Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ James Collins ‘

Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:13 am

Steve Morison believes James Collins' match-winning contribution against Preston North End was the striker's just reward for how diligently he has worked behind the scenes following his move to Cardiff City.

The Republic of Ireland striker was signed on a free transfer in the summer, having enjoyed a successful spell with Luton Town.

However, after going 16 games without scoring and having suffered a broken thumb, it's fair to say life hasn't been all rosy since his move to the Welsh capital.

But up at Deepdale he was magnificent. He did everything you could ask of him in that second half and there was no one more deserving to pop up and score the winner, netting his first City goal in the process.

"Would he have lasted 90 minutes? I don't know," Morison said. "But he gave us a fantastic 45 minutes.

"The old adage, you work hard and you get your rewards. He worked really hard and he got his just rewards with a goal.

"Excellent from him and I'm really, really pleased.

"Lots of these players are confidence players. They play on that edge when they are confident.

"The way he performed in that second half, the first thing he did was a little Cruyff turn on the far side and laid it inside. From that moment you could see everything he was touching was really good.

"When he rose to head that ball in, it was a lovely goal. Hopefully there is more to come.

"It's no different to when Kieffer [Moore] got that goal against Stoke, next thing you know he's four in four for club and country.

"On to the next one."

For Collins, he felt the weight of expectation on his shoulders after a barren goal run, but he, too, hopes this winning goal can help kick-start his season in earnest.

"On a personal level for me, my own performances and goal ratio have been poor," Collins said after the match.

"I expect more from myself, first and foremost. I was brought to this club to score goals and no one will be a bigger critic of me than myself.

"I'm just delighted to get that weight off my shoulders. I've been desperate to score and have been working so hard on the training pitch and in games. And luckily my reward has come.

"Hopefully more will come now and I can get a good run going and kick on from now."

When asked whether the lack of goals had been playing on his mind, he replied: "Of course it does. Any striker who doesn't is probably lying because strikers are there to score goals.

"If you go so many games without scoring, especially when the team isn't winning, it has been playing on my mind. But I've stuck at it, worked hard and when that chance comes put it away, like today.

"To get three points on the road makes it more special."

Whether or not Collins gets a chance from the off on Wednesday night against Hull City remains to be seen, and likely hinges on the fitness of Kieffer Moore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ James Collins ‘

Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:27 am

He's had plenty of criticism this year and even unfair comparisons with Gary Madine. I think he's honest and hardworking and was definitely the difference yesterday.

Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:43 am

EastleighBlue wrote:He's had plenty of criticism this year and even unfair comparisons with Gary Madine. I think he's honest and hardworking and was definitely the difference yesterday.

Very unfair comparison as one didn’t give a sh!t and the other works his nuts off. He’a not shown he’s championship standard up to now but let’s hope that changes.

Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:07 am

EastleighBlue wrote:He's had plenty of criticism this year and even unfair comparisons with Gary Madine. I think he's honest and hardworking and was definitely the difference yesterday.

That's been said before. I didn't agree but equally I accept one goal does not a season make. Goal striker's goal though :ayatollah:

Keiffer back on Wednesday? Either way, let's hope James Collins cintinues to work hard and continues to get his rewards when called upon :thumbright:

Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:24 pm

I thought he was excellent when he came on. Really bullied their defenders and deserved a goal. It would be great to have him and KM scoring regularly over the next few games. Im betting on us breaking our first half scoring duck against Hull. :thumbright:

Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:06 pm

Very harsh to criticise our strikers up to now since their service was non-existent under the awful MM.
I believe Collins will play an important part going forward

Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:36 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Very harsh to criticise our strikers up to now since their service was non-existent under the awful MM.
I believe Collins will play an important part going forward

Not really, as he has missed a few " sitters", but lets hope now he's got that monkey off his back, he can kick on, and bag a few more!

Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:13 pm

Collins played a big part in turning the game

He’s a decent striker - has scored 170+ goals, just not had a lot of luck.

Works hard and links well. Would like to see him or Harris ( who was also excellent)or Davies with Moore and Colwill behind at 10 on Weds.

Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:23 pm

Lawnmower wrote:Collins played a big part in turning the game

Works hard and links well. Would like to see him or Harris ( who was also excellent)or Davies with Moore and Colwill behind at 10 on Weds.

May as well rest Moore or just have him on bench Saturday win gives more breathing space to get him properly fit better to miss 2 games than 6 or more

Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:29 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:Collins played a big part in turning the game

May as well rest Moore or just have him on bench Saturday win gives more breathing space to get him properly fit better to miss 2 games than 6 or more

Hull Wednesday Al. :bluescarf: