Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

STEVE MORISON PIVOTAL IN 'HUDS' APPOINTMENT

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:22 pm

Cardiff City manager Steve Morison was pivotal in appointing Mark Hudson
By Glenn Williams

Cardiff City's coaching staff added a sizeable clout when it was announced that Mark Hudson was to come on board.

While Steve Morison and Tom Ramasut had done a lot in their short space of time to convince large swathes of Bluebirds fans that they were the right men to take charge permanently, it was obvious they needed another body in the building.

Indeed, Hudson was as short at 16/1 to take over as manager at one time. That connection with Cardiff prompted many to want him back at the club in some capacity and they seemingly got their wish.

But they have Morison to thank for that. The Cardiff boss revealed on Wednesday that it was he who made the decisive phone call, adamant that Hudson was the type of coach and personality he wanted as part of the staff to drive the club forward.

Morison said his call was met with an extreme eagerness from Bluebirds fan favourite Hudson.

"One thing I wanted to do, if I took the job, was to bring another member of staff in," Morison said.

"We lost James Rowberry, who had been here for a hell of a long time and is a really good coach - he is doing fantastic at Newport. We needed another member of staff.

"I did my homework and [Hudson] was someone I was really interested in speaking to. I made contact with Mark and he was so keen to get involved.

"I put it to the board and they were unanimous in agreeing that it was a really good appointment and something that would be beneficial for the football club. I thank them hugely for allowing me to do that and having the trust in me to find the right person.

"I could have gone and got one of my mates, if I wanted to, but that’s not what was right for me or the football club and that’s what it’s all about.

"[The board] had their conversations with Mark to make sure he was aligned to what we wanted to do and on Monday morning we were ready to go.
"

The first port of call for Hudson, one would think, is sorting this sub-par Cardiff defence.

If the Bluebirds are to break free from the threat of relegation, the rate at which they are conceding goals needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency.

Cardiff have the second worst defensive record in the league as things stand and you can talk about a lack of creativity until you are blue in the face, but if goals continue to fly in past them then they aren't going anywhere too quickly.

Speaking on the Sky Sports EFL Podcast, pundit and commentator Don Goodman said: “In terms of Steve, he has changed the ethos a little bit but the one thing that he really, really will need to focus on and fix is the alarming rate in which they are shipping goals.

“They have let 31 goals in in 17 games.

“I mean that is way, way too many, there is only Peterborough that have let in more goals than that so if you’re going to leak goals at that rate it really makes winning football matches very, very difficult.

Hudson was one of Cardiff's best defenders in recent memory. A shrewd tactician on the pitch, he was as good in the air as he was reading the game on the ground and Cardiff fans will hope that transcends into his coaching style.

Morison said that due to limited coaching staff, they were only able to focus on certain things in the interim period. The addition of Hudson restores them to be able to concentrate on implementing a more comprehensive approach, which is needed if this wobbly defence is to be sorted out.

Speaking more specifically on how Hudson's appointment will aid Cardiff on the training ground, Morison said: "Bringing Mark in helps. We can all focus on a few more things, because one of the things we had to do in the interim period is only concentrate on certain things, because you've only got so much time and you've only got so much reach, just being the two of you.

"You should see more from us. We can reach a bit further now. Mark has played so many games at centre-half, so he can help in that department more.
"

And Hudson certainly appears to have made an instant impression since arriving on Monday morning.

Defender Perry Ng has already said the new first-team coach has been a "big help" during his first two training sessions.

"We have had two sessions with him now and he has been a big help," said Cardiff right-back Ng.

"With his experience, he is only going to get us better.

"We did a bit of defensive work yesterday, which was very good, and I think it will help us all with him in the club now.
"

Re: STEVE MORISON PIVOTAL IN 'HUDS' APPOINTMENT

Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:38 pm

Apologies just saw this topic has been done previously :thumbup: