chelsea and Romelu Lukaku.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Sven » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:50 pm

pick and shovel wrote:We nurtured and invested in him since he was a kid then let him go. Now he is cracking them in for Brizzle Rovers. Looks like yet another blunder by our previous incompetent management teams

Do you have ANYTHING positive to say about the club, its players or on any other subject when you create your threads/posts? :?
pick and shovel wrote:We nurtured and invested in him since he was a kid then let him go. Now he is cracking them in for Brizzle Rovers. Looks like yet another blunder by our previous incompetent management teams

So remind me what League they are in?

City made a decision on Sion Spence and we all moved on ;)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby pick and shovel » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:58 pm

The thing is Sven over the past couple of seasons it has become very difficult to say anything positive about the club. Perhaps you have seen something that I dont.
pick and shovel

Postby bluebird04 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:10 pm

This one really annoyed me. And said everything that was wrong with our academy. Can't remember which of our coaches were on about it, but they said. So it came down to colwill and Spencer. Both were brilliant talents. But we were told we could only keep one and offer a contract to. We went with colwill.....Spence has signed for Palace and after impressing in their academy has been sent out on loan.

It annoyed me that the fact the club had two quality youngsters coming through and decided they had to pick 1 to keep.
bluebird04

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:46 pm

Little true story about an academy..... brighton have 38 kids in their academy only 3 was offered contracts not one as got anywhere near 1st team but loaned out to lower league clubs. You can garauntee this is repeated throughout the leagues.. so why are people thinking because we let some go it's a big mistake and incompetency by club when so few make it?
pembroke allan

Macauley SOUTHAM-HALES

Postby City1983 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:50 pm

Another Cardiff Acadamey graduate. Anyone remember him? Don't think he ever played in the first team.
Playing for Stockport County tonight in the FA Cup replay at Edgsly Park. Having a good game as well. Can tell the difference in quality.

Glad he's making a career for himself. Sure he can play at a higher level than the Conference!
City1983

Postby Sven » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:01 pm

pick and shovel wrote:The thing is Sven over the past couple of seasons it has become very difficult to say anything positive about the club. Perhaps you have seen something that I dont.

The real thing is NO, it hasn't become difficult, if (as your previous post comments suggest surrounding your age) you remember the truly bad days and don't go looking in every nook and cranny for something to moan or bleat about; something a scan of your posts suggests you do...

Your anti-Morison comments were noted whilst the vast majority wanted it to hapoen but that is your prerogative and I guess time will tell on that one...

Too many deliberate 'knockers' on this platform of late; and some with more than one name to suit each occasion :(
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Re: Macauley SOUTHAM-HALES

Postby Abergavenny » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:19 pm

City1983 wrote:Another Cardiff Acadamey graduate. Anyone remember him? Don't think he ever played in the first team.
Playing for Stockport County tonight in the FA Cup replay at Edgsly Park. Having a good game as well. Can tell the difference in quality.

Glad he's making a career for himself. Sure he can play at a higher level than the Conference!

He was signed by Fleetwood and could not get in the team so was sold on to Stockport i believe
Abergavenny

Re: Sion Spence and Macauley Southam-Hales

Postby pick and shovel » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:49 pm

Sven, you really do have to wake up and smell the coffee. We are in a real relegation battle having just ended the worst run of defeats in our history.We have made some atrocious signings including Murphy and Bacuna especially. There is no midfield creativity and the Manager is unproven. Am I that wrong or did you perhaps agree with McCarthy who said he was happy with his squad at the start of the season
I certainly wasn't and said so at the time
pick and shovel

Postby Sven » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:53 pm

pick and shovel wrote:Sven, you really do have to wake up and smell the coffee. We are in a real relegation battle having just ended the worst run of defeats in our history.We have made some atrocious signings including Murphy and Bacuna especially. There is no midfield creativity and the Manager is unproven. Am I that wrong or did you perhaps agree with McCarthy who said he was happy with his squad at the start of the season
I certainly wasn't and said so at the time

Firstly, it isn't Mick McCarthy's decision to let the subject (Spence) go and I didn't really voice an opinion on the squad at the start of the seasons preferring to see how it went

Bacuna an 'atrocious' signing? Don't see that and he has picked up again now he is being played correctly

Murphy? Certainly a disappointment and seemingly overpriced, but I've seen enough to believe he could flourish in a more attack-minded formation

Mick McCarthy brought in Collins, which hasn't yet proved fruitful and also Wintle, who was then weirdly sent out

Of course we are in a relegation battle but that doesn't mean we have to 'give up' on our (supposed) team/club and go looking for every little thing to 'have a pop' at them, which is what you are doing over many posts

It's a matter of opinions, of course, but when all is said and done, these are the adventures of our football club and I don't need to 'wake up and smell the coffee', as I know that life in football world fluctuates and we are currently in a relative (to recent years) lull

I believe things will improve and your assertion (quote) "We are in a real relegation battle having just ended the worst run of defeats in our history" will prove relatively short-lived, if our players 'buy in' to Steve Morison's vision of play, which so far looks the case ;)
Sven

Postby nubbsy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:32 am

Bristol Rovers!? Must be world class, sign him up Morrison!!!
nubbsy

Postby mjw6150 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:04 am

Until they are doing it at Championship level you can't really call it a loss for ourselves. Obviously they are closer to their level and progressing nicely so letting them go was correct for their careers.
mjw6150

Postby pick and shovel » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:34 am

I dont think Sven and I are as far apart as it may look
We both want City to do well and neither of us have signed up to the anti Tan brigade
The main difference appears to be optimism on his part and pessimism on mind (probably because I've been a fan for much longer than him).But we will remain poles apart as far as Bacuna is concerned
pick and shovel

Postby Sven » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:42 am

pick and shovel wrote:I dont think Sven and I are as far apart as it may look
We both want City to do well and neither of us have signed up to the anti Tan brigade
The main difference appears to be optimism on his part and pessimism on mind (probably because I've been a fan for much longer than him).But we will remain poles apart as far as Bacuna is concerned

Remind me when you started and I'll comment accordingly. Not detrimentally; just on how anyone who has witnessed what I have over the years can call these truly bad times after watching us play in the proverbial dungeon and come close to seeking the old 're-election'

The two simply don't compare :thumbup:
Sven

Postby Sven » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:48 am

nubbsy wrote:Bristol Rovers!? Must be world class, sign him up Morrison!!!

nubbsy, it jus seems some people trawl the internet looking for an 'in' to create a negatively orientated anti-club thread

No one (even from the club) ever called Sion Spence anything but talented. A decision had to be made and we kept Rubin Colwill...

What a mistake (or should we use the OP's 'blunder' word?) that was, eh? ;) :lol:
Sven

Postby pick and shovel » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:12 pm

Not saying these times are remotely like the dungeon times but we do seem to be heading in a downward direction
1959/60 the promotion season was my first and possibly one of the best
pick and shovel

Postby bluebird7291 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:52 pm

The croup of youth we got coming through and the players named are both ex Barry Town.... Come on.
bluebird7291

Postby Isawgarystevensscoreagoal » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:03 am

Not sure "we've let any one go" who has made any sort of impression at the level we've been at or above. If someone leaves us and forges a career at lower league, good for them. Doesn't mean cardiff city made a mistake.

I'm not sure what's worse though, that no youngsters have left for bigger things or that they haven't?

Hughes at Preston left us for Newport and has made a living but would he have made us any better if he'd been here? Sala leaving Chelsea probably even bigger than the other examples quoted.
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal

Postby Ray Bishop » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:41 am

Sion Spence has been sat on the bench for Rovers most of the season. I know he scored a couple the other day, but he’s hardly pulling up trees at the club.
Ray Bishop

Postby Sven » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:06 am

Ray Bishop wrote:Sion Spence has been sat on the bench for Rovers most of the season. I know he scored a couple the other day, but he’s hardly pulling up trees at the club.

Shhhh, don't spoil it, mun...! ;) :laughing6: :thumbright:
Sven

Postby Abergavenny » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:23 pm

Let the players do or achieve something before you put any blame on the club Sion has been on the bench at lowly rovers most of this season Yes he scored a couple of goals the other night in a game that went to over time Subbed yesterday after 64 minutes
Nothing he has done yet would say we balls up on this player
Only time will tell but no one player that has left has come back to haunt us as a great mistake in letting go
Abergavenny

Return to General Chat