Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW FROM SOMEONE WHO WAS THERE PRESTON 1 CARDIFF 2

Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:38 pm

I stayed overnight with the daughter. These drives there and back on the day are getting tiring so treated myself to a Travel Lodge job. No expense spared.

When I got to the ground I heard that Keiffer Moore was not on the bus. Apparently he caught Covid off de Bruyne but don't quote me on that one. No one seem concerned as only a few of us knew about it before KO. Eyebrows raised when Zimba was announced in the starting line up. it was too close to KO so no one really questioned it there.

Lets get this bit out of the way but there was absolutely no banter with the home crowd. There were hardly any of them there and they just sat in their seats motionless all the way through the game. The only noise came from us. It really was that sad from them.

Cardiff defended the end where we were for the first half. Preston had 2 half chances before taking the lead after 90 seconds. For me it was a goal more badly defended than a lucky stick your leg out in the hope you made contact. Just one of those goals that was the last thing we needed. Eyeballs looking up at the heavens like.

After that poor start I felt we huffed and puffed to get going. When we looked like we were onto something the ref seems to pull us up for anything. Zimba was trying his hardest to take control up front but the ref just blew his whistle against him for anything he did. Frustrating were starting to be heard in the away end with the biggest cheer of the half coming from when the home side were finally penalised for being offside.

For me the first half was the home side doing the counter attacking stuff because basically they did not have to play as a home side as they had the ref as the 12th man. Even with this advantage they only managed to create one other chance where they forced a save from Smithes. Besides that I thought the home side were poor and did not deserve to go into the break more than one up. I had hope that that we could get back in the game if the ref has a look in the mirror before the restart.

During the half time break some former Preston player called Mark Smith was interviewed. I think that was his name. I had never heard of him but he played in the 70 and 80 alongside Mark Lawrence then. He commented on how good the pitches are and when he played they were mud baths this time of year. That brought memories back for me. He was then asked about this game and what chances of Preston coming away with the win. He came out with the line "If we keep the defence tight we should see this through". I just prayed that he would end up eating his words.

The second half started ad we just went for it. Zimba, who struggled, was replaced by Collins and he made all the difference. After coming close from hitting the post we got our equaliser in similar fashion to Prestons goal. It came from a set piece but this time it was clinically finished with a header from McGuinness on the far post where I was stood.

This was the time I realised how few home fans there were. When we score I like to give a bit of stick to the opposing fans, that's the rebel in me. So there I was giving it the big one to them only to realise I was communicating with empty seats.

Now there was this chap in front of me who did not return to his seat for the restart until we got the equaliser. He asked me for a description of the goal which I gave him then he said "It was so and so fault for me missing it". No prizes for guessing who this chap was.

From the restart Preston gave themselves a kick up the backside and tried to take control of the game. They struggled and we played a great counter attacking game down both of the wings. I thought Giles was excellent down the right wing from where we watch. I believed this stopped Preston pressuring too much up front and were restricted to long shots. They only managed to create one opportunity from this that forced Smithie to pull off a good save from outside the box. After that Preston hardly troubled him.

So onto the winning goal. It was a corner as you all know now and if you have watch it on say Sky you would see Collins getting to the cross in front of the home defence. However, my view was that it look like their keeper should have got it. He didn't move for it as there were at least 4 of his defenders there to head it away as it did look like the cross was going to land on at least one of their heads. So where this Cardiff head come from was beyond me at the moment in time but I didn't care.

We obviously all went wild for quite a bit of time after that goal. I turned around after the restart to see our masses pointing to the empty seats and giving them stick. I nearly shout " Why are you lot bantering with empty seats" but felt better not do that.

After that goal for me Preston look lost and we look the team more likely to get the next goal. Harris came on and he was impressive. He create a great chance for Colwill to finish the game off. I was half way celebrating and giving stick to the empty seats when in the corner of my eye I saw the ball go over the bar.

There is one moment in the game that highlighted the game for me. Preston were weary of our counter attacking in the 2nd half and that was evident when Giles collected the ball in our half after another failed Preston attack, and took on 4 of them where he forced them back to their goal area. It was obvious he was going to lose the ball and when he did he just carried on pressing their defence forcing them to concede a corner. The away support really appreciated that with the biggest cheer of the afternoon where that chap in front of me started jumping up and down clapping his hands in appreciation.

There was 5 minutes of extra time and it went very slow I've got to admit. However, our defence stood firm and handled it very well. A game of 2 halves without a doubt. We deserved the win because our half we were a lot better than they were in their half. I felt Preston would use this game to correct their wrongs, they have not been that good this season. Is it back to the drawing board for them or have we turned the corner? I still think we are not out of the woods get but we are getting there.

Re: MY VIEW FROM SOMEONE WHO WAS THERE PRESTON 1 CARDIFF 2

Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:23 pm

Thanjs, Ian. Always good to hear from someine who was there :thumbup:

No wonder you don't travel away often, if you will insist on staying in those top end establishments... ;) :lol:

Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:19 am

Who returned late to his seat please tell?

Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:26 pm

Excellent report Ian completely sums up the match :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:18 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:Who returned late to his seat please tell?

I'm fairly sure that a certain owner of a certain forum was a little late in joining us for the second half.

Probably mugged by a few hundred fans demanding selfies!! :lol:

Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:45 pm

Good review... just don’t understand the emphasis on “from someone who was there”...

Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:52 pm

RYANBLUE wrote:Good review... just don’t understand the emphasis on “from someone who was there”...

Well it could be taken one of 2 ways, either baked thinks & is pointing out that he was there & better more of a supporter than those of us who weren't OR he's just giving us a view point of someone who was there & what they experienced, saw & felt during the game. I prefer to think it was the 2nd but you can take it to mean what you want.

Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:57 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:
RYANBLUE wrote:Good review... just don’t understand the emphasis on “from someone who was there”...

Well it could be taken one of 2 ways, either baked thinks & is pointing out that he was there & better more of a supporter than those of us who weren't OR he's just giving us a view point of someone who was there & what they experienced, saw & felt during the game. I prefer to think it was the 2nd but you can take it to mean what you want.

Definitely the 2nd part.

I try to make it as real as possible.

Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:08 pm

A bit of research might have afforded you a little knowledge of the part Ian has played both on this Forum and as a Bluebird supporter

Undoubtedly, Ian (an original Moderator and stalwart of this Forum) meant the emphasis to be that the feeling can be vastly different from the terrace than the armchair :thumbright:

Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:12 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:

I’ve always taken these write ups as someone who was there to encompass the whole match day experience, including match day build up and banter in the stands. Good read as always.

Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:29 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:I stayed overnight with the daughter. These drives there and back on the day are getting tiring so treated myself to a Travel Lodge job. No expense spared.

When I got to the ground I heard that Keiffer Moore was not on the bus. Apparently he caught Covid off de Bruyne but don't quote me on that one. No one seem concerned as only a few of us knew about it before KO. Eyebrows raised when Zimba was announced in the starting line up. it was too close to KO so no one really questioned it there.

Lets get this bit out of the way but there was absolutely no banter with the home crowd. There were hardly any of them there and they just sat in their seats motionless all the way through the game. The only noise came from us. It really was that sad from them.

Cardiff defended the end where we were for the first half. Preston had 2 half chances before taking the lead after 90 seconds. For me it was a goal more badly defended than a lucky stick your leg out in the hope you made contact. Just one of those goals that was the last thing we needed. Eyeballs looking up at the heavens like.

After that poor start I felt we huffed and puffed to get going. When we looked like we were onto something the ref seems to pull us up for anything. Zimba was trying his hardest to take control up front but the ref just blew his whistle against him for anything he did. Frustrating were starting to be heard in the away end with the biggest cheer of the half coming from when the home side were finally penalised for being offside.

For me the first half was the home side doing the counter attacking stuff because basically they did not have to play as a home side as they had the ref as the 12th man. Even with this advantage they only managed to create one other chance where they forced a save from Smithes. Besides that I thought the home side were poor and did not deserve to go into the break more than one up. I had hope that that we could get back in the game if the ref has a look in the mirror before the restart.

During the half time break some former Preston player called Mark Smith was interviewed. I think that was his name. I had never heard of him but he played in the 70 and 80 alongside Mark Lawrence then. He commented on how good the pitches are and when he played they were mud baths this time of year. That brought memories back for me. He was then asked about this game and what chances of Preston coming away with the win. He came out with the line "If we keep the defence tight we should see this through". I just prayed that he would end up eating his words.

The second half started ad we just went for it. Zimba, who struggled, was replaced by Collins and he made all the difference. After coming close from hitting the post we got our equaliser in similar fashion to Prestons goal. It came from a set piece but this time it was clinically finished with a header from McGuinness on the far post where I was stood.

This was the time I realised how few home fans there were. When we score I like to give a bit of stick to the opposing fans, that's the rebel in me. So there I was giving it the big one to them only to realise I was communicating with empty seats.

Now there was this chap in front of me who did not return to his seat for the restart until we got the equaliser. He asked me for a description of the goal which I gave him then he said "It was so and so fault for me missing it". No prizes for guessing who this chap was.

From the restart Preston gave themselves a kick up the backside and tried to take control of the game. They struggled and we played a great counter attacking game down both of the wings. I thought Giles was excellent down the right wing from where we watch. I believed this stopped Preston pressuring too much up front and were restricted to long shots. They only managed to create one opportunity from this that forced Smithie to pull off a good save from outside the box. After that Preston hardly troubled him.

So onto the winning goal. It was a corner as you all know now and if you have watch it on say Sky you would see Collins getting to the cross in front of the home defence. However, my view was that it look like their keeper should have got it. He didn't move for it as there were at least 4 of his defenders there to head it away as it did look like the cross was going to land on at least one of their heads. So where this Cardiff head come from was beyond me at the moment in time but I didn't care.

We obviously all went wild for quite a bit of time after that goal. I turned around after the restart to see our masses pointing to the empty seats and giving them stick. I nearly shout " Why are you lot bantering with empty seats" but felt better not do that.

After that goal for me Preston look lost and we look the team more likely to get the next goal. Harris came on and he was impressive. He create a great chance for Colwill to finish the game off. I was half way celebrating and giving stick to the empty seats when in the corner of my eye I saw the ball go over the bar.

There is one moment in the game that highlighted the game for me. Preston were weary of our counter attacking in the 2nd half and that was evident when Giles collected the ball in our half after another failed Preston attack, and took on 4 of them where he forced them back to their goal area. It was obvious he was going to lose the ball and when he did he just carried on pressing their defence forcing them to concede a corner. The away support really appreciated that with the biggest cheer of the afternoon where that chap in front of me started jumping up and down clapping his hands in appreciation.

There was 5 minutes of extra time and it went very slow I've got to admit. However, our defence stood firm and handled it very well. A game of 2 halves without a doubt. We deserved the win because our half we were a lot better than they were in their half. I felt Preston would use this game to correct their wrongs, they have not been that good this season. Is it back to the drawing board for them or have we turned the corner? I still think we are not out of the woods get but we are getting there.

How did you rate isaak davies ??

Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:43 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:I stayed overnight with the daughter. These drives there and back on the day are getting tiring so treated myself to a Travel Lodge job. No expense spared.

How did you rate isaak davies ??

He would have gained some good experience from this. Potential is there but needs to go through difficult games like this. He held his own and hopefully will learn from it.

Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:47 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:57 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:

Bloke in the pink jacket seems to be enjoying himself.